Chapter Four: Sparkly Touch

Chapter Four: Sparkly Touch

A Chapter by finnscxtt

Since I arranged with Gus to meet in Mona's on Friday, and that we'd both have our copies of Perfume so that we can identify each other, I had decided to re-read the novel since I love it so much. Naturally we've kept in contact, texting back and forth, just general conversations and not going into too much detail about our lives. All I know so far is that he's really sweet, likes to send random jokes which are completely out of context to any conversations we've had so far, and that we may become friends! I know I'm being a little too optimistic, but the only friend I have that isn't family is Emily Li, and that's only because we share the same passion for physics. Oh, and she's on the cross-country team; how could I forget that?

Anyway, I am presently sitting in Mona's at my usual secluded corner and checking my e-mails to see if I've had any replied from my ad. Yes, I did eventually take Gus' advice and I posted an advertisement online, using job websites as well as uploading a status on Facebook, just in the off chance one of the idiots at school fancies helping me out, although I highly doubt it. I only posted them this morning so I don't know why I was expecting to receive any replies this soon.

I don't have any study classes or training with the cross-country team tonight so I decided to spend my evening at Mona's. I spoke with Aunt Mona for a while when she was on a break and suggested that I put an advert in her shop window, which is something she never does for anyone, but says that I'm an exception since I'm her niece.

Sure it's disheartening that no one's offered me any help since I started my mini business venture, but I am trying my best here. 

****************************************************************

I spent my time at Mona's last night refreshing my e-mails and checking my phone in between typing up my latest report. I'm lucky that I don't have any party bookings this week as it would make looking for an assistant all the more stressful.

I do have my biggest booking in three weeks' time though; a set of triplet boys are having a surprise seventh birthday party and their mum is wanting to invite all of their friends (and family of course). A surprise birthday party is what I'm good at organising - well since it's my job - but this one is on a massive scale since all three of the boys have different friends. This large scale job made me realise that maybe I can't do everything all on my own, and I've only booked the venue, and ordered the balloons and decorations. Oh well, I best not dwell on it " I can always persuade Matthew to help me now that he's back home for a little while.

I pick my phone up to check the time " and to see if I've received any recent texts from Gus, but I haven't and he shouldn't be here for another half an hour or so. I put my phone back down on the table, deciding to check my laptop for any e-mails. None. Why did I even bother getting my hopes up? I don't think this stress will be doing me any favours so I decide it's best to just switch my laptop off and put it away in my satchel under the table " like I should be putting my thoughts about party planning to the back of my head.

Finally picking up my book, I open it to where I left off and chew on the end of my bookmark. Nasty habit I know, but it's something I started doing when I went through my nail-biting stage of life, and well now I don't have ragged nails anymore. Tah-dah!

****************************************************************  

I soon become absorbed in the descriptive nature of the narrative when my reading it interrupted by a shadow covering the print on the paged before me.

"Hey your Tally right?" his voice is smooth. My heart started beating a hundred miles per hour.

I look up and instantly meet his eyes, "Gus?" He looks like he's hiding something, I can see it in his eyes, and just as I want to look further into his soul and see what's troubling him, he squeezes his eyes shut and dips his head and I can no longer see his face. All of this is happening quicker than I can blink.

I don't know what to do now. I don't know if I should say anything. So, naturally I just do nothing.

Next thing I know he's sitting across from me at my table. He puts his book down on the table, lays his hands on top of it then hits his head gently off the back of his hands.

Suddenly I get a thought, "Want to start again? I mean we may as well try and get this off to a better start with a second chance right?"

He whips his head up and his expression changes from what I assume to be frustration to surprise. It's now that I realise what's hidden behind his eyes, vulnerability.

Taking charge of this situation once again I reach my hand across the table to meet his, which he extends to accept my offer and we shake in a formal greeting. I smile at him and properly introduce myself to him.

"Tallulah Page, present with novel, party problems and a hand of friendship" I say with too much enthusiasm even for me. I feel like cringing at myself.

He laughs, and wow his laugh is so infectious that I myself let out a chuckle.

After the laughter dies down from both of us he finally introduces himself.

"August Blake, also present with novel and a hand of friendship, only I offer an ear and advice for previously mentioned party problems" he says smiling. His smile is even infectious that I now feel like I'm beaming as much as he is.

But his smile falters slightly before he speaks again, "And we're still holding hands... Is this what they call an extended greeting?"

I lightly laugh at his quip and we both retract our hands from one another, "Possibly, although I really wouldn't know since formal greetings are a rare find these days."

It isn't until I've finished speaking that I feel like I've just come down from a sugar rush or suffering the after effects of an adrenaline high. I'm not sure why I feel like this, but it's most likely me getting over the nervousness of meeting someone new in the flesh for the first time.

"Umm... So do you want some coffee? Tea? Hot Chocolate even?" I ask being courteous, even though I know I can get it for free since Mona's my aunt and I work here whenever I can to help out.

"It's fine, I'll go and get it myself" he responds, coming to stand.

