Albatrosses and Heavyweights

Albatrosses and Heavyweights

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

(don't tell me you've never had any)

"
can you forgive
your own failures
and own those albatrosses
that hang round your neck
as a reminder of past  cringes?

can you look them
straight in the eye
without a trace of hesitation
without hiding behind
that furrowed brow
sending tramlines across
your forehead?

instead of running
in the opposite direction
can you remain rooted
can you accept responsibility
for the part you played?

can you embrace your faults
with arms open wide
casting aside all delays
square up to them 
shoulder to shoulder
stand tall?

instead of condemning others
old friends, lovers, family
anyone at all
for the small part they may
have played
can you willingly say

it's a new day
this is the way forward
hands on heart
a fresh beginning

accept you could have 
fared better, expose yourself
unclothe yourself to the eyes 
of others and ask for their
understanding

WELL CAN YOU?

© 2021 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Nope. Just kidding. Maybe? I'm so strong at certain times, especially in stressful moments, some say, but there is definitely a coward hiding underneath this skin on certain things. Good in an emergency, awful in a tangible emotional situation. I'm sure we all have flaws, but I've done my share of running. I like how you phrase this work as almost a challenge. One would say it could be a poem to self, more like a poem to us all. I think I will have to ponder your question. Phenomenal intensity.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

You are too kind. We all have our flaws. I am well aware of mine. Thanks CD.

Chris



Reviews

Uhm, I'm afraid I can't.
If I could - and I'm kind of considering the possibility almost daily - I might not write any more. That, I admit, is a kind of fear I have. It's all very messy...
The question the poem asks is very-very important. It also suggests the answer, the right course of action.
For many, I'm sure, it's like a bolt of lightning that hits them saying, "It is possible!"

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

You carry a heavy burden if you can't forgive yourself for actions in the past. However if you think.. read more
In that moment we do right by ourselves and if anyone opposes that we immediately go into defensive mode. But over time and as we grow older we realise our mistakes and eventually own up to our mistakes and failures. I've never blamed anyone for my mistakes I've always judged myself harshly.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a thoughtful comment. I too am my worse critic :)

read more
♔ CrownedDevil ☾

2 Years Ago

Anytime :) We all are our own worst critic and enemy haha!
Looking into the mirror of truth has always been a hard thing to do.

There is a message in this poem that rings out to every person on the planet.

Beccy.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Many thanks Beccy. Appreciate your thoughts.

Chris
It has been my long-time belief that the true business of writing doesn't begin until we can stop our nasty human habit of assigning blame & using diversionary tactics to avoid telling a story the way it went down. Once we get outside the blame game, all human foibles are simply interesting to read & write about. Your "dressing down" comes across as a well-stated comeuppance for many (((HUGS)))

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Margie. Always good to have you stop by and share your thoughts. Have a great weekend.
read more
CAN I ? ...
Funny, how we humans so often assume we are are alone in our "sins."
Every day I live side-by-side with CRINGE as memories randomly assault me.
To my credit, and curse, I almost-exclusively blame myself.
...WELL, CAN I ? ...Can't promise, but I'll try :)
Thanks,
Dylan

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thanks Dylan for stopping by. None of us is perfick. We all have our albatrosses hanging round our n.. read more
Hi, Chris. This is quite a dilemma you’ve posed for us. It is never easy to face yourself and say this is me and I am flawed and I can accept that. I have begun therapy this year and am being asked to accept things that I never imagined I could acknowledge let alone accept. I am beginning to understand the importance of acceptance both of self and of situations out of our control. Your poem struck a chord for me. Being completely honest with the self is never exactly easy. You challenge us to be open and honest with things that may feel uncomfortable but I think the implication is that if we are and can be so collectively, what a burden will be lifted from our shoulders. The heavy lay of the albatross can be allowed to drift away. It’s a balm for the mind and heart. I do always enjoy your work so much. The way you present things we can all understand and with grace and beauty.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Hi Eilis, so good to have a visit from you, with your shared thoughts. I found what you conveyed so .. read more
An "in your face" irreverence. I like it. Happiness comes from wiithin you, and to forgive is divine. Your Ire doesn't run away in your prose, and you ask simply, can someone change? Serious stuff. High eyebrow! Some cannot and some can. I surround myself with those who know the diffrerence.


Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Andy. Yes a different type of write for me. So pleased to find you here. Have a wonderful .. read more
Pause, take a breath and look through the eyes of others at what they see in you. It only took me fmphn fmph years to get there, but yes, where once I saw flawless, blemish free me, I eventually realised I was looking into a black mirror with sunglasses on.
Perhaps I should have warned you to sit down before saying this, but my forehead now looks like the crime scene of a multi vehicle psychedelic tram crash, with lines not only running across my head, but up and down too, perhaps from hiding my head in shame by trying to suffocate myself with the pillow by lying face down on it.
Whoever would have thunk it, but I am imperfecteratedly flod.
No Chris, 'tis true! 😊


Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Hello Lorry. Thanks for checking in. I have to say none of us is blemish free. We all have our imper.. read more
Ooh, this is an intense one! Honest questions, but it's such a good feeling to be able to face something awful in the past, look it in the eye, and say you don't care. To someone who can't do it just yet, it feels like a worthless fantasy, but it's real! Although, it can be awfully easy to revert back into your old shell. Thank you for sharing, and I hope you're doing alright. (: Take breaks whenever you need them and take care!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Colacat. I am well and currently on the river in our boat. Beautiful it is. This poem was .. read more
Vertigo Cat1111

2 Years Ago

That sounds absolutely beautiful. I often do that with my poetry, too! I forget about certain pieces.. read more
I like albatross, the strength and adaptable traits.
points to ponder upon....

Posted 2 Years Ago


Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Many thanks for stopping by on my page.

Chris

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

828 Views
40 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 20, 2021
Last Updated on July 20, 2021

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing
My love My love

A Poem by Chris Shaw



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee


Haiku #21 Haiku #21

A Poem by mattavelli