Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by SybilMelton
"

Ari Bennett

"

Every night the recruits had time to relax before lights out, to write to their families or just hang out with each other. They had all showered. I finished the daily progress reports and needed to examine the injuries.

I poked my head out of the office, which was situated by the main entrance. Several groups sat on the floor between the two rows of bunks. A few laid out with paper and pens since no electronic devices were permitted.

"Mason and Bennett. Come to the office."

A hushed "ooo" spread through the group.

Mason showed up first. I shut the door behind him. He stood rigidly with his hands in front, fidgeting.

"Hold out your hands."

His eyes widened. "I...I..." he stuttered.

"Hold out your hands," I repeated sternly.

He reluctantly pulled them out in front of him. I grabbed his hands, pressing down on the bones. He jerked his right hand a little.

"The good news is I don't feel anything broken. But you could still have a fracture." I stepped over to the desk, picked up a chemical ice pack, and tossed it at him. "Keep this on it. I will give you another one in the morning. If it gets worse, you'll have to go to the infirmary."

His posture relaxed as he caught the ice pack.

"Thank you." He left the office with a look of relief on his face.

I held the door and motioned to Ari with my head. I shut the door. I had him alone. But I didn't know how to start the conversation. I focused on the medical supplies cabinet and dug through the boxes for a chest wrap. I did not see the bag.

"You know someone would figure it out and use it to try to knock you down in the rankings," I said. My mouth felt like I had just chewed on saltine crackers. I swallowed hard and tried to force some saliva production. My water was in the back room next to the cot. I wasn't about to go in there.

He did not respond.

"Take your shirt off." I walked past him, avoiding eye contact, and opened another cabinet. There were the supplies I needed. I placed the bag on the desk. He was motionless, mouth open and blinking rapidly. "You hurt your ribs."

He removed his shirt, exposing his well-defined abs. My stomach fluttered. It took all of my willpower not to show what I was feeling.

"How could you tell?" he asked.

"I recognized the same symptoms I had. My foot landed on the Belly Buster log, which rolled and I landed square on my chest."

"Yeah, the same thing happened to me."

I pressed down on his ribs, first on the bruises. 

He winced. "They train you to do this?"

"In order to do this job, yes. So we don't waste the doctor's time." I finished the examination and pulled the compression wrap out. "Use this wrap for now. Put your arms up. Hold here, where my hand is. I'll stop at the clinic for some more."

He picked up his shirt. "Thanks."

"Sure." I sat down at the desk. He still stood there. I looked back over at him. "Do you need me to open the door?"

"Uh, no, sorry..." he answered. His cheeks flushed and he left the room.

I needed to find out eventually if he has told anyone about me. But when was the right time? If anyone found out about my secret, I would have to leave the city, maybe even the territory for good.


***


After a couple of days, the two injuries healed enough to stop being looked at every night. Ari was in the office with me, taking the wrap off for the last time.

"How is your chest?" I asked.

He took a deep breath. "Feels good. No more pain when I breathe."

I looked at the place where the bruises were. "You healed fast. I don't think you need to keep wearing this." I strolled over to the desk, chucked the wrap in the trashcan, and plopped down in the chair.

He pulled his shirt over his head but did not leave. Instead, he sat down on the stool by the desk. "You changed your name."

My heart leaped to my throat. I snapped my head around and studied his face. My chest felt like it would burst. I took a deep breath. I needed to calm down. "Yes, I changed my name. Have you told anyone else?"

"No. I figured there must be a reason. What happened to you? How did you end up here?"

"That is a story for a different time and place." I leaned back in the chair.

"OK. I guess it is too soon to expect your trust."

His words stung like a slap in the face.

"I've always wanted to thank you. For everything you did to help me when were growing up. But I was scared to talk to you."

I looked toward the floor. I hadn't even thought about that.

He took a deep breath and continued. "It was a painful realization that you were the one leaving the food and medicine for me."

I smiled and looked at him again. "I never thought it was enough. No one should grow up like that."

"The same to you."

I stopped smiling. "No point digging up bad memories."

"I am sorry, I did not mean to. I will never forget the day at the bus stop when I returned to school after the measles. A couple of bullies pushed me down and kicked me. Even though you were in the school uniform, you ran down the block and stopped them. I have regretted never saying anything to you. Now is my chance. Thank you, for everything."

I cracked a faint smile. "You're welcome."

"Do you like Charlestown? More than in Knoxville?" His right leg started bouncing up and down.

I do now. I look forward to seeing you every day. "It's not what I expected, definitely nothing like the stories we heard growing up."

"How so?"

"That is another long story."

He looked at me with a pensive expression. "You've become an amazing fighter."

He did not seem to care that I evaded his question.

"I have trained like this every day since I left. My motto, "train as if your life depends on it," came from my teacher." I wanted to change the subject. I did not want to lie to him and I was not ready to reveal all. "Which branch do you want to join?"

"I'm not sure yet."

"Can I give you some advice?"

"Of course."

"SIS may not offer you the most at first, but the job will be more rewarding. Once you pass the next training level, they offer the best advancement opportunities. And their leaders treat everyone fairly, regardless of where you are from, as long as you perform well."

"What do you do?"

"Police Force. Honestly, because they offered a promotion opportunity to Lieutenant after a year since they wanted me in HEAT."

"You don't like it?"

"Not as much as I used to. It's job. A well paying job, so I guess I can't complain."

"That's too bad. You cannot switch?"

"I could put in for a transfer. But I don't know what else to do." I paused and pulled in a deep breath. "During evaluation week you'll be given an intelligence test. You need a score of at least 90 for SIS to consider you. They will also be looking for attention to detail and awareness to your surroundings, while Police Force needs team players. The soldiers just need to be able to follow orders. Everyone gets an offer from the Army."

A knock thumped on the door. Both of our heads turned.

"Come in," I said.

Hughes came through the door, with a confused, inquisitive look. It was his night to sleep in the dorm.

"Is everything OK?" he asked.

Ari jumped up. "Everything's good. Thanks for the advice Lieutenant." He left the office.

Perfect timing, Hughes.

"Advice? About what?" Hughes inquired.

"About which branch to choose. We are coming up on that point pretty soon."

"Yeah, you're right."

I patted a binder on the desk. "Nothing noteworthy for the turnover. The binder is updated."

"Lights out!" I yelled and turned the lights off.

The recruits scrambled into bed. In the commotion, a voice softly rang out. "Will you tuck me in?"

I flicked the lights back on. Weeks went by without any incidents. Who was it this time? They would all pay.

"Everyone back up." Groans spread throughout the room as they filed to the end of the bunks. "I thought we were past the smart a*s remarks. Push up position."

To my surprise, Ward stumbled into the middle of the aisle.

"So I take are you the culprit. I guess your teammates are getting tired of being punished for your big mouth. OK, then. Ward is the only one required to do push-ups. Everyone else can watch."

His mouth opened but did not argue. In the distance, I saw someone else drop into push-up position. After a couple steps, it was Ari.

"Bennett, what are you doing?"

"Ward is my teammate. If one teammate is to blame, we are all guilty. He should not be the only one punished," he called out from his position.

One by one, the other recruits followed suit. I did not know what to think. I could not believe the profound effect his words had on the other young men.

"All right, everyone together. Count it out." I dropped down in front of Ward. "Down."

"One," they shouted in unison.

"Down," I said.

"Two."

At fifty, Ward struggled.

"Come on Ward; don't crap out on me now." I was not breaking a sweat yet.

At a hundred, Ward had a pool of sweat under his face. He barely kept his arms straight. I was still going strong but stopped, after all, I had made my point.

"OK, stop. I want you to remember this the next time you get the urge to be disrespectful. There is a reason why I do this job. No one can keep up with me. Next time we will continue until I am tired. Got that?"

"Y...yes ma'am," he managed to get out.

"Everyone clean up and go to sleep."

I got to my feet and looked in Ari's direction. He was getting up gingerly, but despite being tired, he had done all of them. A wave of satisfaction filled me as I turned to leave, careful not to make eye contact with anyone. I turned off the lights and left the dorm. Ari Bennett. He kept surprising me. What was I going to do about him? 



© 2016 SybilMelton


Author's Note

SybilMelton
They finally speak. At this point in the story, what do you think of them?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on June 2, 2016
Last Updated on November 1, 2016


Author

SybilMelton
SybilMelton

Chesapeake, VA



About
I have just started writing, but I have loved reading since I learned how. I hope to find and connect with people with similar interests and need similar help. I am looking for constructive criticis.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by SybilMelton


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by SybilMelton