[Chapter Two]

[Chapter Two]

A Chapter by Emunah June.

"Hey, where did you go?"

"Right here! C'mon hurry!"

 

The two friends hastily made their way down the docks that afternoon, smiling as wide as a pair of three year olds. Holding hands, the two made their way to the center of the festivities.

 

Edward always loved the sight of the Waterwheel Carnvial. It was an annual event that had the whole town in an uproar when it came. It was a near-completely free happening, which was why nearly everybody came to it. Booths upon booths of games lined the boating docks, and rides that spanned from here to the center of town. The smells of delicious carnival foods was strong enough to the point of where just one whiff could make you almost taste it. It was a favourite of the teens, as they went to it every year. Koda loved it especially, and it made Edward happy seeing her come alive.

 

Koda stopped, standing still and taking a moment to absorb her surroundings. She gripped Edward's hand tight.

 

"Whats up?" he asked, squeezing back.

She smiled and turned her head towards him.

"The smells...there's a new food this year, isn't there?"

 

Edward looked around, but with the countless snack stands, it was hard to tell. He shrugged. "I dunno, why? What makes you say that?"

 

She sighed. "Don't you smell that? That strong caramel smell? I've never smelled that before. It's rich and...." she brought a hand up to her mouth and wiped her bottom lip free from drool. "...enticing. Oh, Edward, we have to get whatever it is before we leave!" she said, grabbing onto his arm and smiling from ear to ear. He smiled, then sniffed the air. "Ahh see, now that you mention it I DO smell it. Yeah, we'll get it. I brought fifty to split between the two of us, so as long as it's under twenty-five, it's yours."

 

She smiled. "Thanks, Ed!"

"No problem." He pat her head, and she let go of his arm. "Now, lets go play some games and ride some rides!"

 

Taking her hand again, he was able to slip through the crowds as if they were oiled down. They managed to get to the first game booth (which happened to be Edward's favourite). Koda stopped moving once he got there.

 

"What's up?" he asked.

"Where are we?"

"The Balloon Buster booth."

"Oh! I like this one!"

 

The man at the booth was too busy dealing with a five year old to notice them, so Edward took this time to pull a few bills out of his pocket. "I'm paying for this one, so you're paying for the next one. Sound fair?"

 

"Yeah! Sounds fair!"

 

Gripping the bills, Edward paid the man for a handful of darts. He turned around. "Cup your hand," he said, and she did. He gave her about half his pile. "You're gonna go after me, okay?" he said as she examined the darts in her hand, trying to figure out which end was the sharp one. She gave him a half-hearted nod.

 

Edward stood and focused his gaze on a bright blue balloon clipped to the board. 

 

If I can get that one...!!

 

He aimed carefully, drowning out the noise of the people and game alarms around him. He blurred out the rest of the world, and kept his hand steady. He looked directly upward, and took a hungry glance at a stuffed rabbit hanging from the booth rafters.

 

If I pop at least three of those blue balloons, I can get that rabbit for Koda. She loves those sorts of things.

 

He aimed steady.

 

"Ed, have you gone yet?" Koda asked, but he didn't answer. Instead, he closed one eye and, with a quick flick of the wrist, shot the dart straight forward.

 

Pop!

 

A smaller, not-so-big red balloon burst>

 

Gah! Almost!

 

The man behind the booth raised two fingers, meaning that the balloon was worth two points.

 

Okay, I'll get one this time.

 

He did the same thing, and this time he nailed the balloon straight in the center.

 

"Go Edward!" Koda cheered from behind.

 

Soon he was out of darts, and he managed enough points to get a smaller version of the rabbit he had his eyes on earlier. "Here," he said, placing it in Koda's hand. She ran her fingers over it.

 

"Soft...small...." she gasped with delight. "Is it a Beanie Baby?"

Edward laughed. "You could say that."

 

"Is that not what it is?"

"Well, I can't tell really. But it's cute."

 

Koda felt the rabbit ears and grinned. "Oooohhh, a bunny!" she said, hugging it close to her chest. "Thanks Ed! Now let me get something for you!" she said, handing him the rabbit back and taking hold of her darts.

 

Edward stood behind her and looped his arms under hers so he could help her take aim. He couldn't help but notice her skin was pillow-soft as he gripped her wrist and helped her throw.

 

Pop! Pop! Pop! Pop! Pop!

 

Koda hit a balloon every time she tossed, which confused Edward since he was technically the one throwing. Together they racked up enough points for a stuffed tiger, which Koda demanded Edward take. He tried to decline, but her bright smile was too much, and he accepted out of fear of letting her down.

 

The man behind the booth laughed. "I must say," he said, leaning towards them, "you two are the cutest couple I've seen this whole weekend."

 

Edward blushed furiously, but Koda had not heard because she was listening in to the sounds of nearby games.

 

"Oh no no, we aren't dating. We're just friends."

The man blinked. "Are you sure?"

Edward nodded. "Positive." He decided to lie. "I, uh, have a girlfriend anyway."

 

The man laughed, but was interrupted by a pushy five year old who wanted to play a round.

 

Edward tucked the tiger under one arm and took Koda's hand with the other. "C'mon, there's still so much to do."

 

He sighed quietly to himself.

Koda grinned as she squeezed both her rabbit and his hand harder.

 

He had to wonder what she thought, when he held her hand.

He wondered if she thought the same things he did...

 

...and always had.

 



© 2012 Emunah June.


Author's Note

Emunah June.
Yup, setting the tone. :3

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

WOO!
Onto the next one!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awe, this was a cute chapter. Edward and Koda deserve to be a couple. I feel bad that Koda can't see. Awe, he won the bunny for her. And it was cute that Koda gave him a tiger. Hehe the man could pick up on it that he liked him. Great chapter. Can't wait to read on. Write more soon. :3

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 22, 2012
Last Updated on January 23, 2012


Author

Emunah June.
Emunah June.

Inside My Own Mind, Amestris



About
Shalom Alechiem! Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Emmy, and I've been on this site for a long, long time. There was an admitted period of absence, and for that I apologize, but I am back no.. more..

Writing