on the rocks

on the rocks

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

on the rocks



famous people
want for nothing
live free then die early
in the evening of their existence

as time no longer wanes
it rushes to curb celebrity
shorter lives, longer drinks
cars in pieces
lives in shreds
Paparazzi like sharks
scavenge on bleeding careers

famous people
succumb
to fame
like a wrestler pinned to a mat

headlines of tragedy
gone too soon
then forgotten before the next name
appears as yet another fallen star

famous people
would rather be transparent
drink alone
keep secret that extra olive
in their martinis...

erin-cilberto
7/28/22

© 2022 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

i have to disagree with you jacob!

i do not want privacy but rather am a seeker of the glaring limelight of notoriety without any regard for my private personal space!
take all the pictures you want of my naked old man body!
talk bad about my failures!
speak harshly of my baby mamas! and what tramps they must be!
i really just don't fuking care!
HA!
APRIL FOOLS! ... i'm getting a head start

i don't want to find out the hassles and/or problems of being one of the rich and famous!

there was of course a time in my younger days i don't think i would have minded the groupies! HA!

enjoyable read!

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

thank you, keith....your response made me smile but not flash pictures...
I guess many of us .. read more
keith

1 Year Ago

i just want to make art until the day i die
jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

you will, you will.
that "extra olive" is like a blaring neon sign, "here I am", "here I am" whether they want to be seen or not... fame and fortune, it's the American dream isn't it???? the goal of "pursuit of happiness" codified into the law and morality of the land... but hey, isn't America great!!?? where else can you find and what does this say about the culture and morality in vogue today..... the other problem is way too many of the best innovators and cultural leaders die way too early....

oh, and by the way, I'll have a whiskey neat, no rocks.... ;0)

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

afraid that is true, Curt...too many die way too early....the good ones...
I will signal the .. read more
It is Sad that they had the Fortune to travel to beautiful Mountain Tops… and yet the Celebrities could not find Peace to enjoy Apricots and a quiet healthy Life. Just listening to old Vintage records of Elvis singing “I believe in the Man in the Sky” and “He touched me”.. has brought Peace to my Soul. Your Poem is a Classic and has touched me deeply. Pat

Posted 1 Year Ago


Patricia Wedel

1 Year Ago

Six is a vulnerable age.. my Son was four when he and I went into a Thrift Store where on a Shelf wa.. read more
jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

what a sweet story...I love violin....
Patricia Wedel

1 Year Ago

Hi Jacob… if you call up You Tube and ask for Violin Lessons… it is Amazing. I would rather hav.. read more
It's their choice, they have managers who bleed the life and talent out of them until often they turn to drugs as Elvis did and just burn themselves out.
I prefer to be a little insignificant person .... but my own person every time.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

yes, I agree...quietly be our own person....I like that.
thank you, Stella,
j.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Morning Jacob, having only recently watched the latest Elvis movie he came to mind. What a talent, what a waste of a life his was and were many more after him.
Hope you are keeping well :))

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

Yes, 42, so sad and just a shell of what he was...
thank you for your words,
j.
If I were to pick a celebrity for this it would be Tiger Woods. The news cycle has cut our 15 minutes, to one. Much to the benefit of those under the microscope. Olives are probably hard to come by ... supply chain issues.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

yes, Olives are...thank you, Bill,
j.
So true and well said sir Jacob. To gain fame and fortune, we lose many other things in life and the list is long as you wonderfully state in truth. Hard to find the balance between the spiritual aspect and the material at that high level or extreme achievement. I feel they experience lot of voids and try to compensate with drugs, alcohol, sex...

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

I agree, Sami....but the compensation just leads to disaster.
j.
Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

Yes siiiirrrr. All true and well said. You are welcome sir Jacob.
This one made me think of Princess Diana. My impression is that people don't realize what they're getting into when they achieve celebrity. The spotlight is simultaneously a flare, with hungry tabloid sharks eager to exploit it. We have heard many of the famed mourn the loss of privacy, but it doesn't do any good. There is always a long line of successors yelling, "Look at me!"

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

I appreciate your response, John, and totally agree...
j.
I want for nothing, even fame. I tiptoed into my daughter's bedroom this morning and kissed her on the cheek and whispered I love you. She threw both arms around my neck and smothered me with kisses and said, I love you too, Daddy. I had to peel her off. (laughing) So how could anyone possibly want for more? Maybe it's about priorities and what we think is important? Maybe it's about realizing what truly matters. It must be really difficult to sustain material wealth and public approval without an overwhelming fear of when it will end. I remember Jimmy Dean saying, "After I made my first million, I started working harder than ever because I was scared to death that one day I'd wake up and be forced to go back digging ditches in the Texas heat." He had a job actually digging irrigation ditches at one time. If "success" is living in such fear, I'm glad I never had much. But I'm happy with my life and more than comfortable in my own skin. I guess the more you have, the more you have to lose. But I don't envy those living life on the rocks.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

You are celebrity to her, Fabian...that is all you need.
Success might be something to shoot .. read more
I agree with you; the rich and famous die at early ages....they are so vulnerable.... they live in glass houses, where every move is photographed... they have no privacy...they drink to excess, take drugs, divorce, re-marry several times... they can' be normal people... they hide in their own fish bowls...they mostly lead tragic lives...and die too early.
Good topic J.
Best, B


Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

I would rather live in a normal house...undetected...
thank you for your insights, Betty,
read more
Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

me too!! You're very welcome J.
P.S not sure of my book sales, but think 45 paperbacks and th.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 28, 2022
Last Updated on July 28, 2022

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Now Now

A Poem by Einstein Noodle