Prepare

Prepare

A Chapter by emily
"

Ana, with help from Roseanne, prepares for Edmond's masked ball

"

Prepare
 
 
 
            I am careful not to say as little as possible, if anything, to Aunt Marian. I can feel the rage rising inside me and I know the anger will burst forth from me soon. But that fury is not meant for my aunt, who has nothing to do with this. I know who to reserve my ferocity for.
            A painful night awaits me. I thrash in my bed, trying to ward off the nightmares, but a pain larger than any dream consumes me. The confusion is nearly unbearable.
            I wish for a silent at breakfast the next morning, but I know I must speak in order for my plan to work, though it is certainly pushing the limits of my freedom.
            "Aunt Marian," I begin, innocently enough, "I was wondering if I could possibly go down to town again today. There was some business I was unable to finish yesterday."
            "What business were you unable to finish?" she asks, clearly unconvinced.
            I search my mind for an excuse. Roseanne's face comes to mind. "I... I wished to visit a friend who was... feeling poorly. I promised her."
I can clearly see my Aunt is torn. She knows I have my freedom again, but it is still against her instinct to trust me. "It would not take long." I add promisingly.
            She sighs. "Very well, you must pick up some bread while you are out, though, and take no more than a few hours. There is much work to be done here."
            I thank her and hurry off with my basket. I had not exactly told a lie. I did plan to see Roseanne. She is surely the only one who can help me now. She always provides good advice in desperate situations such as these, though nothing this dire has ever come up.
            This journey into town does not excite me in nearly the same way. Going to this ball could change my life, for better or worse. Edmond could choose to humiliate me terribly, or the rich could accept me. The first seems much more likely.
            I assume that Roseanne still lives in her small rented complex located in the inn, despite her sudden change in profession. I make it past Miss Ewald’s husband Samuel with little persuasion and go on up the stairs to find Roseanne.
            She is there, knitting, something I have never seen her do. I assume that she has much time to fill these days. "Ana, what a surprise," She says, gleefully standing up. "What brings you here?"
            I let out a ragged breath, still holding back rage. I say each word slowly. "Look at this." I reach into my basket and pull out the invitation. She reads it quickly. When she finishes, her mouth drops into a gape. "He invited you?" she gasps. I can only nod. "But... but...why..." she stutters mindlessly for a moment. I allow it to sink in. After several moments, she regains her composure. "You are going." She announces.
            "What? Why?" This is not the reaction I expected from her. But Roseanne has never been the most level headed of companions.
            "Because," she answers defiantly, "if you do not go he will see you as a coward. And you do not need one more reason for him to mock you, do you." She has a point. I nod. "Good. Now let us go."
            "Where?" I ask, now extremely confused.
            "Well we must get you something to wear, of course. I assume that you have for a formal occasion." She is right. I do not say it, but I have never even been to a formal occasion, and I would much like to have something nicer to wear than my work clothes. I allow her to drag me out the door and on to the streets. Roseanne is very excited to be able to shop about. I join in with the fun.
            Unfortunately, we soon discover that Portown does not hold much to be desired for formal clothing, probably because nothing formal has happened to this town in more than twenty years. But Edmond's ball will attract the wealthy from all the nearby islands, as well as those already in Portown, escaping the frigid English winter. Those will surely have their own fine gowns, so there is still no call for them.
            Eventually, we settle for some mediocre red fabric we find at the general store. I am a decent seamstress and I could probably fashion some kind of acceptable outfit for the occasion. I also pick up the bread, so my aunt is not suspicious. The same shop boy who Aunt Marian frightened works there today. We know he is not likely to tell anyone of what we purchased.
            Roseanne leads me back out into the streets, laughing together at the sheepishness of the shop boy. But we do not go in the direction of her house. "May I ask where we are going?" I complain. I have little time before I must return to my waiting aunt.
            "We must get you cosmetics. I am afraid mine were used for my work and would be far too garish for your occasion." I have never worn cosmetics in my life. I blush at the very thought of it. Aunt Marian has declared anything of the sort the tools of w****s.
            Roseanne knows exactly where to go. A small vendor's cart stands just a small way down the street. I allow her to happily test colors on my face, though I insist on nothing too bright. In the end, we purchase a flowery perfume and a lip color Roseanne says would look lovely with the tone of the dress. They cost very little, not enough for Aunt Marian to notice my decreasing amount of shillings.
            We make our way back to her house, where we will store the items. We talk and joke happily. I cannot remember ever having more fun.
            Then I see a god-like face in the crowd.
            He stands near a cart outside the inn. The green eyes catch me before I can turn away. Edmond looks genuinely happy. His hair is blown back, as if he ran all the way here from his mansion on the hill. The midday heat brings a thin line of sweat to his face, making him seem to sparkle in the sunlight.
