37.

37.

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

A scheme by Bishop Jules is revealed.

"

37.

 

Early the next morning, Abbot Matthes met with Chief Somled in a private room in The Hungry Fox.     It was a brief meeting and Denrich was present.     Immediately following the meeting, Abbot Matthes and his companions rode off to Abbosett to make preparations to accommodate Somled’s large party before it arrived late that evening.

“Well?”  Xael asked as soon as they all were underway.

“It went extremely well,” He replied as he rode next to her, glancing ahead at the back of the Highland Chief as he spoke to several of his sub-chiefs, “It was just a quick chat, but Brother Matthes expressed the monastery’s complete willingness to cooperate with the Highlanders and elves, as long as Somled promised that the people of the Duchy would not be harmed or their possessions forcefully taken from them.    This Somled quickly swore and they agreed to meet tomorrow afternoon in a conference with the brothers of St. Wemric’s to work out the details.”

Xael smiled, “I’m thrilled to hear that.    I was eager to hear about your meeting with Abbot Matthes last night, but exhaustion overcame my curiosity.    You should have awakened me when you arrived.”

“You were sleeping peacefully and I thought that it might be better to let you sleep rather then risk another amorous encounter.”

“Coward,” She teased, but her eyes twinkled with good humor.

 

***

 

They rode for the rest of the day, across the gentle rolling farmland of the duchy.   Frequently farmers and villagers came to the side of the road to greet them and speak to ‘the Sheriff’ as they rode by.   Denrich happily spoke to all of them and probably answered a thousand meek questions about Xael.    Several asked if she was his lady and when he hesitated the first time it was asked, Xael turned and answered for him, “Yes.”

After that he gave the same answer, finding a thrill rush over him as the reality of what he was saying dawned on him.

 

***

 

Just before sunset they arrived at Abbosett.    Denrich had never been so glad to see the grey stone of St. Wemric’s monastery.   It overlooked the village of Abbosett and the whole town came out to watch their arrival.

Brother Matthes and all the monks respectfully stood behind the abbot.  They all were very curious about the Highlanders and elves, but equally as curious to see their former Sheriff with a lovely woman.

 

“St. Wemric’s Monastery welcomes all of you,”   The Abbot addressed them as they dismounted.    Somled was introduced to the brothers and he surprised them with his reverence and respectfulness as he greeted them.

“I had scheduled a conference for us to discuss matters tomorrow morning, as I know you are all exhausted after a full day of travelling.    But some news has greatly alarmed me, so I would ask you to accompany me to the assembly room so I can share this news.

Xael touched Denrich’s arm questioningly, but he shrugged and shook his head.

 

A quarter of an hour later all of the travelers were seated on the simple stone benches that the brothers sat upon while worshiping Yesh.     Only a handful of the monks remained, which Denrich knew were Brother Matthes’ council that assembled when decisions important to the monastery were needed.

Waiting for them were some familiar faces; Sir Luke Penrook sat next to the gorgeous redheaded sister of Princess Avalynn.   She had cut her lovely hair short as a man’s and wore militia armor, yet still was a match for Xael in beauty.   With them were some Highlanders and several elves.    He vaguely recognized one older man as Shayne, an important official in the former elven kingdom.

They nodded at him as they entered and several of them stared in surprise at Xael for an instant, for at first glance they thought that she was Avalynn.

Princess Kyara rose and hurried over to him as the others were finding seats.

“Sherriff Denrich, it is good to see you again, but I was wondering if you had any news about my sister, since she left in your company.”

Xael cleared her throat, “Your Majesty, I think I can provide you with some information.”

Briefly she told her about what had transpired on the arcane train.    Xael’s face betrayed her apprehension of Kyara’s reaction to the treatment of her sister.

But when she heard how Avalynn had been sent to St. Catherine’s, she actually laughed and patted Xael on the shoulder.

“Oh, that is perfect for her!”  She said, “It will do her good, and will keep her out of trouble.”

“I’m relieved that you aren’t upset at me over her treatment.”

“Not at all, Lady Xael!   You probably saved her life and though my sister and I were often at odds with each other, I am very relieved that she is safe.”

That was all the time they had to speak, for Brother Matthes rapped on a pulpit at the front of the room and called the meeting to order.

