B&B-Bunty(Shunty) & Bublee(Blacky) - First meet

B&B-Bunty(Shunty) & Bublee(Blacky) - First meet

A Chapter by JessyJacob
"

First look!

"
Both are traveling in flight, sit side by side. 
Bunty: Hey Hi!
Bublee: Hehe Hi!

Bunty(inside): How she is smiling all teeth out!
Bublee(inside): what is he looking at! 

Bunty: Naa, nothing.
Bublee: Then watch your window!



After 10mins..

Bunty: By the way where you going?

                                

Bublee: America!!!


Bunty: I know that, but for MS?
Bublee: No, Masters in Chemical Engg. And you? MBA?

          

Bunty: No. I am working there? 
Bublee: Nice. 

Plane ready to take off...

Bublee: Its a weird feeling started inside, is it going to take off now? See this is the first time I am traveling in flight, how it will be, will it be scary?

Bunty: Arey yaar! Wait & see, don't worry, it wont be scary. See watch window. 


To be continued.... 
B&B.


© 2022 JessyJacob


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

• Both are traveling in flight, sit side by side.

The problem we face when we elect to “tell” the reader a story is that we know too much. When you read those words you have perfect understanding of the situation. You visualize the two people and the setting. You know their backstory, their destination, and, what’s about to happen. You begin reading, knowing that they’re in an aircraft, and in flight. And because you do, you leave out critical information. And, by including the “graphic novel” illustrations, you make the situation worse. To better understand, look at the words, not as the all-knowing author, but as a reader, who has no context but what the words supply, and requires context as they read, or before.

1. “Both are traveling in flight…”
How can there be a “both” when you’ve introduced no travelers and no setting? This could refer to two birds, two aircraft, or.... When you say, “In flight” the reader assumes that they, not a passenger-plane are flying.

2. “sit side by side.”

So, they’re in a biplane, in 1933…or are pilot and copilot of a 747, or…?

My point is that without context this is meaningless. You, of course, possess full knowledge of them and the situation when you read. And for you, the image you held as you wrote this pops into your mind as the words are read. But no one else can do that. In effect, you’re talking in shorthand, with each line pointing to the images and knowledge already in your head.

But pity the reader. They lack all that foreknowledge. For them, the image held as you wrote this cannot pop into their mind, and so, it can’t work.

You’re focused on events and facts. But readers? As E. L. Doctorow put it: “Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader. Not the fact that it’s raining, but the feeling of being rained upon.” Readers want to feel as if they’re sitting in that plane, not learning that someone they know nothing about is there.

• Bunty(inside): How she is smiling all teeth out!

You cannot make up your own methodology. Readers of fiction expect thoughts to be expressed in the usual format, not as a modification of a script that you invented.

That aside, no human ever had those words appear in their mind. The human reaction would be emotional, not an observation of fact. He might have thought, “Mmm what a pretty smile,” or even something stronger, like, “Wow! I HAVE to get to know her better!"

But then you have her, after greeting him with enthusiasm, wonder what he's looking at? Has she no brain?

You follow that with him replying to what you say is a thought. So she's a mind reader? And she doesn't wonder how he knew her thought?

The short version: They offer degree programs in Commercial Fiction-Writing. Surely at least some of what's taught is necessary. Right? More to the point, the reader is used to seeing the result of using those skills, and will turn away if you spring something unfamiliar on them, because it’s added work to make sense of it, without added reading pleasure to make up for the work.

The solution? Add those missing skills to your toolbox. They’re not a professional secret. In fact, on reading about many of them, your response will be, “But that’s so obvious…how did I not see it for myself?” The library’s fiction-writing section can be a big help. And given where you stand, I’d recommend you begin with Debra Dixon’s, GMC: Goal Motivation & Conflict.

And as for the pictures you include? That’s for children’s books. Here, they’re getting in the way. The first picture tells the reader that they’re children riding on a toy plane, one behind the other, when you day they're side-by-side. So the pictures are unrelated to the actual story.

Sorry my news isn’t better, but since our own writing always works for us, I thought you might want to know.

Jay Greenstein
https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/the-grumpy-old-writing-coach/


Posted 1 Year Ago


JayG

1 Year Ago

• but if you visualise the pictures, you can capture my thoughts,

So...if I look at.. read more
JessyJacob

1 Year Ago

Nice to see your reply again. There is much to learn, I never got that much to spend time in excelli.. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
1 Review
Added on September 5, 2022
Last Updated on September 7, 2022


Author

JessyJacob
JessyJacob

About
A dressed up bride waiting for her man in wedded dress but world will see where that when that wedding happens as she doesn’t know for herself too so she married gets married every day in temple.. more..

Writing