The Procession and Glorification of the Holy Spirit

The Procession and Glorification of the Holy Spirit

A Chapter by Ethan Paz
"

This is a systematic study on the procession and the Holy Spirit. A small article from me to you.

"

 

 

 

The Procession and the Glorification

of the Holy Spirit.

 

 

by

Ethan Paz

 

 

           

Why Should I Read This

            Theology is the study of God; however, theology should not be limited only to theologians. The Word of God contains truths that will make one wise for salvation (2 Tim. 3:15). The Word of God also builds us up spiritually (2 Tim. 3:16). The Word of God even reveals to us Christ (Jn. 5:39). Ultimately, we read the Scriptures not because it is commanded of us, but because we want to know more of God (2 Tim. 3:15). By knowing more theology, we not only become more knowledgeable in the faith, but we can also apply these truths to our lives. Theology applied is theology learned.

            This article will be directing you to the procession and glorification of the Holy Spirit. In this paper, you will learn how the Trinity “began”, how the Trinity glorifies each other, and how the procession affects our lives. After the paper, you will find the conclusion. The conclusion contains truths as to how to apply the theology learned. After the conclusion, you will find Appendix A. Appendix A is a diagram showing the procession of the Holy Spirit. After Appendix A, you will find Appendix B. Appendix B shows the glorification of the Trinity.

            As you read this paper, remember how great our God is. Even while you read this paper, one should give glory to God (1 Cor. 10:31; Col. 3:17).

           

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Procession of the Holy Spirit

The Trinity   

            God the Father: From the beginning of the Bible to the end of it, God is shown as eternal. Genesis 1:1 says that God is eternal. Time did not exist until the universe was created and we know that God created the universe. Many bible references explain the eternality of God (Isaiah 57:15; 1 Cor. 2:7; 2 Tim.1:9). Since God is eternal, it is impossible for Him to come suddenly into existence. Hence, we say that God is unregenerate.

            God the Son: Jesus is the Son of God. The word Son seems subordinate to the Father (Jn. 5:19; 5:30). However, Scripture proves otherwise (5:18). Jesus is God (10:30). Hence, it is of no surprise that Jesus has had a long history (1:1-2). However, seeing that Jesus is, in fact, a Son, Jesus cannot be unregenerate. Jesus is regenerate (Heb. 1:3). When the sun was created, how long did it take the ray to be emitted from the sun? No answer can be given for this question, for when the sun is so is the ray.

            God the Spirit: The Holy Spirit (Parakletos) comes from (proceeds) God the Father and God the Spirit (Jn. 15:26; Gal. 4:6; Rom. 8:9; 1 Cor. 2:11). When the Bible talks about the Spirit of God or the Spirit of Christ, it is referring to the Holy Spirit, most of the time. We have two processions, but we have one Spirit (Rom. 8:9).

 

Two Different Processions

            Spirit of Christ: When Jesus sends the Spirit to us from Himself, it implies that the Spirit proceeds from the Son to the Father than to us (Gal. 4:6). So the Spirit that proceeds from the Son to the Father than to us grants us the ability as adoption of sons (Rom. 8:15). This in return grants us every spiritual blessing (Eph. 1:3) The Spirit of God and the Spirit of Christ both give us different blessings because of the different roles God the Father and God the Son play.

            Spirit of God: The Spirit that proceeds from Christ is as unique as the Spirit that proceeds from God. As Christ fulfills a differing role than that of God, so is the Spirit maintaining a different procession from God the Son and God the Father. Whereas the Spirit of Christ offers the adoption of sons which in return grants us every spiritual blessing, the Spirit of God offers us the opportunity to know the hidden things of God (2 Cor. 2:10-13; Col. 1:27).

            One Spirit: However, these two seemingly different processions are yet by the Holy Spirit, not Holy Spirits. Romans 8:9 shows the equality of the Spirit of God and the Spirit of Christ by stating, “You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.” Though the processions from God the Father and God the Son are one of its kind, we see that the processions from the Son and the Father are of one Spirit. The procession that comes from God goes to Jesus (Rom. 8:9; 1 Cor. 2:11). The procession that comes from Jesus goes to God (Gal. 4:6; Rom. 8:9). The Holy Spirit maintains the ability as the adoption of Sons and knowing the mind of God.

 

Transferred Processions

            The Ability to Adopt in God: We have two different processions. However, how does the procession from Christ go to God or how does the procession from God go to Christ, seeing that the Spirits proceeding are different? Although the Spirit of Christ gives us the adoption of Sons, we see that God gives us the grace to be adopted (Eph. 1:5). The Sonship of Christ is given to God by the procession, and God gives us the grace to be adopted.

            The Ability to Know in Jesus: The procession that comes from God to Jesus is no different from the procession from Jesus to God. After seeing 1 Corinthians 2:11 in correspondence with Colossians 1:16, we know that the procession from God to Jesus grants Jesus Omniscience and Omnipotence. However, when Jesus becomes incarnate, Jesus limits His Omnipotence (Mat. 4). Jesus also limits His Omniscience (Jn. 11:34; Mt. 24:36). Jesus is not lesser God than what He was (Jesus not using His Omniscience or Omnipotence), for He still remained Omniscient and Omnipotent (Jn. 3:16-19, 50-52).

            All the Same: The different roles the Godhead plays does not conflict with Holy Spirit’s processions. The two processions played are found common among the Godhead because the Godhead attains the same attributes given which are found in the Scriptures. There is no confliction in the Godhead by the Holy Spirit’s procession.

 

Holy Spirit’s Indwelling

            Receiving the Holy Spirit through Christ’s life: The Holy Spirit maintains the attributes of God the Father and God the Son. The Holy Spirit than gives these attributes to Christ Jesus through the incarnation. When God sent His Son to earth, He also sent the Holy Spirit (Lk. 1:35). The Holy Spirit was present throughout Christ’s ministry (Isa. 42:1; 61:2). The Holy Spirit left Christ Jesus when Jesus took the sins of the world on the cross (Ps. 22:1). When Christ died and rose again, His righteousness was imputed onto those who believe in Him (1 Jn. 2:1-2; Rom. 6:23). As we have attained Christ’s righteousness that was in Christ while he lived earth, we also attained the Holy Spirit, which indwelt in Christ (Rom. 6:3-11). When we believe in Christ, we follow His footsteps.

            Explaining Pentecost: Christ’s righteousness was imputed to us and the Holy Spirit was given to us at Pentecost by Christ’s death. So how did God send the Holy Spirit to the believers at Pentecost since this was the case (Jn. 15:26; Gal. 4:6; Rom. 8:9; 1 Cor. 2:11)? Although Christ’s righteousness was given to us by His resurrection, the Holy Spirit did not come until Pentecost. Jesus told the apostles to stay at Jerusalem and wait for the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:4). When the Holy Spirit did come, we know that the Holy Spirit came to us from God by the Parakletos coming from heaven (Acts 2). Only God has made triumphal entries from the heavens, up to this point (2 Kings 2; Mt. 3:13-17, 17:1-13). The coming of the Holy Spirit did come from both the Father and the Son.

 

The Glorification of the Holy Spirit

The Holy Spirit’s processions, which glorifies

            The Holy Spirit’s procession from Christ: The Parakletos procession from Christ to God is adoption. Now this adoption, which was given to Jesus which is now given to us, glorifies God the Father and God the Son (Eph. 1:5-6; Col. 1:12; Col. 1:20; Philip. 2:10-12). The Holy Spirit glorifies Himself through the adoption of the saints (Eph. 1:11-14).

            The Holy Spirit’s procession from God: The Parakletos procession from God to Christ is wisdom. Now this wisdom, which was given to Jesus which is now given to us, glorifies God the Father and God the Son by us fulfilling God’s will in our lives and by doing the works of Christ for His honor and glory (1 Jn. 2:17; Jn. 14:12). The Holy Spirit glorifies Himself through the wisdom of God by the saints (1 Thess. 5:19). When we have wisdom for God’s will in our lives and do it, the Holy Spirit takes control of our lives, and this gives Him glory (1 Cor. 6:19-20).

            The Holy Spirit in the lives of Christians: When we are filled with the Holy Spirit, this is when we glorify God by our works and give glory to Christ Jesus (1 Cor. 10:31; Philip. 1:27). We give glory to the Holy Spirit by allowing Him to reign over our lives. The Holy Spirit seeks not His own glory, but seeks the glory for the Father and Son.

 

God the Father and God the Son glorifying the Spirit:

            God the Father glorifying the Spirit: God the Father must not only give praise to the Son, but also, give praise to the Spirit (Jn. 17:4-5; Lk. 9:18-36). In a course of relationship, one will glorify the other (1 Cor. 13:5). God gives glory to the Parakletos by 1) giving the Spirit power in influencing the world today and by 2) giving the Spirit power to seal those for the day of redemption (Zech. 4:6; Eph. 1:11-14). God gives glory to the Holy Spirit directly. God using the Holy Spirit’s power is evident through the apostolic era in the book of Acts. Although the apostolic era is over, the Spirit moves us by the Holy Scriptures (1 Cor. 13:10; 2 Pet. 1:21). Since the Spirit of Christ and the Spirit of God are equal to each other, the two processions act as gifts from God the Father and God the Son for the Parakletos (Rom. 8:9).

            God the Son glorifying the Spirit: God the Son must not only give praise to God, but also, give praise to the Spirit (Jn. 17:4-5; 9:4; 14:13). The Son gives glory to the Parakletos by 1) the regeneration of the lost and by 2) the Son in the hearts of believers, and by 3) acknowledging the Spirit’s through His life and the life’s of Christians (7:37-39). Whereas God glorifies the Parakletos directly, God glorifies the Spirit indirectly. Christ’s sacrificial atonement washes away the sins of man and breaks the barrier between God and man, making the way of the Holy Spirit freely available. God the Son also glorifies the Holy Spirit through the processions (Rom. 8:9).

 

Conclusion

            The procession of the Holy Spirit ultimately leads to the glorification of the Holy Spirit. Although there are two processions, the two processions are the same (Rom. 8:9). The Trinity is a clear expression of showing what love is. The Triad cares only for the glory of the other. The glory for self remains last in priority. By seeing the procession of the Holy Spirit, we can glorify the Holy Spirit by working the works of Christ. We can also glorify the Holy Spirit by having the wisdom of God and letting Him work in our lives. Understanding that we have the Spirit of adoption and the Spirit of wisdom in us, we all can glorify God the Father and God the Son. We can glorify God by crying out to Him through prayer and by working the works of Christ (Gal. 4:6). We can glorify the Son by simply remaining steadfast in Him (Col. 2:6-7). With the Triad on our side, who can be against us?

 



© 2011 Ethan Paz


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

soo...I just thought I would let you all know that my AMAZING boyfriend wrote this...and I love it! Thanks so much Ethan for writing this I understand a little bit more of your world...

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

549 Views
1 Review
Added on April 9, 2011
Last Updated on April 9, 2011


Author

Ethan Paz
Ethan Paz

Iron River, MI



About
What's up I'm happy your here now reading my content. The content is organized in different sections for your convenience. Many of life's questions will be answered when you read my writings. So c.. more..

Writing
Hot Temper Hot Temper

A Poem by Ethan Paz