Surrounded by Silence

Surrounded by Silence

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

(captcha says fecal)

"
consider ..............
a life without sound
where you become locked
inside your own thoughts
caught in a world of silence

unable to hear the bark
of branches of a silver birch
as they creak under the weight
of a heavy green canopy

or the drone of honey bees 
as they hover over honeysuckle
tumbling from fretwork trellis
like a fountain in spring

nor would you hear the high
pitch whistle of a red kite as it
soars in flight in a bright blue
sky ready to swoop for a kill 

the thrum of an old engine
polished till gleaming as it
kick starts its way into a brand
new day would be unheard

as would the mellow voice
of a lover whispering sweet words
that you are loved beyond all
measure

hearing is a gift, a good friend
a treasure trove since there
are no guarantees that it will
remain unimpaired

© 2020 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really enjoyed reading this poem. It allowed me to appreciate my ability to hear a lot more and makes me wonder just how different and even difficult life without sound is for hearing impaired individuals. Thank you for allowing me to ponder on what life would be like without sound, Chris.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. I appreciate them.



Reviews

"the mellow voice
of a lover whispering sweet words
that you are loved beyond all
measure"

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Sami.
"consider ..............
a life without sound
where you become locked
inside your own thoughts
caught in a world of silence"

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Sami.
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Muchly welcome...
A silent world would be a lonely and terrifying place to find yourself in Chris. I SAID A SILENT WORLD WOULD BE A LONELY PLACE INDEED!
To know longer hear favourite music, sounds of familiar voices and of course, the wake up sounds of dawns chorus,stream slipping by, wind rustling leaves... Would be a terible place to find yourself in.
Empathy abounds in your lines and brings to mind little Lorry, age 6 and a half almost's fearful thoughts of going blind, deaf or mute and being locked into an ever silent, unseeing or voiceless world... Which itself led to even scarier thoughts and realisations that your parents will die one day and you start the slow descent into madness, aka, life.
And ill end on that cheery note 😀


Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lorry

1 Year Ago

Yes. This week we're even revisiting the cold War by wondering if WW3 is about to begin. It was only.. read more
Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

You know I was always partial to those shoulder pads and Kim Wilde hair:))Yeah WW3, never a dull
read more
Lorry

1 Year Ago

I suited neither 😊
To be in a world of silence feels quite mystical. And yet I know some great people who make up for the loss of this sense by honing or sharpening their other senses. With their keen sense of smell and their eagle eyes. Really, being with them i wouldn't even realize i was with someone who cannot hear. Often they're so well adjusted and developed that they're superior at handling everyday situations than us. A thoughtful poem that I loved reading absolutely.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Dear DIVYA, I have heard that too, how the loss of one of the senses can make the others sharper. We.. read more
DIVYA

3 Years Ago

Indeed, dear friend, life must be appreciated in all its color, sound and visual glory! Hugs to you.. read more
Chris, hearing truly is a gift. You have delicately and precisely articulated this gift that some may not even notice at times. A wonderful reminder to be a little more mindful and grateful. Your poem is beautiful in content and images. :)

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Sue for your thoughtful review. Pleased you enjoyed my pondering.

Chris
Ladysue

3 Years Ago

Your welcome.. :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
To don't hear the sound and human voice. It's can make life - lifeless . Special when you was born not deaf. But lost your hearing during the life time. Which is not rare. We are living in noises and our ears are not made for them. Same like we are not made to be live at prison etc. To don't hear my favorite songs and voice of my wife that will be great punishment for me. You created here very strong atmosphere of isolation and solitude. Each stanza expanding imagination into beautiful metaphors with sad taste of losing something what make us not just alive but also humans.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Many thank yous Martin for your thoughtful response. Your visits are much appreciated.

.. read more
My father and younger brother both wear hearing aids.
I imagine for them putting in their hearing aid is much like me putting my glasses on.
There's a whole world out there we are missing out on when we can't see it hear it.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Ana. At least technogy is improving now. I know several people who have hearing aids and s.. read more
Ana Papaya

3 Years Ago

Yes, we sure do.... and you're welcome. ;)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
A loss of any sense is quite underrated; we depend on them so much, taking them for granted and when we lose one the result can be quite defining. We can become alienated from normal life and it is difficult to feel a part of normal society in some ways. It's a theme i can relate toand one which I have seen experienced by my own close loved ones. As you said, hearing is a gift and we should be grateful for its bounty. So well written, Christine. Touching and original.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you so much Jamila. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. All good wishes.

Ch.. read more
I set off thinking this a metaphor and indeed it is and takes us through some of the sounds that we often take for granted. To be unable to hear them and to simply live inside one's own thoughts is indeed not a nice contemplation. Nicely penned in colourful detail and crisp verse.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Many thanks John for reviewing and sharing your thoughts. Appreciated.

Chris

5
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

779 Views
50 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 2, 2020
Last Updated on September 2, 2020

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..