Invitation

Invitation

A Chapter by emily
"

Ana receives an unexpected request from Edmond

"

 

 

Invitation

 

I wake, gasping his name again, much to my own disgust, to another sunny day. But today I will surely not go to the cove. Perhaps I shall never return there, far too many memories.

I get up eventually. My mind is still a bit foggy from the dream, but I walk to my wardrobe, ready to start what is sure to be yet another dull day, since I shall surely not see Edmond . Lately the confinment of this house has been much less bearable.

Reaching into one of my drawers, I pull out the first thing my hand touches.  I pull it out. The clothing is unfamiliar at first. I do not understand how it came to be in my drawer. Understanding reaches my mind. This is Edmond's shirt, the one I wore yesterday after he left so quickly.

The rage I held inside me come flying back to me. For just a moment, I feel the need to rip it into pieces. But as I begin to pull, I think to myself that Aunt Marian is right, Edmond will surely be gone soon. If he truely is a pirate, he has little to stay here for. This may be all I will have left of him soon. My mind tells me that it does not matter, that I do not want to remember this. But something deep inside me tells me I cannot forget. I do not know why, but to lose my last piece of Edmond would be worse than if he were never here. I battle my own will in my mind.

The decision though is made for me, when I sudden knock on my door frightens me. "Ana, are you awake?" Aunt Marian calls from the other side of the door. I certainly do not want to be caught by my aunt with a man's shirt in my bedroom. I quickly thrust it under my bed and throw on my dressing robe.

"Yes, come in," I call. Aunt Marian steps through my doorway.

"Still in bed," she asks. I nod, hoping I am not too flushed. She continues to stand there, trying to decide if she should excuse my odd behavior. She gives up and addresses me. "Ana, I have decided that, since you have agreed that your relationship with that Edmond is over," she sighs, "you are no longer under punishment."

A brightness I thought I would never feel again rises in me. I feel as though I could jump up and cry from joy. Instead, trying to keep my composure I say, "Oh thank you, Aunt Marian. I assure you, I shall never see him again."

She makes a small approving noise and nods. "Then, if you would not mind, you may accompany me when I off to town today." Again, I almost leap for joy.

"Of course," I cry. "Allow me one moment to dress." She motions me on and walks out the door. I dress quickly and joyfully, almost completely forgetting Edmond for the moment.

On the way down the road, I find it difficult not to prance all the way there. To be free again is wonderful. Aunt Marian occasionally gave me a queer look, probably in response to the huge smile on my face, but otherwise said nothing.

The streets of town are busy as always. Merchants call loudly and sailors, sober or not, wander randomly through the streets. The w****s, whom Aunt Marian scowls at, are happily going at their days work. I strain not to laugh at my aunts dark expression.  

We wander into the general store, of course. It is the most boring store in the entire town. Aunt Marian walks up to the counter and immediately starts bantering with the shop boy, who seems quite intimidated by the large woman yelling at him, about the price of cloth. I know from experience, that it will be at least half of an hour before they reach an agreement. My aunt is still chattering without signs of stopping as I slip away.

I feel strangely satisfied to fill my throat with the dust of the streets again. I wander about; content just to listen to the uneven flow of the sounds around me. As dull as my life at home is, one day in this bustling town can often make up for the suffering I endure.

I stop at a stand to purchase some fish, a gift for Aunt Marian, just in case she realizes I am gone. From the store across the street, I see Roseanne; no longer dressed as w***e, step out into the sunlight. She looks around and, upon seeing me, waves happily and eagerly races over to my side.

"Oh, Ana, I am so glad to see you again. Where have you been, you never did tell me." I sigh. Roseanne is my best friend. I cannot keep the troubles I have endured a secret from her forever.

"It is quite a long story. Come; let us go to the inn. You must sit down to hear this."

Inside the satisfyingly noisy pub, I spill all my secrets. Roseanne listens with wide eyes, only interrupting to gasp, when she heard of the kiss, or giggle, when she heard of the swimming incident. When I finish my tale, she speaks again. "Ana, I do not understand. Why would he help me if he is so cruel to you?"