“Again I apologize for the abruptness of this meeting, but when Princess Kyara arrived earlier today with some news, I felt we should move the meeting up.    Princess, I’ll turn it over to you to explain.”

 

 

Kyara stood up and immediately shared the tale of Somled’s guards intercepting a royal courier.    When she shared the information of Reddric’s assassination she hesitated a moment, to give Denrich time.

All eyes were on him, but his only response was a grim frown and a sad shake of his head, “I don’t feel any deep emotion for him, but it is tragic that he could not change his ways.”

Kyara nodded, not needing to comment on Denrich’s words as she told them of Bishop Jules’ rise as a regent for his newborn nephew.

“The royal courier, Martin Baellu, apparently did not know what the sealed message to Abbot Matthes contained, but I went ahead and opened it.    With Brother Matthes’ permission, I would like to read what it contained.”

Kyara took up the parchment, cleared her throat and read the message:

To Brother Matthes, Abbot of St. Wemric’s monastery-"

Greetings, brother in Yesh, I write this to you to share with you some terrible news and to ask for your assistance.   

No doubt you have heard of the tragic assassination of my dear uncle, Archbishop Hobst.    It is known that the assassins were working for the king’s b*****d son, Denrich, formally the Sheriff of your duchy.    He has joined forces with the barbarian Highlanders and a remnant of elves and their scheme was to kill my uncle and make the assassination seem to be an attempt on Denrich’s life and that of former princess Avalynn, who is his fellow conspirator and lover.   

Denrich pretended to be abducted by the Highlanders and they are currently hoping to gain control of the northern parts of the High King’s kingdom before winter sets in.   Part of that plan is to persuade you, dear Abbot, of the validity of Denrich’s claim for the throne.

He hopes to gain allies and then march upon Caelyin and take the throne for himself.

I am deeply saddened to report that the very morning of the day that I write this, His Royal Majesty, King Reddric VII was assassinated while visiting with Lady Taye in her private chambers.   

Thankfully, my dear sister, Queen Jaelabeth was preserved by Yesh from death or harm, though the ordeal of losing her beloved Uncle and now her husband, sent her into labor.

She has delivered a healthy son, who is now King Reddric VIII.    The council of Barons in their great wisdom has named me as His Majesty’s Regent until he reaches maturity.

Denrich and the Highland tribes rebellion, with the assistance of the surviving elven factions, pose a serious threat to the security and peace of this kingdom.    I know that quite soon they will contact you and either by force or bribe, try to enlist your aid in their cause.

As regent and as your spiritual father, I would require of you to resist them.    I know that the brothers are not soldiers and you have my permission to lie and pledge your loyalty to their cause in order to save your order and your lives.    I have received a vision from God that I shall soon be named by the Council of Archbishops to fill the vacancy of my Uncle.

Therefore I charge you to do your best to resist them or lie to them so that your order is preserved and your life sustained.   I look forward to seeing you at the ecclesiastical convention.   

I also ask a favor of you.   If you can safely arrange it, it would be a great gift to me to have the severed head of the b*****d Denrich brought to me on the day I assume the role of Archbishop.    I assure you that you will have a dispensation of grace for his murder as it will be serving God and avenging Archbishop Hobst and King Reddric.  

Any means is allowed - poison, assassins or ambush, it matters not to me.    I hope to see his head brought to me on a platter.   Remember that your sister, her husband and their children and grandchildren reside in peace in Caelyin and have served the Archbishops for years.     They have always enjoyed prosperity and protection from harm.     It would be yet another senseless tragedy if they were harmed or killed due to a weakening of my authority (for certainly Denrich, the elves and the Highlanders pose a threat to everyone’s safety and no doubt they would delight in killing anyone who serves the church and Archbishop).    So for the sake of your sister and her family, I’d encourage you to act against Denrich, stay faithful to me and support my ascension as Archbishop.

I will reward those loyal to me and bitterly scorn those who dare oppose me.   I am confident of your loyalty and obedience.

 

Bishop Jules

 

There was reflective silence as Kyara finished reading the letter, though everyone looked at each other, all of them shocked and sickened at the content of the bishop’s letter.

Brother Matthes, who looked pale and grim (though he had read the message before the meeting) stood up again and cleared his throat.

“Brothers and friends, you can clearly see that Bishop Jules is determined to have complete control over this island.    If he is ordained as Archbishop, he will be the temporal and spiritual leader of all of Albyia.”

