Brina - Reason to believe

Brina - Reason to believe

A Chapter by Plagued Monumentally
"

2 days later...

"

    "I told you, you're to look after them," Kalliope said sternly to Brina, not wanting to listen to her whining and objections. 

    "But you told me once I gave them to you, that you would set me free. My debt to you is paid," Brina was on her hands and knees, looking up at Kalliope with hope in her cavernous eyes. She wanted to be free, to finally live her life the way Jason wanted her to. 

    "Your son was brought to justice. You, on the other hand, will never be free. The killers of your dear Jason have been put to rest. You owe me so much more than bringing those fools to me," Kalliope starred down to Brina with inferior written all over her face.

    Brina clenched her jaw, fighting the urge to scream at her and cuss her out until she was blue in the face. "You lied to me," she mumbled. 

    "I let you believe whatever you needed to believe."

    "What am I worth to you now?" Brina lowered her head in submission, looking at the green colored flooring that was wearing out its color. 

    "You are worth nothing to me. And since Jason is gone, you are worth nothing to anyone," the words pierced through Brina's heart like a heartbreak, bringing tears to her eyes. 

    "My dear, don't cry. You had to face the facts sooner or later. You don't believe me?" Kalliope's tone was dry with sardonic venom.

    "I believe you," she took a deep breath and looked at her to see that there was a grin plastered on her pale, porcelain face. 

    "Maddoc?" She hollered, and in came a very tall muscular man with shaggy brown hair and an ancient face of handsome.

    Brina's breath came short as she looked up at the mans face. He was so beautiful, so...pure and innocent. But when he spoke, his voice sounded like years of agony and his eyes proved her right.

    "Yes, sister?" He had a heavy Greek accent that made his words so fluent and perfect.

    "Take Brina and throw her in with the others. I bet they have questions for her that Brina is dying to answer." Kalliope starred down to Brina in dominance, and Brina looked away submissively.

    Strong hands were placed under Brina's armpits, bringing her up with strength and years of working out. She stood up and followed Maddoc out the door, walking down the long corridor filled with pictures and dark hallways. 

    "Where are you taking me?" Brina said, her voice uneven, reminding her of a voice of a little girl.

    "Where do you think I'm taking you?" His voice came out bland and straight forward, but he was still looking forward. 

    "I'm not sure anymore," she looked down to the ground as she walked a little faster, keeping up with the pace of Maddoc.

    "I'm not going to give you any reassurance like you expect of me, but I can tell you that you're not going to be seeing sunlight for the next few days." His voice was daring and perilous. 

    Brina bit down on her lip, chewing extensively on her bottom lip until drawing blood. The iron taste filled her dry mouth. 

    They stopped at a black door, and Maddoc smiled vindictively before drawing keys from his pocket and inserting it into a small keyhole. The door swung open, and in the far corner she saw two teenagers, their scared, pallid, familiar faces starring back at her.

    Kyero and Medea.

    Before she could say anything else, Maddoc pushed her in, and she stumbled forward, sending her on her hands and knees. 

    "I will be back shortly to bring each of you individually so you can wash up, and I expect no objections or whining from you all. And if you dare to escape, you'll surely be killed." He  slammed the door shut, and the only light was the dull light bulb in the middle of the room.

    Brina couldn't look at the two teenagers that she put into this mess. She couldn't even face up to the humiliation of doing it all for nothing. She was a caged animal just like the rest of them. 

    Kyero chuckled softly. "You were the last person I was expecting."

    Brina looked at them cowardly, and saw Medea shaking in the corner. She couldn't blame her, this wasn't a situation she would like to be in; but yet here she was, "I know," she replied.

    "Karma is a b***h, isn't it?" He narrowed his eyes in her direction, obviously still upset about what she did.

    Medea looked at her as well, with hurt and betrayal engraved in her face. "Why did you do this to us?" 

    "I didn't have a choice," she said after a few minutes of silence. 

    "Everyone has a choice. Just like we have the choice to shut you out," Kyero told her.

    "I know. And I won't tell you I'm sorry, because at the time I needed to do what I did. I guess I still don't feel regret, because I got the justice I needed." 

    "And thats why you're in here," Medea said, it sounded more like a statement than a question.

    "Yes," she said anyway.

    They both sighed in harmony.

    "Why did you do it?" Medea asked her evenly, her voice coming out both strong and curious.

    "It was for my son, Jason," she looked down at her hands, they were bony and dry.

    "And where is he now?" Kyero asked.

    "Dead," unwanted moisture strolled down her cheeks, and she immediately wiped them away. 

    They all fell silent.


    An hour or so later, there was a soft knock on the door. In came the same slave that fed Kyero and Medea two days ago. 

    Kizira clasped her hands together and looked directly at Kyero, and smiled. "Come with me," she said directly to him.

    Brina was confused, and glanced over at the slave's appearance. 

    She had long blonde hair that fell evenly on her shoulders. Her eyes were sad and filled with emotional despair, much like her own. And when she got to her arms, she almost gasped in surprise.

    Scratch marks and scabs filled the surface of her pale arms.

    Kyero walked passed Brina, who was sitting in the opposite corner from them.

    "Where are you taking me?" Kyero asked her gently. 

    "Maddoc was suppose to come, but he got me to come instead. He wanted me to take you to Kalliope." She lowered her eyes, and stepped away from the door a little to let him exit. 

    Once he did, Kizira looked at Medea and Brina and gave a small smile before closing the door securely. 

    All that was left to hear was the soft breathing of the two women in the room. Medea looked down at her hands, not knowing what to say or if she should say anything.

    Brina, on the other hand, had so many questions she needed answered. And if she didn't get them soon, she would have to face the answers of her own subconscious. 



© 2011 Plagued Monumentally


Author's Note

Plagued Monumentally
Hopefully you get a little more insight of Brina's character. For some of you that were hoping Brina wasn't a bad guy, well here is part of your answer.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great work! Keep it up!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Nice. I enjoyed this..keep it up.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Irony at its finest. Someone shot themselves in the foot didn't they? Now it's getting interesting.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Cool chapter.
Can't wait to read more now!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Nice penned chapter...

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great chapter. I love the beginning how you step into a conversation that makes you feel like you missed so much. It was great, so great job!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


A amazing chapter. I like the beginning. Brina learning of her fate and her son. Chapter got strong because of the strong description and situations. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


i really like it i can't wait for more

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well, you can definitely spin a yarn. The fact that you are breathing actual life into your characters is a boon to your readers. Whether you love, hate or love to hate a character, it's good to see them as whole entities. "Bad" guys need never be one dimensional. "Good" guys too. It's an easier trap to fall into with the "good" types in a story. Well... I've run into that problem at least. What do I know? I rarely write anything but poetry these days! Still, this is very well done!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Yes I like these dimensions to Brina. Glad she ended up not being totally bad, and I'm suspecting she'll end up a double agent. I have to say though, the writing quality is the lowest I've seen it, which I don't believe at all is a reflection on your actual ability. There's quite a lot of sentences that don't sound great or are cliche. As a result the output is underwhelming, and I have to repeat that the chapters are plugging along much too slowly. There's short bursts of medium action in each chapter but not many thoughts from the main characters or tension building. That being said, the actual plot is gripping and can take so many different avenues, it just needs to be put out more rapidly so the interest is kept.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

557 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 23, 2011
Last Updated on August 23, 2011


Author

Plagued Monumentally
Plagued Monumentally

MS



About
So it's been a couple years since I've been on this site, and lots has changed. Most of my writing is between two to three years difference to the stuff I'm writing now. Please pay attention to the di.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Room 8611 Room 8611

A Poem by Tasha