1 - Homecoming

1 - Homecoming

A Chapter by Gaurav Walia

1.

 

Under the night sky, as the trees began to shed their leaves, Ross Denver was making his way to the other side of town to pick up his wife and only son from his mother-in-law’s place where they had stayed for the week while he was in Chicago, working.

As the night filled with aromatic scents rich on these fall nights, he rolled down the front windows.  The light breeze refreshed his senses.  He was tired but equally excited to see his family after such a long time.

For Ross, his wife Eliza, and his son Hamid has been his only family since his mother passed away.  He had never really experienced a father/son relationship because his father had abandoned him and his mother when he was very young. This always kept him deprived of a father’s love and affection and he sometimes struggled with ways to stay connected to his own son. He and Eliza did their best, however, to be the best parents they could be.

 

Eliza was a Muslim girl who caught Ross’s eye on their first day of College.  Their love was just like any other love tale, with of all the up and downs.  Despite the disapproval of her parents, Eliza had decided to follow her heart and give love a try and make this one decision on her own, hoping things worked out. Luckily, it did and she couldn’t have been any happier.

They both had mutual feelings for each other.  After their course of efforts they had their blessings from the almighty and got married.  It was a great day for them.  Eliza left her parents for Ross.  Leaving her maiden name, Rehman, behind, she took his name and became Eliza Denver. To Ross, her sadness was evident, and she never ceased to hope her parents would accept their marriage. Ross knew there was nothing he could have done, he had already put aside his ego to try convincing his in-laws, but they did not even let him in their house.

In spite of her sadness where she ceaselessly hoped for her parents to come and accept them, her sad eyes were noticeable by Ross but there was nothing he could have done.

In his heart he was able to feel the agony that Eliza felt.  He was on a parallel track.  The difference was just that there was no one to accept or reject them from his side of family.

Ross had been the only boy in his family. He grew up in a small town called Clifton in West Virginia with his mother for only friend.  He had no other family or friends to bond with.  This was one of the reasons he cared so much and was so attached to Eliza.

He always tried his best to comfort her in tough times.  His only dream after their marriage was to get settled somewhere where his family would always be safe, both environmentally and physically perhaps which came true…

Ross had a good job as a finance manager in a bank in Clifton where he worked with his wife.  Within few months of their marriage they were blessed with a son whom they named Hamid after Eliza’s father. Life was good.

They were a happy family.  Hamid grew fast and healthy. He was a fun, loving and energetic boy; full of life and caring. His high cheekbones and blue eyes showed his resemblance to his mother, but his snub nose was his father’s. 

They had the perfect family that Ross and Eliza ever imagined.  Hamid was well taken care of by his parents, in spite of being deprived of the love of his grandparents. Eliza counted him the tales of her father Mr. Hamid Qureshi Rehma, how he used to work for social causes like cancer, and dedicated his life to work on other diseases.  She told him about his love and drive for others and his passion that led him to run a non-governmental organization for the children deprived of basic needs. Even though Hamid never got to meet his grandpa, he knew so much about him.  He grew up to the stories of his Grandpa and grandma who worked together as school principals of a junior high school in Ronthe, a small town in the state.

Eliza always had a soft spot for her parents in spite of how inconsiderate they were to her by not even showing up at her wedding. They never even called or tried to know how their daughter was doing. She believed that they had no idea about her life whatsoever. 

They never supported her efforts in trying to create a family of her own. For her, it was sometimes agonizing not knowing their whereabouts.  She spent years without hearing from them.

Hamid never got to know much about her Paternal -grandparents. All Ross told him was that he never knew his father but he had vivid memories about his mother. He resented telling Hamid that she used to work in a hotel as MAID.

That, among other things, were certain things about the past, he felt should remain there.

Hamid turned out to be a bright student and was very kind in nature.  He was always helpful to his mother with whatever she was doing, housework included.

He was also very affectionate, but not really outgoing.  He generally kept to himself and had a fiddling number of friends.

Being the only child, Hamid was spoiled sometimes.  His longing for the love of his grandparents was barely acknowledged until that knock on the door.

It was a normal, quiet day.  Eliza was writing a play for the upcoming show at the drama company she worked for as a screenplay writer. There was no one else in the house since Ross was still at work and Hamid was at school. She completed the last line she was working on before she got the door.

She made her way toward the front door.  She continued downstairs on the wooden stairs among which some stairs chirped with her every step.

The lingering smile on her face quickly faded as she opened the main white wooden door and peered through the net .Her heart began to sink when she saw who stood right before her, someone she hasn’t seen in so many years.


© 2013 Gaurav Walia


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The beginning's very good. I'm liking the character of Ross Denver from this very first chapter. Have to read a lot. There's one small mistake- "His longing for the love of his grandparents was barely ACKNOWLEDGED......." Want to read all of it. Thanks for sharing. :) Good luck.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaurav Walia

10 Years Ago

Typing-error I tell you.. Thank you for your kind review... :D
Ankita

10 Years Ago

Yes of course. I understand. You're welcome. Keep writing. :)



Reviews

The beginning's very good. I'm liking the character of Ross Denver from this very first chapter. Have to read a lot. There's one small mistake- "His longing for the love of his grandparents was barely ACKNOWLEDGED......." Want to read all of it. Thanks for sharing. :) Good luck.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaurav Walia

10 Years Ago

Typing-error I tell you.. Thank you for your kind review... :D
Ankita

10 Years Ago

Yes of course. I understand. You're welcome. Keep writing. :)
She completed the last line she was working on before she got the door.

She made her way toward the front door. She continued downstairs on the wooden stairs among which some stairs chirped with her every step.
The lingering smile on her face quickly faded as she opened the main white wooden door and peered through the net .Her heart began to sink when she saw who stood right before her, someone she hasn’t seen in so many years.

Nice intriguing ending, liked the start :)
best wishes

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaurav Walia

10 Years Ago

Thank u...I appreciate it..
Prritiy

10 Years Ago

welcome :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 3, 2013
Last Updated on November 4, 2013
Tags: a forgotten sin, forgotten sin, gaurav's fiction, forgotten sin chapter 1


Author

Gaurav Walia
Gaurav Walia

Delhi, India



About
I might be just another guy putting his thoughts on a page but not mincing my words, I only tell the unvarnished truth, gulping down the fear, I dive into the expanse of love, hatred, fantasy, blood, .. more..

Writing
LIFE LIFE

A Poem by Gaurav Walia


PSYCHO PSYCHO

A Poem by Gaurav Walia