TWO Birthdays are a b***h

TWO Birthdays are a b***h

A Chapter by Lyn Anderson
"

making room for baby.

"
Kara's birthday. 2004. She is 7 months pregnant. She wants help setting up the baby's room.

     "Tom," Kara says, "would you mind coming and helping me set up the crib?"
Tom is playing video games. His favourite past time, after smoking dope, that is.
"Uh, can't we do it later?" he growls angrily. "The kid's not even due for two months."
     Kara resists the urge to remind Tom that it is her birthday.
"Never mind," Kara says quietly. She gets out the screws, the instructions, and the tools,  and builds the crib.
Tom comes in as she is finishing up. "What a f*****g b***h you are."
Kara looks at her husband blankly. A pat on the back would have been nice, but insults are definitely unwarranted.
Tom continues. "You just had to prove you are better than me."
Kara bites her lip, feeling sorry for herself to the core of her being, tears running down her cheeks. How did it come to this, she thinks.
     She spends the rest of her birthday with the baby's room door closed, gluing fabric to the trunk, fixing the ornaments; organizing. She finds it easier to deal with the little things she can control than the little things she can't.
She writes a poem. The happiest birthday ever, because she is pregnant. Or, at least that is what she will tell her child some day ...




© 2014 Lyn Anderson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

One day that baby will know the truth, if he/she doesn't already.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thanks. Yes, I suppose that is inevitable.
Yet more detail and an image of a man with a definite personality disorder. Again Kara is into avoidance and diversion and who can blame her.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading. I really wanted to share this again. Writing gets buried in this place sometimes.. read more
I cannot tell you how many times I have had moments like this... why are some men intimidated by intelligence and wish to make you feel awful because of it.. or independence... I know that overwhelming sadness that takes over and the tears just pour... you just sit there by yourself and wonder how you got there... where the hell did it go so wrong... what did you do... how can you fix.. will it ever be right... so moving.... it is the little moments like this that break you down, piece by piece... great addition...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much for reading and reviewing. It was your poem that prompted me to send it.
Tom seems to be a genuine a*****e.I have said that before but lord.I have no words.I felt the sadness and emotions in this one Kit Kat deep down in my heart.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

10 Years Ago

Yeah it was tough.
Oh, wow. This is so sad! You definitely have made my heart ache here in this one small chapter. Putting the crib together should be a team effort, but he can't even take the time to help her because he is selfish. Then, he turns it around on her after she is nearly finished. Painful. I know those feelings all too well. It gives you a sense of emotional whiplash. Great job with this and I can't wait for more! xo (:

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much. It is coming.
Great first chapter to what looks like an exciting Story unfolding.....

Nice job...


YB

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

10 Years Ago

Thanks, more on the way.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

291 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 8, 2014
Last Updated on August 12, 2014
Tags: marriage, abuse, unhappiness, sexless marriage, anger, loneliness, loss


Author

Lyn Anderson
Lyn Anderson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I write under a pseudonym. I don't do Read Requests, but you can PM me if you want me to read something specific. I make friends with people who I read and interact with. I won't accept random reque.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..