Coasters

Coasters

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

Coasters

 

 

 

barflies

swatted with turn-downs

blood of the heart spilled

 

drinks sit undrunk

the bartender wipes clean

the aftermath

 

all the one-night stands 

that never happen

the rivals pick at the leftovers

 

scant helpings

wings torn

walking a fine line

 

between death

and flying

 

or maybe doing both

at once.

 

 

 

 

erin-cilberto

2/14/23

© 2023 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

That fine line between death and dying is a staple/steadfast in human religious tradition. So much fasting, purification, so many rituals designed to wear your body and mind down so much that only your intuition and soul remain. I feel like so many people feel so out of touch with the lives and the world so often, and somehow alcohol helps with that (or people think it does), shedding all of the distractions, feeling numb, and being alone with your own thoughts/true self. Part of the ritual of drinking as a single person is, of course, rolling the dice on approaching someone who is there for the same reason as you. I don't think binge drinking or blacking out or getting into a bar fight are necessary components of the human experience, but still I feel like with the increasing digitalization and seclusion the world promotes, people no longer even have that outlet/chance of meeting a random stranger in a bar and maybe having a good time. That possibility, that potential needs to exist, I feel like it has to be somewhat dangerous in either a real or metaphorical way, or people will lose that sense of their inner child forever. What fun explorations/unknowns even exist anymore that don't cost 100 bucks a pop?

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

Really....100 bucks a pop....so true.
I appreciate your insights.
j.
Ah, yes: death and flying. And quite an aftermath. Thanks, Jacob.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

Thank you, Andrew,
j.
I can happily attest to this never being a part of my life. There is such a sense of desolation and despair and loneliness here. No amount of alcohol can ever take that away.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

same here...never got into the bar scene...life looks better with clear eyes.
thank you, Lind.. read more
Ah, I remember bars. Being Scottish it is almost compulsory, but that was before age related health conditions forced me not only to refrain from anything carbonated, but also from anything that used to make me burp, which has the now added discomfort of leaving me feeling like I'm having a heart attack and makes my left arm numb.
Now I'm not even allowed tap water!!! &! and get my mineral water bottles on prescription!
I think old age is what we pay for thinking ourselves invulnerable in youth.
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to fit a drip of super strength gaviscon up so I can have my morning bran flakes 😊

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

yes, we think we are invincible...far from it.
j.
I played the part for forty long years with my band before Covid made the last call for me. Kind of glad to.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

Covid sure did change things.
great description of a bar scene.. the usual's who like to get high... the non existent or sometimes one night stands, those who ponder life in general but really don't have a life....the rotten bar food, the pickings that get shoved down...these are the in between.....life and death, with scant substance for anything.
Always love your work, mentor.....
Best, B

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

thank you, Betty.
Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

So glad to have you back!
And of course you’re very welcome!
Best, B
Trapped betwixt and between the daily/nightly happenings like groundhog day, everyday, perhaps their life choice but whichever, whatever, the barflies of this world just get on with it, looking for the answers to life's ambiguities at the bottom of a once filled wine glass or a bottle of strong liquor?

Interesting poetic perusing as ever friend Jacob!

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

thank you, Tom,'
j.
A lot of splendid imagery in this one. Yes, I remember the singles bars. I had a lot of one night stands that never happened. Hell, I got shot down by the leftovers.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

damn those leftovers..
thanks for getting me,
j.
Years ago I worked on an inventory crew-in my early 20s-and when we gpt off our runs we'd spend our time at this bar--and the one down the street where th girls got prettier at closing time.
Thanks for the Memories, Jacob.

Bob-er...Winston

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

Last call!!!!!!!!!!
thanks, Bob-er, Winston,
j.
W. Barrett Munn

1 Year Ago

for alcohol.

Winston
So much darkness in such brief lines.

Posted 1 Year Ago


MomzillaNC

1 Year Ago

You're welcome.

I've been dragging along. But, I had my first iron infusion today -- .. read more
jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

we are a pair....must get healthy....both of us.
MomzillaNC

1 Year Ago

Yeah… it's hard sometimes. I've been so fatigued for months now and declining before that. It took.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 20, 2023
Last Updated on February 20, 2023

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren