Sink or Swim

Sink or Swim

A Poem by AaronFreitas
"

Every once in a while I just write in no particular format, don't edit hardly anything and post it. Just raw thoughts. These came as I was sitting on my porch thinking all alone.

"

If I could capture this moment... this time of my life, it would probably look something like a statue of a broken man... blunt in hand and a beer in the other staring up at passing clouds that turn to a clear night and stars wondering where do I go from here? How do I move forward with life? Right now I'm slowly deteriorating like decaying wax in a candle jar and my life is melting before my eyes. I've got to get up and do something with myself instead of wondering how to categorize these thoughts of mine. Even the small ant that slowly crawls up my leg as I write this is chasing a bigger dream than I.... the ant thinks about reaching the top as I observe and wallow in self-pity and wonder what could have been. Well.... what can become? It’s time to get up and grasp a dream and start chasing with a full head of steam. I just hope I don't hit the ground too hard when I fall... but I will get back up and keep chasing that dream because in life we sink or swim and I've already sunk to the bottom... all that's left is to lightly tread back to some familiarity.

© 2015 AaronFreitas


Author's Note

AaronFreitas
Let me know your thoughts please :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love all the imagery, it's like I'm there with you, sinking except, well it's never too deep. I haven't reached the bottom, or I have and I'm okay with it? So what if we have dreams in life, and what is next for us after we've reached our goals, Life is pointless no matter how big or small our dreams are. Sinking in the void that is left by this life we had no word in is only natural, we don't know what we are doing here, it's an endless circle, dreaming and feeling like we could fly, then losing hope and sinking to the bottom of despair, either way, it's absurd.

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

You make a great point Luna :) Sometimes you are damned at the top and damned at the bottom... I gu.. read more



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
~
Yes, time to get off your butt and chase the most beautiful dream ever :D :D LOL -- sorry, i had to say it. I like your thought process, and how you finish it with a hopeful sign. Go for it man!! :D

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Haha but Scarlett Johanssen is already taken! lol jk :) I like these writes... they are always fun .. read more
I can relate to this a bit, in the sense that I don't know where I'm going. I don't know how to move forward right now. We both have to just keep looking I guess, we'll figure it out when the time is right.

I like that this is raw, it was just a thought that came to mind and you wrote it and that's what makes it more real and relatable.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you GreenEyedPoet... sometimes this s**t happens and we are just stuck... don't really underst.. read more
GreenEyedPoet

8 Years Ago

Well at least you can get your frustration out with writing, so that's always a good thing.
.. read more
Hey Aaron - I like this - as you say - it's raw, it's real and more than that, it's relatable :)

The other day I heard a quote and it got me thinking - it went something like 'there are only two emotions in this world fear and love' quite often fear clouds our judgement, our decisions, our lives - but why? The other emotion is love - the speaker was saying - just imagine if everything we did was based on love, then fear would have no place, and if every decison is based on love then, well then we are almost home ...

you have given the read some great imagery to play with - I really could see you - a man - outside, beer in hand, exhaling deeply at the self imposed complexities of it all ...

nice work my friend XX

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your awesome review. That quote does make sense to me... I like those thoug.. read more
Nicely done once again Aaron, well written, and descriptive. Good job.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you Ilerah :) I tried to be as descriptive and detailed as to what was flowing through my min.. read more
Ilerah

8 Years Ago

Glad to help out.
I really enjoyed this piece! This could be a hit song. I was actually inventing my own little melody in my head, a grungy one, while I read it. Check out my poem "Rust". Its message is similar.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you Jennifer... I love grunge also... I used to write a lot of songs... I was singing in a loc.. read more
We must.
"but I will get back up and keep chasing that dream because in life we sink or swim and I've already sunk to the bottom... all that's left is to lightly tread back to some familiarity."
I agree. After we reach the bottom. Only way out is up. We hope. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry my friend.
Coyote


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much Coyote for taking the time to read and review... I appreciate it very much :)
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are welcome. Title caught my attention.
Aaron thank you for sharing your thoughts this is such a personal,raw write that takes courage to share so thank you! SO much has changed for you so quickly,,, what you are feeling in this write is normal..sometimes we need theses moments and time to be still for a while so we can take the time to contemplate what will be our next step on this new journey!
Keep that positive attitude my friend :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

sereenaoutloud

8 Years Ago

oh yeh cant beat the pool..entertainment for hours..lol
My son is excited too...half day frid.. read more
AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

haha that's going to be nice... a little time for you :) I got a few years left... my baby is 3 and.. read more
sereenaoutloud

8 Years Ago

awww 3...such a fun age !! I will take loads of photos between the tears lol
its always good to blow off a bit of steam Aaron and in the way you did this it comes out as you striving to find your path ahead, you look for the way to go having suffered life's tribulations, your time is coming, the good stuff has to take its turn, you wrote just free flowing thinking and made it into a work of personal value from which you'll draw an answer soon enough, great work my friend :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you Richard. I know sometimes the reader has got to think man how dark of a place is this guy.. read more
Nice of you to express your felling to us. But as you say, its you that needs to start chasing your deem with full head of steam. I will give you encouragement to do so but its ultimately up to you. Even if you don't capture your dream at least you tried. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much Robert... no reason to simply exist. What makes life fun and challenging is the .. read more
With every breath we take, we MUST fight on.
There will be time for rest later, there will be all the time in the world!
Thank you for sharing your experience and inviting me to read it.
-VM

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you for taking time to read it and leave a review... I really appreciate it Vanesa :)
AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

I'm sad to read you're not posting anymore just admiring...
Vanesa Markovic

8 Years Ago

Be not sad, sir! I'm not posting here as I'm taking a real life shot at agents and the sort, my ment.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2618 Views
86 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 23, 2015
Last Updated on May 24, 2015

Author

AaronFreitas
AaronFreitas

CA



About
I love to write, most my work tends to be on the darker side. I write from my heart and tend not to mess with it too much. I guess sometimes I write and post without focusing on what everyone else w.. more..

Writing
Reality Reality

A Poem by AaronFreitas



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cool Sand Cool Sand

A Poem by MsJewel