Sink or Swim

Sink or Swim

A Poem by AaronFreitas
"

Every once in a while I just write in no particular format, don't edit hardly anything and post it. Just raw thoughts. These came as I was sitting on my porch thinking all alone.

"

If I could capture this moment... this time of my life, it would probably look something like a statue of a broken man... blunt in hand and a beer in the other staring up at passing clouds that turn to a clear night and stars wondering where do I go from here? How do I move forward with life? Right now I'm slowly deteriorating like decaying wax in a candle jar and my life is melting before my eyes. I've got to get up and do something with myself instead of wondering how to categorize these thoughts of mine. Even the small ant that slowly crawls up my leg as I write this is chasing a bigger dream than I.... the ant thinks about reaching the top as I observe and wallow in self-pity and wonder what could have been. Well.... what can become? It’s time to get up and grasp a dream and start chasing with a full head of steam. I just hope I don't hit the ground too hard when I fall... but I will get back up and keep chasing that dream because in life we sink or swim and I've already sunk to the bottom... all that's left is to lightly tread back to some familiarity.

© 2015 AaronFreitas


Author's Note

AaronFreitas
Let me know your thoughts please :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love all the imagery, it's like I'm there with you, sinking except, well it's never too deep. I haven't reached the bottom, or I have and I'm okay with it? So what if we have dreams in life, and what is next for us after we've reached our goals, Life is pointless no matter how big or small our dreams are. Sinking in the void that is left by this life we had no word in is only natural, we don't know what we are doing here, it's an endless circle, dreaming and feeling like we could fly, then losing hope and sinking to the bottom of despair, either way, it's absurd.

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

You make a great point Luna :) Sometimes you are damned at the top and damned at the bottom... I gu.. read more



Reviews

OUTSTANDING! OMG! I can totally relate myself to your thoughts, believe it or not, I had these thoughts many many times. WOW! I am just shocked. Awesome write. Your words, your thoughts are just like Deep deep thoughts of a Poet.. Great work dear Poet. Thanks for sharing such a nice piece of work. Love it :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Destiny Dreamer

8 Years Ago

Your deserve them. You are WELCOME! :) :D
Destiny Dreamer

8 Years Ago

Oops it's "You*"
AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

haha thank you my friend :)
an aquarium of thoughts! Amazing thoughts.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you irenic :) I like doing these writes and just sharing what goes through my mind sometimes .. read more
Struggle means to be a good result. Go on with this...
Never give up.
but I will get back up and keep chasing that dream because in life we sink or swim and I've already sunk to the bottom... all that's left is to lightly tread back to some familiarity.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much Saddam :) appreciate your review my friend :)
marvelously introspective for something that came about while you were merely sitting on your front porch Aaron

i love introspection, and use it alot as a device myself in my writings

as for the message itself
i think this quote helps

''when youre at the very bottom, there's nowhere to go but up''


thanks for sharing this
it's inspiring in its own way


-Dream


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much Literary Artist Dream :) I enjoy just breaking from any format and just writing.. read more
closed

8 Years Ago

i know what you mean
i'm always trying new things with my writing

and i get in.. read more
great as far as writing is concerned..........sad that this seems personal.......
unfortunately i am in a similar place........
maybe we are never supposed to reach anywhere........maybe we are supposed to just get up everything and keep on......
the ambiguity is painful........but does make this interesting.....
:)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thanks buddy... I think I tend to crawl there at times to that dark place and usually writing about .. read more
Pushkar Prabhat

8 Years Ago

i like the darkness too........always a pleasure Aaron!!! :) :)
hard times,lord i`ve had a few so i can relate,great write

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thanks buddy I appreciate your review :) You are a true friend :)
I really like this because at one point in every life there is a time a person goes through this. You will always either sink or swim and my whole life I have fought against sinking to only find my self swimming for the top again.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

It is a good analogy and one that I am glad you can relate to... sometimes we find ourselves at the .. read more
Tori

8 Years Ago

No problem I love your writing:)
that'll do for me

I struggle though with poetry written in prose..I mean.....WHICH IS IT?

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you Dr. Wood... honestly I just write... first I had it as a story and someone said it was pro.. read more
I think this is some of your best work, Aaron! Great job! I especially love the line, "...I observe and wallow in self-pity and wonder what could have been. Well.... what can become?" Beautiful and powerful!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much Emily :) I'm glad you like that line it was an important one in this write. Th.. read more
Emily

8 Years Ago

No problem! You're a great writer.
AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much... brought a smile to my face :)
For raw thoughts, these are diamonds. The words shine with your emotions and your creativity. I smiled when I got to the part about the ant as I could relate comparing myself to any insects I could find around while I typed while depressed. We feel really worthless at times, and then there are those other times too when we feel good about ourselves. We can't be in the same state of mind all our lifespan. What you captured in here is like a pre-jumping phase if I may call it so. You see you're going to be lost completely if you don't make a jump out of the state. The good things here are that you realize your position, you resent it and you know what you want to do. Grasp a dream. I wish you a happy and successful chase, Aaron.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much Rana :) I like the ant part too and it was something completely random... I act.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2618 Views
86 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 23, 2015
Last Updated on May 24, 2015

Author

AaronFreitas
AaronFreitas

CA



About
I love to write, most my work tends to be on the darker side. I write from my heart and tend not to mess with it too much. I guess sometimes I write and post without focusing on what everyone else w.. more..

Writing
Reality Reality

A Poem by AaronFreitas



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cool Sand Cool Sand

A Poem by MsJewel