Rouge Machine

Rouge Machine

A Chapter by Grace
"

Things get a little out of control

"

Puella was in the Dream world again, it was the Dream Lord’s turn to teach her about all the creatures and beings that serve for the Dream Lord.


First there are the pixies, they gather dreams and Lucid dreams from the fairies, they’re masters. There are five types of fairies, Normal Fairies, Dream Fairies, Lucid Dream Fairies, and Royal Fairies. The Dream Fairies deliver dream reports from the pixies that run statistics on how the person reacted to the dream. Lucid Dream Fairies Go into the dream to see if maybe the person is good enough to experience the Dream World. And Royal Fairies rule all of the other Fairies to make sure they’re all in line.


As the Dream Lord was explaining all of this, Puella was kinda falling asleep. Which is ironic. Ira and Pulchra thought they needed a week long break from the physical training, so in return of The Dream Lord Teaching Puella, they would have to help with paperwork.


Puella took a deep and tired sigh, The Dream Lord noticed this and he stopped talking.


“Are my teaching’s boring you Mrs. Chase, this will be very important when you come with my in a few weeks to meet the local Fairy king,” He declared, leaning over his desk to look at Puella in her small chair and table where she was taking notes.


“The reason why your boring me, Sir. Is that what I’ve done for training so far is fighting, killing a Nightmare on my own, and going outside to learn. Of course this will be boring me,” Puella replied with a snap as she slammed her head on the desk out of frustration. The Dream Lord sighed and he scratched his beard.

“Look, I don’t know how I’m going to make lessons like this more interesting. But you need to know all of this if you want to be a successful Dream Lord,” He began as he walk around his desk with his arms crossed. “And the fact that you told me that someone knows about you being a Marked Apprentice won’t help me sleep better at night!”


There was a knock at the magical door.


The Dream Lord sighed and he approached the door, he opened it to see Ira. She looked quite frustrated.


“Dad, there’s some Rouge Magic Machine outside that wants you,” She said in a huff, as if out of breath.


Puella was confused on many levels, she got up from her chair and faced Ira and The Dream Lord. “What is that, and why is it here,” Puella asked, almost demandingly.

The Dream Lord turned back and gave her a calming look. “They are what you call ‘Robot’. They aren’t powered by electricity, they are powered by a mineral called Magi Ore. They are usually used for magical weapons, but they can be used to power creations as well. Including Machines,” He explained, turning back around.


Puella nodded, Ira lead the both of them out of The Study and over to the front door.


There in the doorway was a rather strange looking robot. It looked a little bit like it’s arms and legs were made of bendy pipes, the hands only had 3 large fingers on each one. This thing had worn out shoes, torn baggy pants, and a dirty tunic. It had a huge old TV for a head. It’s screen was going haywire and it’s hands were holding its head as if it was in distress. Ira sighed and grabbed the robot by the neck with her left hand and slapped the side of the TV with her right hand. The screen went black for a few seconds, but then two dots and a line showed up on the screen. As if to resemble a face. “Oh, I am so sorry. I was buffering a bit there. I wanted to inform The Dream Lord that one of my Master’s newly War Machines went berserk after some codes were accidentally put in,” the Robot began as the line turned into a Capital D on it’s curved side, as if speaking. “Our workshop is only a half a mile away, we must hurry!” The Dream Lord looked to the 4ft Robot for a moment, then to Ira.


“Go grab my jacket, hat, and cane. We need to take Down a War Machine,” The Dream Lord said with narrowed eyes and a quivered lip. Ira Nodded then went back into the house. Puella looked up to him, he glanced down and nodded. It was her signal to grab her stuff.


They were following the robot through the woods, Puella had her sword and shield, The Dream Lord was in his full attire. He honestly looked like he was ready to dance to some old time Swing at the local club. Ira was also there, her Giant hammer was resting on her shoulders. They approached a giant house, it looked like the House that the Kids grew up in Mary Poppins. There were vines growing on the side of the house, and a fence that surrounded the house. There were flower beds, they were unkempt, and needed trimming. You couldn’t even see the flowers it was so bad. The robot opened the gate, and walked towards the back of the house from the left side. Stepping all over the flower beds. Puella tried not to step on them, but she just ended up falling over. The Dream lord Shook his head and he stepped over Puella and continued following the Robot. Ira did the same, Puella pulled herself up and ran up behind them. They all came upon a huge cellarer door. It was most likely because whatever was down there could get in or out.

