The Book of Us

The Book of Us

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

(one from the archives)

"
That book of us, is slim it's true,
its hardback cover turquoise blue,
its title bold, its letters gold
and there upon a page inside
in print that's smudged by tears which fell,
the only words I wish to say
and why with pain I walked away.
"I loved you well but I could tell
that butterfly inside of you
had squandered us, had wandered on
with ease it seems and little fuss.
My dear you were the death of us."

© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Gosh my dear! how with your masterful pen You brought unrequited love alive again. there is love, but there is not equal love, no equal give and take... how much courage it takes one to be firmed and decide to walk away, not only for oneself but also to the other part, to leave them so they can learn and grow. I find real wisdom here dear Chris.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thanks for your thoughtful review lightsong. Pleased to have you stop by.

Chris



Reviews

To remember past hurts and to finally understand how they happened is freeing. Tears shed over another person wear away the soul, but understanding helps us move on. Your rhyme and rhythm are always spot on. Great work. Lydi**

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thanks Lydi**. Your thoughts very welcome.

Chris
There's a nostalgia to this piece that speaks eloquently to the heart. You've penned it beautifully, Chris.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thanks Kelly. Yes, a little nostalgia here that still pulls at the heart. All good wishes, hopi.. read more
This is too phenomenal, Chris.
You've written so well on what I would call a mystery of relationship.
The pains we passed through, the joy we should have enjoyed and a hope that staggered, sometimes give us a painful reason to move on.
It's never a good experience but ever a wonderful story to tell.

Brilliantly writing!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you Kay for your thoughtful and beautiful review. All good wishes.

Chris
Such a heartfelt and beautiful write ;-} loved the emotions flowing through it.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Dear Weeping willow thank you so much for your lovely review. Pleased you enjoyed the read.
<.. read more
The exterior of the book that held the short , sweet and sad story is stunning... but inside there are tear smudged pages held pain .... you know how to paint memories in bold beautiful colors, chris.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thanks Mrudula. Your reviews are so welcome. All good wishes to you.

Chris
some lost lonesome sentiment for our eyes to grace

ink well forged in your pen Ms. Christine


L.S

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thanks LitStar for your thoughts.

Chris
Some people run away when they feel too much.
So glad you pulled this solid piece of poetry from the past out so we could take it in.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you Dale for your thoughts on this one. Much aporeciated.

Chris
Wow, what a remarkable poem Chris, nicely mixed to perfection about life, love, living and romance, the hurts and pains The book of life true enough Chris. That we all at add to daily in our own life's. And what hurts us makes us stronger in the long run no matter regards romances and life in general. Even though at the time. We don't ever think we will overcome the hurt and rejection caused by someone who was once so closed to us. But we do. Eventually. And yes it does leave a mark on our heart and soul. And adds to our chapter in our life's book.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

All part of life's rich tapestry Dawn. Thank you for your lovely review.

Chris
“My dear you were the death of us.”- the penultimate final chapter of an ‘us’. Chris, your lyrical style and deft rhyme combined with stellar metaphor use, create a perfect poetic rendering of an exhausted relationship. Yes, butterflies are free and love, often, is not. And so, we let it go... Beautiful, personal, meaningful poem.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Hard to let go Annette, but it is a brave face on the inevitable. Thank you so much for your lovely .. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Bootiful Chris, bootiful.
How many will relate to this eh !!
Your archives must be some size m'dear :))
Hope you are well

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Oops, hope you don't mind me shortening your name, very forward of me :)
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Hello Gee. Course not. I'm Chris. Only Christine if you get mad at me. I always knew when I was in t.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1047 Views
59 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 2, 2019
Last Updated on July 2, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren