29.

29.

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

A restored Luke Penrook awakens

"

29.

 

The sun shining in her eyes made Kyara blink awake and for a long moment she did not remember where she was.    With a start she abruptly realized she was in St. Catherine’s lying in the same bed where Luke should be.   Yet Luke was not there!   Alarmed, she leaped out of bed, confused at what had happened.    Out into the hallway she raced to find a group of sisters at the opposite end of the hall, clustered in a group around the door to Mother Julia’s quarters.

 

She hurried down to see what was going on and found sister Lylia frantically gesturing for her to come quickly.   

“What’s going on?”   She asked the young pregnant nun as soon as she reached them.

“It’s your friend - Luke, wasn’t it?    He’s awake and meeting with Mother Julia right now.”

“Awake?!”

“He was wandering up the hallway wrapped in only a blanket about an hour ago, trying to find out what was going on.    Mother Julia brought him into her quarters and sent some sisters to the nearest farm house for some clothing for him.    After he dressed she went in and has been talking with him ever since.    We can’t hear a damned thing through the door!”

The other sisters glared at Lylia’s use of profanity, but the girl ignored them, “Why don’t you go in, Kyara?”

For a moment she hesitated, feeling a peculiar wave of fear causing her heart to race, but she bravely shook it aside and with a deep breath, pushed past the curious sisters and knocked on the door.

“Mother Julia?   It’s Kyara…”

“Ah, come in dear girl, I was hoping you’d awaken soon!”

With a glance at the nuns, she slipped into Mother Julia’s quarters.

Luke was sitting across from her next to the fire, wearing the earthy colors of a common farmer, but as soon as she saw him she stopped dead in her tracks and stared in wonder.

He smiled gently at her, and though his grin was the same as she remembered, his face had returned to the youthful handsomeness without the bloated puffiness.    His color was healthy and his eyes twinkled as he looked at her.   

Kyara realized suddenly that she was staring like an awe-struck girl and she felt her face blush.    Trying to appear composed and mature, she rushed over to him, but found her heart pounding out of her chest and before she could restrain herself she embraced him tightly to her.

“I never thought I’d see you again!”  She managed to say before bursting into joyful tears.    He hugged her back and she noticed how strong he now seemed.   Even his scent was fresh and intoxicating to her and she breathed it in deeply, not able to let go of him.

He didn’t seem to mind, mildly patting her back as she regained control of her emotions.

Mother Julia sat patiently waiting, relishing in a happy reunion.    Finally Luke sat back down, gently pulling Kyara down to sit on the edge of his lap.    Again she blushed, but she did not protest and Mother Julia did not seem offended.

He summarized what little he knew that had happened to him and Mother Julia explained that it was part of ancient Elven enchantments on the river that fed St. Catherine’s Pool that had preserved and then restored life to him.

“At one time the pool was called by another name, an Elven name that I cannot recall now,” Julia explained, “The power to heal is still there apparently, and praise Yesh for that!”

“I’ve been completely healed of my injuries,”  Luke told Kyara, “Even my…um…mutilation.”

Kyara blushed for a third time, but nodded, “You’ve been given a second chance at life, Luke.”

“For which I am eternally grateful.    But Yara, what in Heaven’s name are you doing down here?   I told you to go north, not south!”

 It was an expected question, but she found herself stammering awkwardly, red-faced as a child caught doing something wrong.

“I…I wasn’t sure…I-I mean…I felt something…I don’t know what it was…but…I just felt that I had to…follow…um…follow the river.”

“But why?”   Luke persisted, staring at her with his piercing blue eyes that now seemed so handsome to her.

“I…I had to…um…I had to follow.”

“Follow the river?”  He verified, sensing that she meant something else.

She just shook her head, averting her gaze, and Mother Julia gave a subtle clearing of her throat to hint for him to change the subject so the green-eyed princess would not be embarrassed further.

Luke sighed in puzzlement but complied, “Well, how long have I been… dead?   Was I actually dead or just in some sort of magic state?”

Mother Julia shook her head, “I certainly don’t know, but what is more important right now is that you are alive and whole and reunited with Princess Kyara.”

Luke nodded in agreement.

“So, what are your plans now?”   The elderly nun asked the two sitting before her.    Neither one answered at first and glanced at each other, then Luke turned to the Mother Superior and gestured at Kyara, “She’s the boss.”

“How rare to see a man acknowledging that!”  Mother Julia exclaimed, and then turning to Kyara repeated her last question.

Kyara was hesitant and kept glancing back at Luke as if seeking his permission, though he was waiting for her words as well.

“Um…we were going to try to locate any elven survivors in the great forest and if there were enough of them, form a force to resist Reddric’s forces.”

Mother Julia leaned back in her chair and considered this for a moment, “I can give you some helpful information, Princess, as I have several sets of ‘eyes’ all around the High King’s territory.    Yesterday he sent word to the commander of his forces encamped outside of the great forest to withdraw at once and proceed eastward to Baylcothrom’s borders to join up with the other two armies waiting there.”

“Waiting for what though?”   Kyara asked.

“Two things, my spies informed me.    First, there are rumors that a large force of highland tribesmen is marching south into Baylcothrom, apparently to occupy it.   This could only be crazy campfire tales that sometimes achieve a life of their own, for I would think it would be crazy to invade in the autumn.   So don’t take too much stock in this rumor.”  