“I must warn you, this thing is quite powerful. And I would hate to see any of you die,” The Robot said almost sadly, as the dots turned into lines. Puella approached them and patted they’re shoulder. “Don’t worry about it, I’m sure we can handle it! But since this thing was actually meant for war, I might be a tad concerned. But other than that, I bet we can do this,” Puella said trying to be helpful.


The Robot’s eyes turned into stars and the mouth turned into an capital O. The Dream Lord loudly coughed and opened one of the double doors. Ira followed him down, and Puella followed her into the dark abyss. The stairs were quite steep,  and it felt like you could slip if you placed a foot wrong. There was a dip light from a torch at the end of the tunnel, you could hear the sounds of steam and mechanical parts moving. The Dream Lord stopped at the edge of the tunnel, and peered into the mysterious room. He turned back towards the group. With his chain from his pocket watch glistening in the light and his monocle sort of blinding out his left eye from view. He motioned his right hand to move towards him and look into the room. They obeyed and they all peered in. There seemed to be boilers all over this huge room. It must have been 100 yards wide and 200 yards long. These boilers were most likely heating up this giant house, but then puella thought that maybe it was for something else besides from that. There in the corner of this huge room was this huge pile of coal, and there was a metallic figure hunched over this 10 foot tall. There were the sounds of metal stabbing into the coal, and maybe the sound of the coal going down this creature’s throat. It had giant wings that were bigger than the creature itself, there were talons at the ends of these wings that were similar to a bats, and the color of these wings were a metallic crimson, along with the rest of the body. It had this fin like spine, it looked a lot like a fish’s spine. But this had to be to help it fly. It had a long tail with flaps at the end, Puella couldn’t see the head. But there was something glowing from that general area. The Dream Lord grabbed Puella and Ira and pulled them both back into the tunnel, as if to get out of sight of this giant machine. “Alright, we are gonna find the ‘Off’ switch on this bloody thing as quickly as possible. I don’t wanna pay for the damages, and I have a good feeling that if you follow my lead. Then we’ll get back to studying as soon as possible,”He whispered in a calm tone, but when he turned his head to Puella, he sort of said in in a low growl. Ira nodded, as if she was a soldier following orders. And Puella sheepishly walked towards the tunnels entrance. Puella saw a Boiler across from her, she could probably hide from the monster and find a way to get closer from there. She rushed over to the boiler and hid behind it, Ira peered from the tunnel and saw a large boiler towards the Machine. The Dream Lord Saw a boiler across from Ira’s Boiler, and rushed over as quietly as possible. The Giant kept on eating this coal, as if it was thanksgiving for this Machine. Puella looked over to the other machine that was still at the edge of the Tunnel, hiding from the other giant, monstrous machine. Puella, saw the boiler where Ira was hiding behind. She seemed like she was about to move, Ira looked antsy. Like she wanted to bash the monster with the giant hammer she had. Puella didn’t know her long, but she knew that Ira was always ready to knock anything, or anyone’s head in. Puella shifted her right hand close to the boiler, trying her best not to touch it.


It seemed that Puella hand got too close, because the back of her hand touched the boiler. Puella didn’t react after a few seconds, but she dropped her short sword, and grabbed her wrist, and screamed. The room fell dead silent after Puella was done screaming bloody murder, She heard the sound of the giant Metal beast moving, they were doomed.


Puella fought through the pain and she picked up the sword by the grip and got ready to fight. Ira and The Dream Lord didn’t dare move, Puella was worried that she’d be left for dead by the only people she could ever trust in this world. That was when the beast peeked it’s head past the boiler Puella was behind, this beast was terrifying. It had a dragon’s head, it’s teeth poked out like a crocodile. They were like steel pikes sticking out of the creatures mouth. It had a sack under its chin, something that a real reptile had. It’s mouth had glass slits that started from the sides of the mouth to the shoulder blades, showing red and orange fire inside the Machine. It opened its mouth, revealing that coal was actually kept in the sack. The back of it’s mouth seemed to glow, like the fire from inside was going to fire out like a flamethrower. It was time to move, and fast. Puella ran to the left and around the Machine. A large ball shot out of the Machine’s mouth, and it scorched the cobblestone floor, with the unique looking flames. Puella heard a puff of seam come from the Machine. Puella noticed that there were slits under the Machine’s wings, releasing steam from it’s body, and the nostrils just above the mouth. Ira steadied her giant hammer from off her shoulders, holding it sideways with the head of the hammer dragging on the ground. Ira took a powerful swing to the Machine’s back left, fat leg. It made a large dent in the Metal, sadly this wasn’t enough to defeat it. The giant monstrous machine turned it’s neck and head to face Ira. It’s eyes were a deep, metallic blue, they were sunken into the skull. Puella didn’t know why this was, but it was an interesting design choice to say the least.