"No, no! Sit down, honestly I'll get it. My aunt gives me a lot of stuff for free."

He sits back down again, a little unsure of his actions, "Really? You mean that your aunt works here and gets away with giving you free stuff?"

"Nah, my aunt owns the place, remember? I say and stand up, pushing my chair back with my legs as I get up, "So what're you having?"

"Uhh... I'll have tea thanks" he says with bewilderment in his eyes still.

"Milk? Sugar?"

"Yeah, and two please"

"Okay, sorted. It'll be with you as soon as I order it" I say with a smile and make my way over to the counter where my aunt is forever stationed.

The strong aroma of coffee fills my senses as countless cups are constantly on the brew. My aunt is always keeping herself busy and doesn't even notice me standing there from cleaning the counter until she can see her face reflecting back at her.

"Hi Aunt Mona" she looks up at me slightly startled since I broke her concentration.

"Oh sweetie I never saw you there," she puts the cloth into her apron pocket and wipes her hands against the burgundy material tied around her waist. Actually this is the first time that I've noticed that the aprons and ties from the uniform match the velvet curtains draping around the windows " funny that.

"What can I do for you my girl?"

"Tea please, milk and two sugars" I say smiling, but she looks at me confused, then I realise that I never ever drink tea, that it's always hot chocolate. "And the usual for me please?" I say grinning like a fool, trying to cover the fact that I'm ordering for two.

Aunt Mona starts grabbing the cups and ingredients from various places and expertly works the dispensers, "So who's the tea for Tally?" she says when her backs turned to me.

After a couple of minutes of silence from me, she turns around to give me my hot chocolate, I bow my head to hide my face, but my aunt's a lot smarter than everyone takes her for (yeah, she has a lot of 'blond' moments, but she does own a café). As she places the white ceramic mug down on the counter with a soft clink, she pauses and I can feel her looking around the space behind me.

"Well isn't that a handsome young man sitting at your usual table." I look up to my left to where Gus is. I can sense Aunt Mona leaning over the counter slightly towards me, her statement just sinking in. "That boy is a keeper my girl," she whispers into my right ear, my hair tickling my face with her quiet spoken words. I swear she should still be a teenager, she's worse than Clara at times.

With a childish giggle, Aunt Mona goes back to making tea for the aforementioned boy and leaves me still standing exactly where I am. My ears feel warm and I quickly turn to see my reflection in the coffee machine " yep, I am actually blushing. This is definitely a first, I'm used to my aunt's girlish antics, yet here I am blushing at the words of a whisper all over some boy that I've only really just met.

I can't help it, I fell drawn to him and my vision has subconsciously gravitated towards him again.

He just seems to have an air of innocence and vulnerability about him yet I can imagine him being such a confident and outspoken person.

Watching him, in the least creepy way possible, I'm actually starting to notice things about him. I can see how dark his hair is, the short messy style framing his face perfectly. His hair colour matching that of the leather jacket he's wearing, softened by the weather yet having the right amount of edge and depth that shows you how deep his soul seems. I can't see his eyes from where I am but I can see his lips and how he's switching between biting his nails and bottom lip " clearly indicating some degree of nerves still present.

Apart from the lip biting and nibbling his nails, Gus shows no other signs of being nervous. His shoulders aren't tense, no bouncing legs, no fidgeting feet; it seems like he's used to being in situations similar to this.

"Your tea's ready my sweetie." Brought out of my thoughts, I turn back to Aunt Mona who's nudging the two white mugs on the counter towards me.

I hook my fingers into the handle of the one containing my own hot chocolate and dangerously grip the body of the other mug. "Thank you," I say with a quick smile and make my way back over to my table.

When I get there I place my mug down beside my book and then turn to give Gus his tea. As I set the mug down and turn the handle toward his hand, he reaches for the mug at the exact same time and in the blink of an eye our fingers are dancing around one another's' clumsily.

All of this is happening so instantaneously that I'm not sure what's not happening at all. It just feels electric.

"This is strange..." his voice breaking out silence, but I still feel connected to him as our hands are still touching. I look away from our hands and into his eyes. They're mesmerising " a deep brown, so dark it's almost as dark as the night sky yet there's something shining from within his starry eyes. He speaks again, "I like strange though," and his smile says it all " we're going to become firm friends, and fast.

Well I hope our friendship develops a lot quicker than I may fall for him.

Wait, does that mean that Aunt Mona was right? That I may actually be susceptible to falling for someone? And that that someone is none other than August Blake?



© 2016 finnscxtt


Author's Note

finnscxtt
This is the song which inspired this chapter, and also the title which is pretty obvious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3u_7vUAr8w

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on April 26, 2016
Last Updated on April 26, 2016
Tags: coming of age, family, growing up, humour, teen, teenager, young adult, love, funny, lgbt, lgbtq


Author

finnscxtt
finnscxtt

United Kingdom



About
I'm a Media student, but will be starting the course in September so I technically will be then. I've always had a passion for reading and falling in love with characters and their stories - so I've t.. more..

Writing
Page Break Page Break

A Book by finnscxtt