“Clearly he is as ruthless as Hobst or Reddric,” Denrich said, “Brother Matthes, I fear for your sister and her family.”

“As do I, Denrich, but Jules’ not to subtle bullying and threats will not deter me from doing what is right.”

“Yes, but your sister!”

“She and her entire family know the Lord Yesh in their hearts and would insist that I stand up for what I know to be right.”

Suddenly, from the rear of the room, one of the Highlanders raised his hand and respectfully spoke Matthes’ name.

“Excuse me, Brother Matthes, but may I speak?”

“Certainly, my son; who are you?”

The man came forward, followed by a middle aged woman who seemed rather uneasy.   Both bowed to the monk, Somled and Denrich.

“Brother, I am Tov Mallos, a scout for Chief Somled.    I was tasked with surveying the lands that our forces have gained control of, to gauge the reactions of the people and to reassure them of our intentions.    While I was travelling through northern Midwichshire a few days ago, I was speaking to a group of people in a small village and afterwards, this lady took me aside and told me something that I felt of vital importance to bring to the attention of my chief.     This is Layne Crofft from Dorgintun.   Go ahead and tell them everything you told me, Layne.”

He beckoned to the woman who nodded and with trembling hands and yet a strong, calm voice, addressed the assembly.

“I apologize for intruding upon your meeting, but I have information that I am very scared to share, but I feel that I must.”

“Go on,” Brother Matthes gently prodded.

“My mother was a sorceress - I know that might seem evil to godly men such as you, but at one time it was a respectful occupation… until the Archbishops labeled them all as witches.”

“We are not here to judge you or your mother,”   Brother Matthes reassured, “Don’t be afraid, just tell us what you know.”

“Before King Reddric VII seized the throne, his mother, Queen Julia, secretly contracted my mother to construct five crystal balls and then enchant them for scrying.   She did not tell my mother what her reason for desiring these scrying balls and my mother knew it was not her place to ask.”

“So what happened?”   Denrich asked, curious over how this tale would have relevance.

“We sent off the first three to the Queen.    My mother was teaching me her craft and I actually enchanted the last two crystal balls - I’m not a witch, by the way!”

“We’re not accusing you of being one.”   The Abbot assured her.

“I was just learning how to craft magical scrying balls and these last two were my first enchantments by myself, so before sending them off to Her Majesty, my mother wanted to make sure they worked perfectly.”

“Did they?”   Xael asked.

“They were done properly, but before we could ship these last two off to Queen Julia, King Reddric took control of the throne and killed his brother.    Queen Julia went to St. Catherine’s and we were too scared to do anything but keep the crystal balls.    Archbishop Hobst began persecuting sorceresses and we were terrified of being executed or imprisoned on charges of witchcraft.”

“So how is this important information for us?”   Chief Somled asked.

“Well, about a year ago, while my mother was dying of old age and I was caring for her, we were suddenly visited by Bishop Jules with a delegation of soldiers.    He said that he had been examining old notes and records of Queen Julia and he had found that we had been contracted to craft five crystal balls, but had only delivered three.   He knew where those three were, but he demanded that we hand over to him the other two.”

“What did he do to you?”  Kyara asked.

“Well, that was what was odd - he wasn’t angry about it really, and when we willingly gave them to him, he was actually quite pleasant and had me show him how to use them.    He promised us that we would not get into trouble for making them, but to not make any more, and then he left, after first taking great care to wrap the crystal balls up in several layers of cloth.    I didn’t think too much about it then, as I was just very relieved not to be in trouble, and I was too focused on my dying mother.   However, after she died, I began to think about his visit and I realized that he didn’t seem like someone trying to rid the island of all forms of ‘witchcraft’ but seemed extremely interested in the crystal balls.”

“That doesn’t surprise me,” Denrich commented.

“I was curious, and I confess that I did something I shouldn’t have done.   Any wizard or sorceress who makes a scrying device, can access that device with a magic word.     Most who sell them to someone else don’t tell them about this, because that would mean that the new owner could be spied upon by the creator of the scrying devices.   If they do it carefully, they see and hear what is being said, without the owner knowing they are spying on them.   I knew how to do this, too.”

“So you activated them to see who was using them?”   Brother Matthes asked.