“The second is to guarantee the security of your sister, Avalynn, who Reddric named as Grand Duchess of the newly established Grand Duchy of Baylcothrom.    She is said to be travelling back to tour it and establish her rule as duchess as powerfully as she can.   Of course she is just a puppet of Reddric.    Archbishop Hobst and the newly discovered b*****d son of Reddric are accompanying her.”

“Yesh have mercy!”  Kyara exclaimed at the news, “That sounds like something Ava would achieve!   But who is this ‘b*****d son’ that you mentioned?”

Mother Julia took a deep breath as if somewhat reluctant to reveal the information, but after a moment’s pause she pressed forward, “It is my grandson, Denrich, the half-elven sheriff of St. Wemricshire.”

“Denrich?!”  Both Kyara and Luke exclaimed together.

“You know him?”

Luke deferred to Kyara, who spoke at once, “Yes, I know him slightly.    My father first met him regarding some farmers from St. Wemricshire who slipped over the border and stole some cattle in Baylcothrom.   He was very kind and wise for a half-elf as young as he is and cooperated fully with my father.    They met several times about this incident and parted on very good terms.   I felt that he was a very good man.    But now you say that he is Reddric’s son?!  Forgive me, Reverend Mother, for I know the High King is your son, but Denrich certainly doesn’t seem anything like his father!”

“He did not know that he was Reddric’s son until recently, Princess,”   She explained to them what had transpired at the royal court days before.

“Would Denrich be sympathetic to our cause?”  Kyara asked Mother Julia.

“I know he thinks Reddric is being very unfair to the elven people, so I would think he’d be sympathetic, Princess,” the Reverend Mother speculated.

“But now that he’s Reddric’s son, perhaps he won’t be as sympathetic, especially if he stays at the royal court for long,” Luke interjected.

“I don’t think so,” Mother Julia replied, “He is not fond of Reddric and while I don’t know if he’s willing to rebel against him, he wants nothing more than to go back to his life as a sheriff.”

“Well, that still doesn’t help me decide what to do.    If Ava is claiming my father’s kingdom as her duchy, then not only will I be fighting against the High King but now I’d be fighting against my own sister as she now will be his vassal.”

“That is a concern, Princess, but Reddric had no right to seize Baylcothrom.    I’m not sure that you could muster up enough troops to defeat all the men he’d send north to enforce his control of it, but neither do I think that you should give up fighting for your case.  But it would be risky to go back now with armies marshalling and marching all about.”

Kyara’s shoulders slumped, “I really don’t know what I can do but what I originally planned - try to find the remnants and at least die trying one last time.”

Mother Julia frowned slightly at the thought of the lovely young princess dying in a doomed cause, but what hope could she give?

“Well, with Reddric’s men pulled east to the border of Baylcothrom, you should have an easier time reaching the great forest.”

Kyara turned to look at Luke, “What do you think?   Am I doing the right thing?”

“Yes,” He surprised her with his answer, for now he seemed more confident and daring than he had before, “Let’s go there and at least see if we can bring some of our countrymen out of there.”

“But you still think it is a lost cause?”   Kyara asked to clarify his stance.

“Oh, absolutely!   We’ll be greatly outnumbered once Reddric gets stirred up and sends the bulk of his army against us, but I don’t see either one of us simply submitting to him.    Who knows?   Perhaps an army of Highlanders might mix up the odds, though I’m certain Reddric would resist all forces sent against him.  He won’t stop until everyone opposing him is dead by whatever means.   I’ve seen the level of his cruelty.   Forgive me for saying this, Mother Superior, but your son is a very evil man.”

Mother Julia nodded gravely, some hurt evident, but also complete agreement.   She had seen his cruelty first hand as well.

“You both are welcome to stay here for a while, though we’ll have to move Luke, soon, or I’ll have numerous sisters revoking their vows to follow you.”

Luke smiled, “I’m certain their devotion to God and their vows are secure, Mother Superior, but I don’t plan to stay here long.”

Kyara turned and looked at him again, “Oh?  So what do you plan to do then?”

“Follow my princess on her impossible mission, and try to keep her from dying for it.”

Their eyes met and Kyara felt herself foolishly blushing and looking away like a timid girl, but she was thrilled at his words.

“Thank you, Luke, for your loyalty.    I was lost and terrified when I saw you fall to your death.   Now I have my courage back.”

“I am glad for that.   So when do we leave, Princess?”

“Tomorrow morning, if you are fit enough, but we’ll have to find you a horse, not to mention some replacement equipment.”

“We have some fine horses in our stable, though they aren’t warhorses, of course, but you are welcome to select one.”

“Thank you, Mother Superior; I will pay you for it,”   Luke replied with a vow.

“Consider it a gift, which I will give to you, Sir Knight, if you promise me that you will stay at the Princesses side no matter what.”

Luke smiled broadly, “Absolutely, Reverend Mother, I swear that by all I hold sacred.”

Mother Julia was pleased with his answer, “Very good then; let’s go find you a steed then.”

The three arose and hurried off to the convent’s stable, leaving a crowd of curious sisters to disperse and resume their daily duties.

 

 



© 2018 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on July 29, 2018
Last Updated on July 29, 2018
Tags: Albyia, Synomenia, fantasy, elf, magic


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis