proud of my draft card

proud of my draft card

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

proud of my draft card

 

 

half a man

came back from nam

 

the mine blew his leg

now the other must beg

 

for help with movement

when the mind was slowed by a bullet

to the point of no return

 

torn soldiers

toy soldiers

jigsaw puzzle man

back from nam

 

feeling a draft

from where his brain used to sit

now an open window

 

into the few thoughts he has left

that make sense.

 

 

erin-cilberto

4/6/23

© 2023 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I continue to be grateful for the finger of fate that directed me to enlist in a reserve unit when Vietnam was still a small war and Sam wasn't drafting 18 year olds to go there. Many were not so fortunate and ended up dead or in the shape of the guy described in this work. And still wars continue. As the old 60''s ballad asked, when will they ever learn?

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

"where have all the flowers gone?" "long time passing"
I am glad you did what you did and av.. read more



Reviews

Truth and compassion ooze from this marvelous, piece of history poem. It is a reminder of the hefty prices of war: Physical, emotional and spiritual. The damage is done to all sides concerned.
Soldiers lost so much and the arms industry made billions.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

thank you for your kind words, Sami,
j.
Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

You are welcome sir Jacob.
I don't know any Vietnam veterans who "wanted" to go to Vietnam and I know seven of them personally. But they went because they had no other choice except to run away to Canada to dodge the draft. And none of them I know claim to be "heroes" although they were all actively deployed in combat. I know one Marine and six regular Army soldiers. Two of the Army veterans are my brother and brother-in-law. The rest are all very close friends who've all opened up to me about their combat experiences. When they came home after doing their unwilling military "duty" for their country people booed them, spat on them and called them "baby killers". My brother served as a combat medic who saved countless American lives and more than a few Vietnamese children and adults during his service. I can't tell you how much he enjoyed his welcome home. He resigned and spent the next twenty years in service. He's a good man but he doesn't have very much nice to say about his "government".

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

these days, not much kind to say.
I knew a few who went to Canada....and some friends who cam.. read more
A great reminder of who must pay the price of the arrogance of old rich men. And dissenters get Kent State.

Winston

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

When Kent State happened we had riots at SIU that forced a shut down of the school with 3 weeks left.. read more
Ilike the sarcastic title. And they didn't just suffer physically but mentally from memories and what people referred to them as. I believe many of them call nam the place that god forgot...or something to that effect. And they went for nothing.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

it would seem that it was the place God forgot...but we won't ever...nor forget those who tragically.. read more
Man and nam! I loved the play of words! What a picture you create of the broken soldiers of Nam!. A stunning poem and one that made me wonder if they're well taken care of. They're left with so little of themselves, physically and mentally.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

yes, so little of themselves...just ain't fair.
thank you, divya,
j.
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

You're most welcome, dear Jacob.
Dear J I read this fifteen minutes ago, left to absorb my thoughts and came back to reread. This piece is so powerful, it literally has tears running from my eyes. You could write a book about this poem, but all that I want to say here is that the way vets are treated is often disgusting. To think that they are left horribly maimed and forced to beg is beyond my comprehension. We have the same on this side of the pond our vets left on the streets while we house illegal immigrants in four star hotels. What sort of crackpot government does that? Yes ours. Ace writing from you dear J.

Have a happy Easter my friend, on a much lighter note.

Chris

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

Thank you for your kind words, Chris...the war away and the war back home....their fight is endless... read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 7, 2023
Last Updated on April 7, 2023

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..