“I know it was wrong, but my curiosity was too much for me, so yes, I did that.    I had my mother’s own crystal ball, and I put it in a dark room and stood a few feet from the crystal so my image would not be transmitted and covered my head with a hood just in case, then I spoke the activation words for one of the balls.”

“Who did you see?”   Denrich asked, suspecting he knew of the answer.

“It was the Queen!    Queen Jaelabeth.    I saw her sitting in the dark using the crystal ball and what surprised me was I could hear who she was talking to.”

“Why is that a surprise?”  Somled wondered.

“Well, sir, usually you can only hear and see the person who you are contacting in a one on one way.    So I thought I’d only see one person and hear only one side of the conversation.   But she was talking to someone using the other crystal ball that I had constructed and I had used the same activation word on both of them, so I was able to hear both sides of the conversation, though I could only see one of them.”

“It was Bishop Jules on the other side?”   Abbot Matthes asked.

“Yes sir, and apparently they had just contacted each other when I began spying on them.    They were so focused on their conversation that neither one noticed anything.   I guess maybe my precautions were done well enough to keep them from noticing.     But what I heard horrified me and sickened me as well.     I swear by all that is holy that I am not making up what I will tell you!    It will surprise you, but I swear it is exactly what I heard.”

“Go on and tell us; we may not be nearly as surprised as you think,” Kyara prompted.

Layne sighed nervously, swallowed once and with a deep breath, resumed, “Queen Jaelabeth…s-she’s…she’s n-not…she’s not been faithful to the king!    But the worst part is who she is sleeping with!”

“We know already,” Denrich told her to ease the lady’s frayed nerves, “She had a relationship with Archbishop Hobst who was not actually her uncle but, unbelievably, was her own father.”

Layne nodded, deep relief crossing her face, “I was horrified upon learning that, my Lord!   But there is more than that!    She is also involved with Bishop Jules!   I learned that they are only half siblings - Hobst was not Jules’ father.    The whole family is sick!   She was sleeping with Jules too, though not as much as with Archbishop Hobst.   You probably know that her baby was not the King’s?”

“Yes, we know it was Hobst’s,”   Xael said with a disgusted look.

“No, my lady!    You see, Hobst gave her a sort of poison that she had been giving to the High King that would make him sterile.    It had no other effects and he would not realize this.    That way she could conceive Hobst’s child.   But the Queen told Jules about this and they began giving Hobst this same poison, before the Queen was impregnated.    She carried not the king’s baby or even Hobst’s son but her half-brother’s child!   The newborn prince is Bishop Jules’ child.”

For a few moments there were exclamations of disgust and surprise until Xael spoke up.

“But I secretly heard Hobst tell the Queen that he had a handful of serving girls that he had impregnated as back-ups in case she gave birth to a daughter.    He’d substitute one of these girl’s male babies as the Queen’s child and they’d kill the baby girl.    If she was giving him this poison, then he wouldn’t have been able to father these serving girls’ children.”

Layne nodded, “Jules and the Queen spoke about that too - they would contact each other every night at 1 AM and speak for about an hour while he was not at the royal court.    I listened in to their conversations for several weeks, my Lady, which is how I learned all about this.     The poison that they gave King Reddric and Archbishop Hobst was only given to them until she conceived by Jules.    Then they stopped it and the Queen waited two weeks before  announcing to either of them that she was pregnant.    She was further along in her pregnancy than either one of them knew.”

“And the poison would quickly wear off?”   Denrich asked.

“From what I overheard, it would only take a few days and Jules told her that as the drug wore off it would have a temporary effect of making Reddric and Hobst more virile for a few days as the body regulated itself.”

“That would explain how Hobst impregnated those serving girls so easily.   It was the effect of the drug, giving him a boost,”   Xael theorized, “Tell me, Layne, did you learn why they were double-crossing Hobst?   I thought he favored both of them.”

“Oh, he did, I guess, but Jules wanted power and riches as much as Hobst did.    Jaelabeth had no qualms about whom she had to sleep with to stay in power and from vague things they said during their conversations, apparently incest and murder was not uncommon in their family.    They came up with a new, slow-acting poison that they were giving the King and Hobst.    It would take months, but both would develop heart problems that would eventually kill them.    Apparently it was working on the King, though they could not give him full doses due to his royal taste-testers sampling the food and occasionally using magic to detect poison.”