The Machine turned it’s whole body around dragging it’s left leg, as if it was actually injured. The Machine seemed to inhale, as if it was getting ready for another attack. Ira was frozen. There was one thing Puella learned from her personal experiences from her games, is that sacrifice was a noble act. And this was one of those moments. Puella ran towards Ira as fast as she could. She pushed her out of the way of the Machine and she faced her shield towards the giant, and she hid behind it to protect herself. The fire escaped the Machine’s mouth, as if it was a flamethrower. The Machine seemed to be making a strange roar, as if it’s lungs were vibrating with the noise. The flames did not reach Puella, the risk seemed to be worth it. The sound of the flames stopped, Puella peeked over the top of the shield to see if it was okay to stop hiding. The machine’s head was lowered, and it’s mouth was agape. The sack in it’s mouth was empty of it’s coals, if Puella was correct. This was her time to strike. Puella jumped up and wrapped her arms around the large head, blocking it’s sunken eyes from seeing. It reared up, almost trying to shake Puella off. Puella’s grip loosened, and she slid down the Machine’s back. Puella struck her sword into the creature’s back, keeping her on the Machine. Above her, she noticed a hatch. She was hoping this was the ‘Off’ switch she was looking for. She slid her shield's straps towards her elbow so she won’t be holding onto the shield with her hand. She reached out with her left hand to open the hatch. She opened it to see a lever that was pointing up, all she had to do was grab it and pull it down. The Machine hopped up and landed back on its feet. Puella’s sword slid out from the Machine’s back, Puella grabbed the latch just in time. And when the Machine landed on its feet, it stood completely still. Puella looked up, the latch was pointed down.


Puella took a sigh of relief and let go. She slid down and of the tail, staggering as she landed on the Cobble Stone floor. The Dream Lord was pointing his cane at the Machine, but then he lowered it back towards the floor. He glared at Puella, as if the victory didn’t satisfy him.


The sound of a door creaking open echoed through the room, Puella looked towards the pile of coal and to the right was a wooden staircase that lead up to a silver door, there was a hunched over, troubled looking man. His dark brown beard reached his belly, and there were several small braids in the beard. Like it was some sort of fashion trend. He wore these protective goggles over his eyes, and his forehead was low.. He was Bald, but there was a tattoo forming this Nordic looking band that wrapped all around the skull. He was quite short, he looked like he was 4’9ft tall from up there. Puella still didn’t know of all the races in The World of Sleep. The only races she knows of is Merpeople, Sucupie, which is Ira’s race, and Humans. So you wouldn’t be sure if this tiny man was a midget, or a dwarf.  As soon as he scanned the room below, his face lit up with joy. He fully opened the door and he straightened his back, showing a cheeky smile. He rushed down the stairs as quickly as he could with his tiny legs and feet thumping on the stairs. “Ah, it’s wonderful to see you Dream Lord! It’s been decades, when our new Machine went haywire, I went to the roof with our oldest Machine and my Daughter. But then I saw the roof of your house and I decided to send that very same robot,” He laughed happily as he approached The Dream Lord with open arms, The Dream Lord knelled down steadily with his cane and he gave the short, bearded man a hug. Puella looked to her shield, some of the paint was melting off from the fire. It could have been worse. Puella glanced over to Ira, her hammer were in her hands. The head was on the ground lazily, Puella didn’t blame her. It was heavy as hell. Ira was trying not to stare as Puella, looking at the ground, then darting to the Machine that was powered off, then to Puella. Repeating that cycle. Puella didn’t know why this was, she couldn’t imagine Ira being nervous, she still impressed Puella in her eyes. Back when she was a kid, even now.


“Say, where is that machine? I still need it to shovel coal, it’s gonna be cold tonight,” The Short man said while pulling away and putting his hands on his hips, looking around the room. The even smaller Machine peeked it’s screen from around the corner, looking to see if it was safe. The Machine spotted the Tiny Man and it trotted over. “Master! I’m so glad your safe, is Flicka safe,” The Machine said in it’s robotic, yet worried voice. The Tiny Man walked up and slapped the side of the TV that was the Machine’s head.


“You coward, I thought Filcka Programmed you to fight,” The Tiny Man asked the Machine as if he knew.


“I told you Dad, I tried Programing them to be Smart, but he just ended up being average. So he works around the house,” Said a tough woman’s voice from the staircase. Puella glanced up to see another Short Person at the bottom of the staircase, this Small person was 4’5ft tall, short black hair, and olive skin. Her eyes were black, it was actually quite intimidating. She Marched up to the poor little Machine and swiped off the smut and dirt from off the screen.

Puella was guessing this was the Tiny Man’s Daughter, She could see some resemblance. It was more in the face, but she wasn’t sure why.  


The Man sighed and crossed his arms to face The Dream Lord that was now standing up straight with the help of his cane. “So then, I’m expecting you’d like a reward,” He sighed, almost sad to see his old friend go. The Dream Lord stared at the ground for a long moment, then looked back to the Short man. “I’d like for you and your daughter to Dream City, the guild could your Machines like this. I think I can write up an invitation for you tomorrow and send someone over here to give it to you guys,” He said while stroking his chin with his left hand thoughtfully. The Short man grabbed his braided beard with his right hand and he looked up to The Dream Lord once again.


“Why not, Anything for an old friend. Besides, the Nightmare’s are getting worse these days. I’m worried that they’re Lord of theirs is plotting something, and I wanna keep my daughter and my inventions safe,” He said reaching out his left hand up to The Dream Lord to shake it. Puella Looked back to Filcka, she was brushing off some leaves that were stuck to the sides of The tiny Machine’s head. “So then, I don’t think we need this little fellow anymore. I can give them to you if you want,” Filcka said as she looked up To Puella, with a grim smile. Puella was confused, why would she want to give away the family Machine as quickly as that. Puella would have thought that there would be some sentimental value in this little guy.

“Well, it kinda depends on what he can do,” Puella said while sheathing her short sword.

“Well, he can do manual labor. He can do paperwork and run statistics. He’s pretty good at cleaning so no worried there, other than those. I can’t think of anything,” She replied while crossing her arms and glancing over to the giant Machine.


“Wait, didn’t you say that he wasn’t smart,” Ira said while walking up next to Puella.


“Well, at first I coded it to be amazingly smart. But I ended up only making him have a 4.0 GPA. Which wasn’t enough for what I wanted to make him for, we just had him do chores,” She explained looking up to the tall humanoid.


To Puella, that was pretty smart. Puella Had a somewhat average GPA, It wasn’t amazing, and it wasn’t horrible.


“Alright, we’ll take it. We’re swamped with enough paper work as it is,” Ira sighed as she lifted her Hammer above her head and across her shoulders. The Tiny Machine’s head shot up and looked over to Puella and gave here the same star eyes with with the capital D on it’s curved side. The small Machine almost wattled over and gave Puella a hug, she felt a little electric shock from the embrace. Puella was kind of ‘shocked’ that Machine’s had emotions.


Puella was sitting on the couch back at the house, Ira had bandaging cloth and some medical ointment ready for Puella’s hand. She looked furious, even after what Puella did for her back there. She had a jar of blue ointment with blue and green chunks of plants in the lime green clean slime. She got to fingers on her left hand and held Puella’s hand with the other.


“I can’t even comprehend what you did back there, what the hell were you thinking,” She growled angry as she rubbed the strange ointment on as carefully as possible. The ointment was cold, and after a few seconds the ointment grew pleasantly warm.


“Well, I need to protect my teammates. I can’t just watch them be burned to a crisp,” Puella remarked, raising her dark eyebrows. “


“I could have handled myself, I’m not weak you know,” She argued as she wrapped the white cloth around the in between her thumb, and in between the rest of Puella’s fingers.


“It’s just, I don’t want you to expect to save me every time. Someday you might not be able to save your teammates from danger every time,” Ira said sadly, pulling the cloth towards her and then she tore it off and tied it to the cloth on some cloth on the palm. Her eyes looked up to Puella with a worried look in her eyes.


“Well, hopefully that doesn’t happen.”



© 2018 Grace


Author's Note

Grace
May or may not have gotten some words wrong, not sure though.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
Added on August 18, 2018
Last Updated on August 18, 2018
Tags: #weirdwriting, #adventure, #fantasy, #new, #rad, #LBGT


Author

Grace
Grace

About
I like to write fantasy, weird fiction, and other genres! And I hope to share my stories with you guys, so keep a look out. more..

Writing
Prolauge Prolauge

A Chapter by Grace


The Begining The Begining

A Chapter by Grace