Chapter One: Dreaming of a Nightmare

Chapter One: Dreaming of a Nightmare

A Chapter by finnscxtt

I wrap both my hands round the mug, drawing warmth from its contents. I haven't even taken a sip of my hot chocolate yet. It's been about eight minutes since I got served for the second time and settled back down at my usual table in the far corner, staring at my blank phone and laptop screens. The cream on top is almost melted away on this hot chocolate by now; Mona, the café's owner and my aunt, gave me the second one free since I didn't touch the first one at all and in her words I "seem a little distracted". She's not wrong either. I guess I better get it done sooner rather than later, but firstly I have to phone Clara and actually drink this hot chocolate before it goes stone cold.

Bringing the rim of the mug to my lips I let the warm creamy cocoa seep into my mouth, awakening my taste buds and bringing a smile to my lips. After a few enjoyable gulps of my hot chocolate I put the mug back on the table and pick up my phone. Scrolling through the list of lesser than ten contacts, I click on 'Monster', pressing the phone to my ear as it begins to ring. After two rings I take another sip of my beverage, and just as I put the white ceramic back down, Clara picks up.

"Hey it's Clara. What's up buttercup?"

"Nothing much Monster and I see you didn't look at the caller ID again."

"Tally! Can you please stop calling me that, please?! And of course I didn't look at who is interrupting our rehearsal. You know how important it is for me to know the set-list, our first gig is next Monday." Gosh, why did she take after Aunt Mona in the dramatics?

"Yeah and what do you think Dad would say if he found out you haven't been studying as much and going out to party on school nights like you've been telling him?" The other end of the line goes silent and a faint huff comes through the speaker. Good, that's exactly what I expected.

"Sorry to burst your bubble Monster but-"

"Tally! Stop it!" She really hates that nickname but she knows I could easily shop her in. Guess I hold all the power over her and my barely audible evil-villain-like chuckle definitely shows it, and it also shows her that too.

"Yeah, well, whatever. Anyways, you know that I've only got you covered until half six tonight so could you please finish up early today? I'm stressing out about this physics test Wednesday, and work, and I really just want to go for a run tonight. So just, yeah... In fact I'm telling you to finish up at five and I'll pick you up at ten past. No 'ifs' or 'buts' Clara. I just, I don't mean to, you know what I mean Clara so just be ready or I'll drag your arse out of your boyfriends house, or garage or wherever you guys have 'band practice'."

"Okay. Sorry Tally. Take it easy sis. I'll be ready for you. Ten past five? Okay then..." I'm about to pull the phone away from my ear when she speaks again although it's barely audible, "...And he's not my boyfriend." And with that she abruptly disconnects the call.

Wow! Did I really just flake out on my sister? My baby sister the free-spirit who hasn't done anything wrong to me since we were young menacing kids; what is wrong with me today?

I place my phone back on the table and realise my other hand is all balled up in a fist. I straighten my hands out, stretching them and rolling my shoulders and neck to try and relieve myself of this sudden tension. My hands are shaking slightly for some reason, so I pick the mug up with both hands and swallow the rest of my hot chocolate, which is barely warm now.

Now that I've finally polished it off I push the now empty cup further back on the table, now next to where I've put my phone. I tap the mousepad on my laptop to wake it up and pull it towards me so that I can type comfortably.

I open the chat window and click on the tab of my online pen-pal to continue our conversation.

tallytehparty289: Hey buddy, sorry I never got back to you yesterday - had homework due this morning and I hadn't quite finished it. Anyways, I think that you're right about getting help with my work, (as much as I hate to admit defeat and ask for help.) Any ideas as to how I can go about this? I've thought about asking around in school and of asking friends but I think that I'd rather keep my work and school life separate if I possibly can.

I hit enter. Sent.

Delivered.

tallytehparty289: I just realised how desperate I'm sounding. I bet you're not even online. But you know what? It doesn't really matter for now, it's just in case you had any ideas and there's no rush, you probably already have a life outside the internet. Sorry.

Viewed.

Oh sugar! Did I really just send that? That apology for the sounding desperate with the addition of sounding even more desperate? My gosh, what have I done. What have I done? What have I done!

I run my fingers through my hair in annoyance and hang my head in shame. I shut my eyes and think of my happy place. Sounds so cliché having a 'happy place' but it's the one thing that allows me to grasp onto humanity and wake me up to the realities of the world. I'm just picturing the clear night sky above me with the stars illuminating the trees and the buildings which surround me, as the cool breeze drifts over me, sliding through my hair and dancing around my fingers of my outstretched arms-

*beep-beep*

My eyes open as I lift my head and sit up straight with fingers at the ready to reply, all in one quick swift movement. I scan my eyes over the following message.

Ufall4Me17: You sound adorable when you stumble upon your words. And I bet you're going to be blushing when you read this. Changing back to the subject at hand, I agree about keeping your work separate from you social interactions at school and likewise. Don't want any more complications than it already is being a teenager, right? Oh, and about the whole 'looking for help' thing why don't you do it the traditional ways: putting advertisements in the papers or a shop window, or add a little technology into the matter and advertise online. Don't know if this helps any but that's all I can think of at the moment. I'll let you know if I think of any more.

Right, so traditional advertising? I'm sure I could manage that, sounds simple enough.

I start to type out my quick reply of thanks and the excuse of having to go and pick up my sister now and that I should be online later tonight.

*beep-beep*

I'm interrupted mid-sentence as another message has popped up.

UFall4Me17: Oh, and the only reason I'm online right now is that I'm at this quaint little café having some tea, this amazingly delicious chocolate chip muffin... and you probably guessed already, doing homework. The usual from the average high school student who would rather save the Wi-Fi at home for social and gaming reasons over the all-important academics.

Not a moment later, there's an additional message received.

UFall4Me17: This café reminds me of a nineteenth century theatre bar. It's got the red velvet curtains on the long windows and this rich brown oak is used for everything; tables, chairs, even the counter at the till. I wouldn't be surprised if the toilet seats were made of this mighty fine wood. There's just an air of tranquillity here, I think you would really like it. I think it's 'Mona's', although I'm not sure, it could be 'Donna's'. But it's near this old fashioned railway bridge. This is like the most old fashioned area of the city- this café is honestly an undiscovered gem if you ask me.

My heart is pounding a million miles an hour, my palms are sweaty, my mind is racing. I slowly close my laptop and turn to stare out of the window. I do not handle shock that well, and right now I think I'm in some sort of shock but I'm not sure why. From where I am in the corner I can see most of the shops on the other side of the road. I takes about a minute of blankly staring before I realise how most of the shops still have the original facing towards the front of them and how old the red bricks of the tenements above them are.

Then something in me finally clicks. I see the connections between the similarities of where my anonymous friend is and where I currently am. I look to the top of the buildings to the left of the street: the old railway bridge. Wait, I'm in my Aunts café right now, but more specifically my Aunt Mona's café which she aptly named after herself.

Well...

S**t.



© 2016 finnscxtt


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on April 26, 2016
Last Updated on April 26, 2016
Tags: young adult, teenager, teen, humour, growing up, family, coming of age, lgbt, funny, love, lgbtq


Author

finnscxtt
finnscxtt

United Kingdom



About
I'm a Media student, but will be starting the course in September so I technically will be then. I've always had a passion for reading and falling in love with characters and their stories - so I've t.. more..

Writing
Page Break Page Break

A Book by finnscxtt