Confrontation

Confrontation

A Chapter by emily
"

Chapter 4: Edmond and Ana meet face to face again

"

Confrontation

 

            It continues like this for almost two weeks. Every day for many hours I watch the distant ship as it drops boats with chests full of gold into the water. Edmond retrieves them, seeming happier each day. It both lightens my heart and enrages me to see him in such a mood, though I never know why. And every day I cannot tear my eyes away from his soaking body. On the third day, when a boat nearly escapes his reach, he tears off his shirt before diving into the water to retrieve it. I want to turn away, but watching him fight through the harsh waves is exciting for me. I wonder if he is merely showing off, but I am still amused.

            Every night after a long day of watching this bizarre routine, my dreams of Edmond become more and more clear. This morning, as I wake calling his name, just like every other day, remembering the dream frightens me. The kiss, the kiss is all I remember. Lips on mine, burning without pain, stinging without feeling. I kissed back, that is what I am afraid of. I refuse to succumb to these dreams. I have told myself it is hate, this feeling is hate. I promise myself still that he does not have the dominion over my life he wishes to posess.

            But this morning, I have yet another eerily quiet breakfast with Aunt Marian, who has been quite anti-social lately except for the occasional bit of gossip about "that strange man who bought the Schindler Mansion", and go outside to watch Edmond. I am shocked to see that he is not there. A great disappointment grows inside me. I cannot understand why I feel this way. I quickly, bitterly, hang up the laundry and sulk back inside.

            Aunt Marian is doing her washing in the sitting room. She looks up in surprise when I walk in after such a short time. "Done already?" she asks.

            "Not much laundry," I mumble as I slump into the chair.

            "Oh," she says, busying herself. Without looking up again, she speaks to me. "Ana, I know you are still under you punishment." The short, awkward silence which always follows the mention of the kiss commences. "But I really need you to go down to the market today. Portown has been overrun with wealthy people lately; so many families have come this fall. I have been so busy with these new customers; I simply have not had the time to get to the market lately. Madame Welle demands her wash be done tomorrow and the soap order I put in expires today. I must stay here and finish my work. Would you be so kind as to go down and pick it up?"

            The thought of going into town lights up my face. "Of course," I cry. I am up and in my room in seconds, preparing idly for tonight. I want to look very fine for my first night in town. I can hardly contain myself until it is time to go.

            When at last the time comes, I am out the door before Aunt Marian can call me. "I will be back for supper." I call as I walk out the door.

            The gravel of the path crunches merrily under my feet as I half run down the road. I can hear the clamor of town from halfway down the path. Calls of merchants echo in the street, which are brightly lit in the twilight.

            I walk into the general store at the end of the street and pick up the order. On the street outside, I see a familiar, smiling face. Roseanne runs to greet me. "Oh, Ana, where have you been lately? I have the most wonderful news." I try to look excited. Good news could mean a new, well paying "customer", a story I would rather not hear. "A man, some man I do not know, bought me out of my job. Look!" She reaches into her money pouch and pulls out the coins, enough to bring her out of prostitution.

            "I am so very happy for you." I squeal, actually delighted. "How did this happen? Who helped you?"

            "I told you, I do not know. He came into the bar where I was working and took me into the back room. I thought her was just any other customer. But he handed me the money, and asked for nothing in return. He just said something about how mine was not a life anyone should lead. He was very somber, very serious." She seems too overjoyed to realize just how strange and phoney the the act this man put on was. I do not want to spoil this moment for her.

            "Really? I am so sorry I have not been here. Aunt Marian has me locked away again. But that is not important. Come, we must celebrate. Let us go off to the inn." We link arms and head off down the street.

            Inside the crowded, noisy bar of the inn loud music plays and men call out even louder. Roseanne and I order a pint each. We drink and talk happily for some time. After a while, Roseanne sees a friend of hers and exclaims that she must go tell the news. I am left alone at the bar.

            An upbeat song begins to play. Everyone in the inn begins the dance, changing partners quickly as the song goes along. I stand and link arms with the closest person as the dance begins. As my partner abruptly  changes, I dance with Roseanne, another friend, and then a man. The man looks at me. I nearly fall over. Edmond smiles down on me.

            "Miss Divendy, to what do I owe the honor?" he smiles, sarcasitc.

            I switch to Roseannw, "Everyone is so happy for me." She beams.

            Another switch, I link with Edmond. "You could not keep me locked up forever." I answer proudly.

            I go around others and back to Roseanne. "Some one said they saw the man here." She tells me.

            I am forced back to Edmond. "Pity, still, I think you have learned your lesson."

            Back to Roseanne, "have you seen him?" I ask.

            She cannot answer, I am sent back to Edmond. "I have learned no lesson except that which you are a rude, unruly pirate, not the gentleman you make yourself out to be."

            "Yes I have." Roseanne says in answer to my earlier question.

            "You think I have done no good deeds?" Edmond asks when I am with him.

            "Where is he?" I ask Roseanne.

            "Not that I can see," I respond to Edmond.

            "Wait, I see him."

            "What about my introducing you to the feeling of lust by opening your affections to me."

            Stare, my mouth gaping. Only we have stopped dancing. "You think far too involved with yourself. If you merely opened your eyes, you would see that you kissed me because of your affections for me." It is the only reply I can think of that is witty enough, even if I don't believe my own words. It is probably no a good ides to bait him like this, knowing what happened last time, but I cannot stop myself.

            "You think I have affections for you, a lowly common girl?" His eyes blaze, lethal and deadly, as I stare into them.

            "I think you would never admit to it because you are an arrogant son of a b***h."

            We stare at each other, trying to kill one another with glares. "Well, then, perhaps I made a mistake, kissing you. You are clearly no more than an impressionable child who is easily convinced of things which are not true."

            I turn away from him in rage. I grab Roseanne's arm and pull her away. "We are leaving."

            She squirms in my grip. "But Ana, the man, the one who you danced with, he was the one, the one who saved me."



© 2008 emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

this story is amazing
i always look forward to reading it

Posted 14 Years Ago


this one is getting better.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is definitely an interesting story, totally enjoyed reading your work. Welcome to writers cafe.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

232 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 19, 2008
Last Updated on December 23, 2008


Author

emily
emily

MN



About
Hello all! My name is Emily, I'm 20, I am definitely not at home in this tiny MN town, and soon I will be the most famous author my generation. I go to Barnes and Noble to see where my book will sit .. more..

Writing
Jim - One (Opener) Jim - One (Opener)

A Chapter by emily



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 10 Chapter 10

A Chapter by Christine T


Sighting Sighting

A Chapter by emily


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Mitji