I shake my head. "I have no more idea than you."

We sit in an awkward silence. Neither of us has anything to say. Soon though, the silence is interrupted by the loud, nearby braying of the innkeeper's wife, Miss Taylor Ewald. She is certainly the largest gossip of the town. Occasionally, it grows tiresome, but today I feel the need to hear what has gone on in the town.

She needs no invitation. She stumbles over, a mug of ale clutched in her meaty hand. "Oh girls," she says merrily, a bit drunk, perhaps, "have you heard? That wealthy, handsome man, Edmond LeDego is throwing a masquerade ball for all the rich folks. Would it not be wonderful to be invited? This town has not seen a ball in nearly twenty years." She put her arm around me, certainly drunk now. "He is a good looking one isn't he? The best this town's ever seen." I stiffen. She does not wait for me to answer but stumbles away.

I look at Roseanne. "Did you know about that?" I ask. She looks sheepishly at me, obviously embarrassed.

"I was about to tell you, but I didn't think it right after all the terrible things you said about him The whole town's been in an uproar ever since he came. The women follow him around like dogs. And now with this ball, well, nothing can stop the gossip now." I sigh. "Come now, Ana, it does not affect you so badly. I know how you wish him to be discovered as such an evil man, but you never have to see him again."

This does not help my gloom, but I do not want to hurt my friend. "Thank you, Roseanne." I forcedly say. "But I must return before Aunt Marian finishes attacking that sales boy." I force a smile. "I will see you soon." She returns an equally unreal smile and I slip out of the bar.

I race through the streets without thinking. Thoughts would only cause pain at this point. I get lucky. Aunt Marian is just finishing with the boy when I slip through the door. I quickly sling the fish, evidence of my small adventure, on to a shelf and go to stand behind her.

Aunt Marian turns once the money is exchanged. "Oh, Ana, I forgot you were here. I am quite finished hear," she throws a sour look at the boy. "if you are ready to leave." I nod and we walk out of the store. I still refuse to think anything as we make our way through the crowds. Instead, I find myself searching for a pair of sea green eyes.

We go on up the hill and enter the house in silence. I go off to my room, knowing I cannot hold the feelings from my conversation with Roseanne back for much longer. I excuse myself to my room. I nearly break into a run down the hall. I plan to cry unnecessary sobs into my pillow, but something else occupies it. The piece of paper, an envelope lies, unopened on my pillow. It is sealed with some unfamiliar crest. I open it. I gasp after reading only the first two words.

 

 

           
Edmond LeDego has cordially invited you to his Masquerade Ball
To be held on October the thirty-first.
Festivities shall begin promptly at six o' clock in the evening and dinner shall be served at seven.
Costume required

 

 

            I stumble against my bed. The only word in my head is: why. Wy would he do this? Why does he bother? Why would I ever go? I turn it over in my hands and realize there is more on the back, hand written in neat script which could only belong to Edmond. I read:

            Since I was kind enough not to search your room, I would much appreciate it if you returned my shirt.

            I fight a strong urge to let out a blood curdling scream. WHY IS HE SO AGRAVATING? I do not think I can stand one more moment in the suspense of balancing between hate and... God knows what else. Not one bit of my mind can think of one, tiny reason for him to invite me. I grip my bedside table in fury, needing to take out my rage on something and needing support to stand up straight. I need to calm down. I try to slow my breathing. I look out to the sea, which was once the only thing which could relax me. But when I look out, I see only the sparkling green, which looks empty without flecks of gold.



© 2009 emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

the note on the back was hilarious.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 22, 2008
Last Updated on January 3, 2009


Author

emily
emily

MN



About
Hello all! My name is Emily, I'm 20, I am definitely not at home in this tiny MN town, and soon I will be the most famous author my generation. I go to Barnes and Noble to see where my book will sit .. more..

Writing
Jim - One (Opener) Jim - One (Opener)

A Chapter by emily