Chapter Six

Chapter Six

A Chapter by Harriet Styles

The new house was a rather large two level cottage that looked as though it hadn't been lived in for ten years. Long grass had taken over the lawn, and the paint on the front of the house was peeling.
Did he really expect me to live in that?
"This is it kiddo," Dad grinned, "welcome to our new house."
He got out of the car, still smiling from ear to ear. What was he so excited about? I followed him. Dad waved at the movers truck as it approached.
"Right on time," he said.
He put a hand on my shoulder.
"I have a good feeling about this, I really do."

* * *

Dad unlocked the front door excitedly and rushed into the house.
"Isn't this fantastic?" He yelled, looking around at the empty lounge room.
"Not really," I muttered.
He glared at me.
"What is your problem?"
I marched upstairs in case I said something I'd regret later, leaving Dad standing there, speechless.

I had nothing better to do so I decided to explore the house. At the end of the hall, there was a cupboard. I wandered toward it out of pure curiosity. I put a hand on the handle and was about to open the cupboard door when someone stopped me.
"Hey, can you give us a hand with the boxes?" A voice said.
I turned around. It was one of the movers. I didn't feel like helping but I equally didn't feel like arguing. 

So, I followed him downstairs unwillingly with a frown on my face. He placed a heavy box on my outstretched hands. My body sagged with the weight of the box. It was 'labelled delicate stuff for lounge room'. As I placed it carefully next to all the other boxes, I noticed one of them was labelled 'Emma's stuff'.

I looked around me, Dad was deep in conversation with one of the movers so I was alone. As I opened the box, I realised the only thing in it was a small wooden box. As I picked it up, I noticed it was locked.

Suddenly, Dad had finished chatting and came through the front door carrying our lounge (with the help of a mover). Without thinking, I took the wooden box and ran upstairs before Dad could even get through the door.


© 2013 Harriet Styles


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

263 Views
Added on March 18, 2013
Last Updated on April 4, 2013
Previous Versions


Author

Harriet Styles
Harriet Styles

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia



About
My name is Harriet and I am 14 years old (15 in July). I know I am young but I love writing and apparently I am very good for my age (or so I have been told). When I grow up I want to become an author.. more..

Writing
Unlucky Unlucky

A Story by Harriet Styles