a gift

a gift

A Chapter by marna

chapter 1

The young girl sat gazing into her mirror, brushing her hair, "your hair is so beautiful, Caly” a voice beside her said "it matches your eyes, both a dark shade of brown". The young girl, Caly, turned. The person talking was a girl no older than twenty. Caly smiled “thanks Talia I loved your color hair-" she stopped. Talia looked at Caly "What do you mean, loved, I am here in front of you, aren’t I? Just because I’m a ghost doesn’t mean I don’t have feelings" Caly looked down "Sorry, you know what I mean" Caly looked at Talia remembering that Talia had died. Talia straitened and walked over to the bed that was behind Caly. Caly smiled again, she got up to go to the bed. The bed was a queen size. There was a knock at the door "Caly, may I enter” the voice came from a young boy. The two girls were startled. Caly got up and went to the door, Talia stood up not knowing she made an imprint on the bed where she had sat. Caly opened the door "yes, but why have you come to my room so early." He stood in the door way, holding something behind his back. "What are you holding, Carder?" Carders face turned red. It was a tiny wooden box made of wood. She took it when he held it out to her. Caly opened the box, inside was a large black diamond, no bigger than her nail, with a silver chain that was very beautiful in the morning sun. Talia, who had walked over to see what was going on, gasped at the sight of the jewelry. 
Caly all most dropped the box at the sight of it, see stared at it. Carder, even redder than a moment ago, grabbed the necklace and put it around Caly's neck. Caly put the little box down beside her. "This is gorgeous" she said almost unable to talk. "See, now I wish I had a brother like that.” Talia said over her shoulder. Caly wrapped her arms around Carder who did the same, his red face even more red. Caly looked at her brother "how did you even pay for this" she knew the price because it was the same necklace she begged her father to get three day ago, fourteen gold coins. He looked up " I all ready had eleven gold coins. I asked father for the rest.” he told her. She put a hand on the diamond "why did you give me this gift now?” Carder looked confused. He smiled. "I couldn’t wait for your birth day to come" he told her. Talia leaned again "What he could not wait two more days?" Caly had to laugh a little, not knowing whether she did so because of Talia’s logic or how her brother had turned so red. Carders smile dropped "you don’t like it?" he asked her. She stopped and looked at Carder; she smiled and kissed his for head. "I love this gift, I only laughed because of your red face.” she poked his nose "I love it, thank you so much." He smiled again, and ran down the hall away from her room. She closed the door, her hand on the necklace. "I envy you people can see you, feel you, talk to you, it’s not fair." Talia yelled. Though no one but Caly could hear the girl yell. 
"Oh, be quiet Talia you are lucky no one can hear you." Talia just barley grabbed a coal from the fire place and through it at the window, it shattered. "Surely some one heard that. Does that not mean I am alive not with a body but soul? That no one can even see or hear." the last sentence she yelled. She fell to her knees. Caly walked over to her, she was bending down... A guard ran through her door. She spun around to see not one but three guards had entered her room. 
Talia reached under the bed and grabbed a rock. "Princes are you ok, your window shattered." one of the guards said. Talia told Caly "there’s a rock beside your bed, use it as an excuse." Without a word to the guards, she turned and saw the rock. She bent down and grabbed it. Getting up and looking at the guards with the blankest look on her face. "This is what came through my window” 
I guess, she thought. The lead guard came forward and look at it. "So you are ok then?"She swallowed hard "yes, Jack, I am fine. Thank you." Talia now stood near the other guards. The guard, Jack, whispered "may I see you later, please" 
Caly in reply nodded and agreed to meet him later. "Its barley noticeable, but you are so blushing." Talia teased her. After the guards left she looked at Talia, who smiled in return. "If you were not dead now, I would surely kill you" Talia just laughed. Caly got dressed and went to breakfast. Her hair in a bun, so the necklace around her neck would show better.

While walking down the hallway one of the servants was carrying dirty dishes when she lost her footing. The dishes started to fall, without thinking Caly grabbed one side of the platter where the dishes started to fall. One dropped and hit the floor. The servant girl gasped, and put down the tray. "I am terribly sorry. I should have been watching m..." The servant was cut off by what she saw down the hall. A very tall man, dressed in expensive clothes. He saw the whole thing and looked mad. Confused, Caly looked up and saw this man. The serving girl bent down "I am sorry, please, spare me" he just stared. Caly stood up "father, you scare too many people. Be kind for once" Caly’s father slowly walked toward them. The serving girl started to shake. The man stood right in front of Caly. He grabbed her wrist, unknowing Caly had been cut. Caly gasp, and saw the deep cut on her arm. She then felt the pain from the cut. "Father, I am fine, it is only a little scratch" He wasn’t listening his attention was on the serving girl. "What have you to say to this" he glared at her. The maid sunk closer to the floor. "Stand, now" he told her. The maid slowly got up. Caly’s father raised his hand to slap the maid. Right before she got slapped Caly stepped in, her father hither. Caly just stood there looking at her father. "She does not deserve this. Let her do her job" the maid stood behind Caly. Her fathers face changed from mad to a sympathetic look. “Go get your cut cleaned" She still stood there "you will not hurt this girl, right?" her father now surprised nodded and left. The maid had already grabbed the platter and the broken dish. “Thank you Princess." she said with a faint blush. Caly smiled “just be more careful, ok?" The maid nodded and left Caly. She walked to the nurses room and knocked on the door "hello, is any one here" a nurse suddenly appeared and gasped at the sight of the cut. "What has happened to you princess?" Caly came up with a lie "I cut my self on my window after a rock flew in it" yes that will work, she told her self.

After getting her cut attended she went to the dining hall were her family was all ready to eat. Caly walked past her father without even a glimpse at him she walked over to sit with her mother. Her mother saw the red mark on Caly’s face and gasped. Caly sat down. "Who did this to you?" her mother whispered. Caly didn’t answer just looked at her father. "Your father did this, why?" Caly looked at her mother. With a smile she said "I will tell you later, ok?" Caly’s mom nodded and did not say another word. Caly notice her brother, still red, did not look at her. Caly just smiled.

After eating Caly and her mother went to Caly's room. Caly locked her door. Her mother sat on the bed, Talia was sleeping in a corner. "Why did your father hit you?" Caly sat on a chair. “He did not intend to hit me. It was for a serving girl who almost drop some dishes, I helped her. He was going to hit her for the accident but I stopped him and he hit me." her mother just shook her head, with a smile. "That is fine, just be more careful, ok?" Caly nodded in answer.



© 2010 marna


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
Added on August 2, 2010
Last Updated on August 11, 2010


Author

marna
marna

Surrey, Canada



About
ummm...im me i guess idk =3 more..

Writing
diary diary

A Story by marna


me or you me or you

A Poem by marna


the new life the new life

A Book by marna