            His beauty does not fail to light up the streets. Women passing by pause to watch him. I am sure I see Miss Taylor Ewald stick her head out the dusty window of the inn. Edmond does not notice them. He smiles as he deals with the vendor, no doubt purchasing items for his party. I grab Roseanne's arm, trying to signal her to turn around. But it is too late. He strides towards us calmly.
            "Good day, ladies." he says cheerfully, bowing, slightly dramatically. "What brings you here today?"
            Roseanne seems quite speechless. I hurry to busy myself with a nearby cart, pretending that I was not watching him. "Cannot two women be out on the town without being inquired to about their reasoning?" I say, trying to match his cool tone.
            Edmond laughs quietly. "Yes, but I was merely wondering if you were preparing for some..." he seems to search for a word, "trying occasion, something which would require something new." His eyes fall to my basket. My cheeks burn, he gestures to the item in his own hand. "I, on the other hand, was forced to replace a shirt. I seem to have misplaced it." he eyes me knowingly. "I do hope it is returned to me soon." A small smile which graces his angel face sends me back into the rage of before, but he continues before I can burst. "Well I must be going ladies. I do hope to see you soon." One wink of his sea green eyes and he is gone into the crowd. I am left steaming with something stronger than anger.
            Roseanne stops me before I can say anything. "Good Lord, Ana, if he was not the most aggravating man in the world he would certainly be the most charming." Her cheerful tone and the irony of her words send me into a fit of laughter. She joins is and we laugh all the way upstairs.
            Once inside, we begin to plot. We decide to to keep with the idea that Roseanne is ill, the story I originally gave Aunt Marian. We must keep Roseanne out of the public eye for the six days until the ball. While I am in her home, we will work on preparing me. We will sew my dress, which I pray looks elegant enough. Roseanne will teach me the many dances I have not had the pleasure to learn, which will be exceptionally difficult with my clumsiness. But altogether it seems very simple.
            After a bit of prodding, Aunt Marian seems to believe my story. All is very easily set up. Sleep comes easier tonight. But not even a day spent with a good friend can help me get through the dreams. When morning comes, I still find myself gasping for Edmond.
            The next few days go smoothly. Roseanne somehow forces my feet to go in the right direction while learning the dances. My dress slowly evolves into something mildly elegant. We were able to fashion a bodice, with a corset of Roseanne's which I find completely unpractical. We develop a full skirt which looks dignified enough once we have torn off some trim of one of her dresses. I found, while in town, a cheap, large black ribbon which we will tie around my waist. Roseanne assures me just how stunning I am, but I have difficulty believing that I am enough prepared.
            At last the day of the ball arrives. Once I arrive at Roseanne's home, we send her friend to give a message to Aunt Marian. We have told her that my friend I am caring for is very ill and I must stay the night. We are very satisfied with this lie; it gives me a very good excuse to be gone for so long, though I have no idea how long I will be out tonight.
            After a long day of reviewing for the event, when I am dressed, cosmetics and all, Roseanne pronounces, "Ana, I cannot think of anyone better prepared for this night than you." She gives me a quick embrace and disappears into her bedroom.
            Where are you going?" I call after her.
             She reappears in a moment. "You must have forgotten, Ana, this is a masked ball." She pulls out something from behind her back. A fine clay mask rests in her hands, sparkling in the light. "I bought it in town. I had to paint it gold." She smiles sheepishly.
            I return the smile. "I could not have asked for better, friend and mask. Thank you."
            Roseanne smiles a slightly sad smile. "I have had such fun these days. I wish it could remain this way. As much as you may hate to hear it, Edmond LeDego has caused the happiest time of my life."
            "I will come back, Roseanne, you are my best friend, I could not have done this without you. I would not have had the courage."
            We stand there, saying nothing for a while. Then Roseanne looks out the window. "Good heavens, Ana! The sun is setting. The ball will begin soon, hurry now."
            I rush to the door, looking behind me when I reach it. "I will be back as soon as I am out of the ball, I promise. I will bring every detail." I assure her.
            "Every detail," She repeats with a happy giggle. "Have fun." Roseanne calls after me. I laugh and for a moment, it seems possible.
            As I walkup the dirt road in my fine clothes, I thank the Lord for such a good friend. I continue up the pathway, up the hill to the door of the Schindler Mansion, opening it, ready to meet what may be the rest of my life


 



© 2008 emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 22, 2008
Last Updated on December 23, 2008


Author

emily
emily

MN



About
Hello all! My name is Emily, I'm 20, I am definitely not at home in this tiny MN town, and soon I will be the most famous author my generation. I go to Barnes and Noble to see where my book will sit .. more..

Writing
Jim - One (Opener) Jim - One (Opener)

A Chapter by emily