Sink or Swim

Sink or Swim

A Poem by AaronFreitas
"

Every once in a while I just write in no particular format, don't edit hardly anything and post it. Just raw thoughts. These came as I was sitting on my porch thinking all alone.

"

If I could capture this moment... this time of my life, it would probably look something like a statue of a broken man... blunt in hand and a beer in the other staring up at passing clouds that turn to a clear night and stars wondering where do I go from here? How do I move forward with life? Right now I'm slowly deteriorating like decaying wax in a candle jar and my life is melting before my eyes. I've got to get up and do something with myself instead of wondering how to categorize these thoughts of mine. Even the small ant that slowly crawls up my leg as I write this is chasing a bigger dream than I.... the ant thinks about reaching the top as I observe and wallow in self-pity and wonder what could have been. Well.... what can become? It’s time to get up and grasp a dream and start chasing with a full head of steam. I just hope I don't hit the ground too hard when I fall... but I will get back up and keep chasing that dream because in life we sink or swim and I've already sunk to the bottom... all that's left is to lightly tread back to some familiarity.

© 2015 AaronFreitas


Author's Note

AaronFreitas
Let me know your thoughts please :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love all the imagery, it's like I'm there with you, sinking except, well it's never too deep. I haven't reached the bottom, or I have and I'm okay with it? So what if we have dreams in life, and what is next for us after we've reached our goals, Life is pointless no matter how big or small our dreams are. Sinking in the void that is left by this life we had no word in is only natural, we don't know what we are doing here, it's an endless circle, dreaming and feeling like we could fly, then losing hope and sinking to the bottom of despair, either way, it's absurd.

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

You make a great point Luna :) Sometimes you are damned at the top and damned at the bottom... I gu.. read more



Reviews

I like your frank, realistic honesty. Goals take a lot of hard work, and often the time is not right, and failure is the result. Sometimes it requires reassessing the goal and starting over. Sometimes that reassessment results in you getting up, dusting the dirt off your butt, and trying over. Remember, Abraham Lincoln failed about 15 times before his life turned around. Just don't ever stop giving up the fight.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thats a great motivator to know our President Lincoln failed so many times before he succeeded... ma.. read more
Bright Ocean Star

8 Years Ago

you are welcome.
Aaron...I thought this was one of your most brilliant works ever. A train of thought that is fluid, painful, but resolute in the end. I hope you don't think of yourself that way, at least not often. You are a talented and wonderful person who will go very far. I guess we all just need a little push to our bottoms sometimes. I like how you humanized the ant into something greater (but who knows maybe ants have a conscious of their own), that it has a purpose that never dies. We can only hope the same for us!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much Nadia :) No I don't think of myself that way... all the time lol... you know how .. read more
This is a very good write
Hope to read more.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much Zac... I appreciate your kind words :)
Good one Aaron. Life shows you dark and bright side. Only you can decide whether you want to die in the darkness with fighting back or buck up and fight the darkness to welcome the sunshine.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

You got it absolutely right Mitali :) I appreciate your review my friend :)
Mitali Shah

8 Years Ago

Your welcome dear :)
You have pictured quite a moment in your thoughts, and that you are able to continue chasing dreams shows so much. I couldn't help thinking of the pixar movie UP as well whilst reading this, and you are right to suggest that no matter what one should continue pursuing and chasing dreams. Not let anything allow one to sit idly by with thoughts racing around wondering 'what if?' Very good motivational piece for those of all ages. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I hope all the dreams you chase come true and make you feel brand new!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you Nadia... I am glad you read it that way and saw the positivity in. Even though we get down.. read more
I think many can relate to your words. Life can bring dark times, but we must pick ourselves up and look for that light (however dim it may be). The great thing is that you recognize this. Dreams are there - follow those dreams. With that said - I really love the way in which you wrote this...random thoughts spilling upon the page - written from the soul.

Julie

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much Julie.. I know to the readers that always read my stuff have to be saying when i.. read more
its good, love how you play with words

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much :) It's fun to just write and let things come out sometimes
its good, love how you play with words

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Keep up the good work! I liked it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you pratik... I will definitely keep trying my friend :)
As long as you have a beer in hand, you can swim. You can't swim when you're dry! Your writing seems raw and honest, though hopefully it's in the fiction category. Well, some of it anyway.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Yeah I was just saying in another response I don't live in a dark place with pure dark thoughts... y.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2618 Views
86 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 23, 2015
Last Updated on May 24, 2015

Author

AaronFreitas
AaronFreitas

CA



About
I love to write, most my work tends to be on the darker side. I write from my heart and tend not to mess with it too much. I guess sometimes I write and post without focusing on what everyone else w.. more..

Writing
Reality Reality

A Poem by AaronFreitas



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cool Sand Cool Sand

A Poem by MsJewel


I'm Sorry I'm Sorry

A Poem by Cool Girl