“What about Hobst?”   Luke asked.

“They were puzzled about him, sir.    They’d been poisoning him for three months yet he wasn’t sickening.   Just before Sheriff Denrich came to the royal court, the Queen learned that Hobst had a magic amulet that protected him from all types of poison that he’d bought after Jaelabeth announced that she was pregnant.”

“He was probably afraid that she’d do him in now since she had conceived a child by him,”  Denrich suggested.

“I’d agree, my Lord.    They weren’t too worried about it though and they kept up appearances around him and the King.    They would only see each other a few times a month when Jules would visit the royal court, but they were constantly scheming.    When you, Sheriff Denrich, were revealed as the King’s son, this greatly alarmed them and they changed their plans.   Archbishop Hobst had schemed to make it look like Princess Avalynn tried to rebel against the King and kill you, Sheriff, as soon as you got off the train.    His plan was to have some of the soldiers in the north then kill her for killing the King’s son.”

Denrich grunted, “That is why he set up Avalynn to kill me.  He told her to wait until we reached Eastwatch, but she was too nervous and wanted to get it over with, so she convinced him to let her do it on the train.”

“Jaelabeth was informed of all of Hobst’s plans by the Archbishop himself and she then told Jules.     Jules wanted his uncle dead before the royal baby was born, so he used the crystal ball to contact some assassins to board the train at a stop and kill Hobst as well as you and Princess Avalynn,”   Layne suddenly blinked in surprise and glanced over at Xael in alarm, assuming that she was the same woman who had plotted to murder Denrich.

“I’m not Avalynn, Layne,”  Xael replied with a gentle smile, “It’s a complicated story, but suffice to say that Avalynn has been neutralized and is in a secure and safe place.   My name is Xael.   Please continue with your information.”

The lady nodded and resumed, “The assassins were to board the train and kill all three and Jules decided that he’d blame their deaths on the raids by the Highlanders.”

“Well, I guess we helped him by derailing the train later on,”  Chief Somled said, “Jules was probably pleased by that; he’d simply change the story.   Since he knew Denrich and ‘Avalynn’ survived the attack; he’d just announce that they were behind the attacks to kill Hobst and were now in league with the ‘barbarians’.”

“It works well for him,” Denrich added, “He has several options dependent on what we do, but he has his butt covered.    Layne, is there anything else that you learned?”

“He told Jaelabeth that he wanted the title of Archbishop and that after he is named that, he will be the absolute ruler of the island.”

“That’s true,”  Kyara said, “He’ll be the spiritual head as Archbishop and as regent to his son --- who everyone will think is his nephew -he will be High King in all but title.”

“Layne, when did you last spy on him?”   Denrich asked.

“A couple of days ago; the same day that I contacted Master Tov and asked to see you.    The very last thing I heard was that Bishop Jules wanted Denrich killed one way or another before the council of Archbishops meets.”

“Well, we know the rest,” Somled said, “Thank you, Layne, for your help.   We will keep you safe until all of this is resolved.”

“So what do we do?”   Kyara asked after Layne was escorted from their meeting, “It looks like Jules and the Queen have us boxed in.”

“Well, Jules will have everyone believing him following the council meeting,”  Brother Matthes announced, “The Archbishops will confirm him and will probably follow his suggestions.   He’ll condemn the Highland clans and elves for causing the unrest and blame them for murdering Reddric, Hobst and God knows who else.     If I don’t submit to him, he’ll condemn not only me but probably the monastery as well and then have it closed up.   No doubt the land will be given to those loyal to him or he’ll seize it for himself.”

“If only there was some way to prove to the council of Archbishops what Jules has done.”   Brother Matthes said.

“It would just be hearsay and who would believe any of us over Jules and the Queen?”   Kyara responded.

For a few moments everyone just sat there quietly, lost over what to do.    Suddenly Denrich snapped his fingers as if recalling something and turned to say, “I think I have an idea.    It will involve a bit of planning, but there just might be a way - a slim way- to topple Jules.”

“How?”   Several asked at the same time.

“Gather around and I’ll tell you of this crazy scheme that just came to me.”

They all drew in closer to the Half-Elf as he began to outline his idea.

 



© 2018 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Added on August 6, 2018
Last Updated on August 6, 2018
Tags: Albyia, Synomenia, fantasy, elf, magic


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis