Walking the Dog

Walking the Dog

A Story by Crowley
"

Just a few thoughts...always in my humble opinion, never fact.

"

A writer is not a dog walker. A writer’s job is not to grab the reader by the hand and lead them to the land of epiphany, prophecy or even a satisfactory ending. Those are things that will be left to the heart and mind of the reader. A writer’s job is to stand at the far side of the forest and entice the reader in whispers and clicks, shouts and insults and the occasional come-hither whistle. The writer will mark the path with sapphires, Easter eggs and at times steaming piles of dog s**t that beg the reader to move forward and see what lay on the other side.  The moment the writer abandons the honesty they owe to their characters, their beliefs and their readers, is the moment that the reader will turn back in search for familiar ground. They may walk another path where the writer has paid homage to craft and can convince the reader that they too can identify with the things that make us human and inseparable, cunning and cruel, lusty and loving, fearless and frightened. When we realize that the reader has almost no responsibility in this process other than to return again to words and thoughts they find fulfilling, the sooner we can realize as writers, that life does imitate art and that hard work and honesty are the lynchpins to whatever success means to you.


© 2019 Crowley


Author's Note

Crowley
Keep on Writing!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Holly, my beautiful Border Collie/ Springer Spaniel cross is forever stopping and carrying out doggie investigations when I take her for a walk; sensing and analysing the scents and sounds that she takes such delight in interpreting. Metaphorically speaking, the reader will do the same; and whether sapphires or dog poo, 'tis where the words take one, that matters.

Love poetry, but often wished I could write stories; too much of a grasshopper mind unfortunately. :))

Beccy.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Crowley

4 Years Ago

I’ve been writing quite a lot of those I love short shorts. Thank you for sticking up for me!!! I .. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
T
I like the references to guiding the reader through processes understanding that the message sometimes hold meanings not quite understood or taken in a different way as well. Still the story or message needs to be shared and experienced,the thoughts sitting on our shoulders, whispering in our ears saying.....SHARE ME. Loved this!!

Posted 4 Years Ago


never are the words truly more have been more spoken in such a way. I am printing these out and hanging this on my wall. so might read them often. nicely done.

Posted 5 Years Ago


I'm with you all the way. It is the writers job to stir the imagination and invite the reader to walk with us and hopefully: think, feel and share a moment in time.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Crowley

5 Years Ago

For sure!!! Thanks Cherrie!!!
Crowley,
I like the metaphors you use in this piece . . . calling from the other side of the forest. I guess I would agree with you on your thoughts. If a reader liked every writer's work, he/she would go nuts trying to read everything. No. We're tuned to certain voices, certain styles, certain subjects. In a way this makes every writer and reader unique. Thanks for your thoughts.
Tom

Posted 5 Years Ago


Crowley

5 Years Ago

Thank you for reading my whimsy. Always appreciate when you come by!!
kentuck14

5 Years Ago

Oops! Put my reply in Sam's block!!! Too much of a hurry!! Regards.
Yep, that's pretty much how it is. Some will follow us into the world of our making and some won't. Always, I'm very thankful for those who do. Sort of like fishing, I think.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Crowley

5 Years Ago

Good analogy Sam!!! Thanks for the review!!!!
kentuck14

5 Years Ago

you bet! enjoyed the read.
Perfect. Although I think we show the various paths associated with our and our readers supposed experience. I think those who are starting this voyage should read and internalise this superb advice. And perhaps some of us old hacks could do with paying heed. But other than that as I say...

Posted 5 Years Ago


Crowley

5 Years Ago

Thanks!!! Sorry so late in responding!! been off the grid for a bit.
I tried giving up, but the dog wouldn't let me... she seems to enjoy me testing stanza's and paragraphs out on her before posting.... a brilliant post we got here Crowley.... chock full of truths if ya know where to look for em... and true... am off now Brulee needs her run through the woods....... N

Posted 5 Years Ago


Neville

5 Years Ago

no worries, just so long as you are okay... okay :)
Crowley

5 Years Ago

I'm good, thanks.
Neville

5 Years Ago

.............. good to hear :)
This is brilliant & much needed for some of the fledgling writers on this website. My pet peeve is inspirational writing with an approach that seems to say "you should blah-blah-blah" . . . this would be the dog walker I avoid as a reader. Nobody likes being told how they should live. Better to tell a story that inspires someone to evolve in a gradual & organic way. To me, the most important thing is self-honesty . . . makes writing authentic & appealing. Teensy bump: You have one super long complex sentence, the one before the last sentence . . . and the last sentence is long & complex, too. So this clusterfuck is a little hard to plow thru, even tho I totally resonate with every thought you share! If your long sentences are intentional, ignore this . . . (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


barleygirl

5 Years Ago

PS -- LOVE the "walk the dog" analogy & I LOVE your sentiments about honesty!
Crowley

5 Years Ago

There...I do think I fixed it, and you were absolutely spot on. When I get on my verbose high horse,.. read more
Love your thoughts and opinions... always. It is a powerful journey, taking lost words in our minds and creating worlds for others to wander through. Reading your words I found myself smiling, nodding, laughing, and realizing that there is much more to come from you, my friend. Let your whispers rise above the wooded landscapes all around.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Crowley

5 Years Ago

I'll try, the magic has been a bit dry as of late but I'll keep trying!! Thanks Craig!! Hey where do.. read more
An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

May the words flow again soon for you, my friend! I'm just down here in Arkansas, near Eureka Spring.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

460 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 17, 2019
Last Updated on January 28, 2019

Author

Crowley
Crowley

Phoenix, AZ



About
Like to hang out with other writers and see what's what. Have met a lot of good people on this and other sites through the years. Decided to come back and do a little posting and reading. Hit me up i.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic


Long after... Long after...

A Poem by Gee


the keeper the keeper

A Poem by lightsong