Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

A Chapter by SybilMelton
"

Christmas Eve

"

Time flew by and Christmas Eve arrived. I showed up early to get ready with the girls. Katelyn curled my hair. I helped the older girls put on natural colored makeup before I did mine. I wore a shimmery golden champagne silk dress. Thin lace decorated the top, above a sequined belt. The bottom flowed gracefully down to my ankles, above matching strappy sandals. Right at six, Katelyn, Nora, and I descended the stairs.

Ari stood in the sea of the younger boys and girls, who took turns decorating the tree. I walked to him and wrapped my arms around him. He almost jumped out of his skin.

"I'm happy you're here," I said. "Merry Christmas."

"Uh, yeah, Merry Christmas." He turned and hugged me back.

"Let's go eat. I am starving. Come on everyone. You can finish this later," I said.

After a few dissatisfied grunts, the kids filed into the kitchen for an enormous feast. After dinner, Katelyn and I cleaned up. I could not help the by-product of my upbringing. Katelyn was the same way. She was a girl after my own heart. Everyone else completed the tree decorations.

When we finished the front room was a bustle of activity. A couple kids laid out on the couches, holding their full bellies. Ari stood in the doorway at the other end of the room. He was deep in conversation with Fran. Now, what? Fran walked away and he had a faraway look in his eyes. I made my way over to him.

"Are you OK?" I asked.

I startled him again.

He combed his fingers through his hair. "Yeah. Just lost in my thoughts."

"Alright. Well, I am going to put them to bed. The little ones like to have stories read to them. Fran has probably had a little much wine already." I shrugged. "Not that it bothers me. One of the only nights she has help." I touched his arm and smiled. "I'll be back down shortly."

Fran clumsily started a fire in the fireplace.

"I'll go help Fran."

"Alright! All kids upstairs," I announced. Disappointed cries filled the room."Well, I guess I will have to keep the gifts for myself if you do not listen."

They knew I fibbed, but they scurried upstairs, nonetheless. I had to read three stories before the little ones fell asleep. Then I changed into some comfortable clothes and headed downstairs. First, I stopped in the kitchen and grabbed two glasses of eggnog.

Ari relaxed close to the fireplace, lost in thought again. I wondered what could be on his mind.

"Are you sure nothing is wrong?" I asked.

He straightened up. "Yeah, I am good. Just thinking."

I handed him a glass. "Do you like eggnog? Fran does a pretty good job."

He took a glass and tasted the sweet drink. I sat on the cushion next to him, so close that our legs were touching. A flash of warmth spread through my body.

"My mind is reeling about what happened to you," he admitted.

I leaned back into the couch and stared into the fire. "Hopefully, it will not last."

"How long will that take?"

"I have no idea. We're in uncharted territory. No one has ever spoken out against the city council to my knowledge."

"I see. I have also been contemplating the lemon reaction."

I glanced at his face. The fire reflected in his eyes. My heart pounded. I did not want to talk about such things, but I did want to let him know what I discovered. "I heard the other day that it is speculated to be a drug."

"A drug? For what?"

"Not sure yet. There's a factory on the north-east side of town. Supposedly that is where they make it."

He sighed. "Great. Well, you were right. This place is nothing like what I expected."

I slid closer and interlocked my fingers within his. "Do you remember waiting for Santa Claus when you were a kid? He is too pagan for this city."

"Yeah, someone told me. Santa made Christmas so much more fun."

"I was young when I learned the truth, six or so. My parents made me wrap my brothers' presents and told me I would not get what I asked for."

"That's horrible. I was at least eight when my father crushed my dreams of getting a new bike." He stopped and cleared his throat. "So is the world like? Outside of this territory."

The sudden change of subject left me speechless for a moment. "Did you learn about the trade routes yet?"

"I read the study material. I was surprised to learn about the open routes to the north and the south, as well as ships that come into Charleston."

"Yep. Everyone loves the Virginian tobacco. Well, there are trains which take you out west past another mountain range. From there to the ocean is Yabacon Valley." I sipped my drink. "Yabacon Valley is technology-centric. That is where the dance music came from. This territory is so far behind technologically. The cities stay lit all day long. You need to pull the shades and cover your face to sleep in darkness."

"That is hard to imagine."

"You have to witness it for yourself. The things they do can be unbelievable."

"Like what?"

"Nanotechnology treats disease and repairs the body. You will not contract the Revelation Virus because the medical nano-machines eradicated it."

"That makes sense."

"Virtual reality is more than just games and you do not need bulky headsets with special lenses. For some people, it is the only reality. They hook up their bodies to machines to provide essential nutrients so they never disconnect."

Faintly, the Church bells chimed 10 o'clock outside.

"That is amazing. Maybe we can go together some day," he said.

I lounged back and stared up at the ceiling. "I'd like that."

"Why didn't you stay there? Why come back here?"

"There was nothing for me. Truthfully, I thought I had a better shot starting over here. It was not an easy decision, by any means."

"I am glad you are here."

"Thanks. I am glad to be here with you."

He rubbed my arm lightly and a rush of heat flowed through my body. "What's this scar on your elbow from?"

My heart stopped. I wished I had worn a long sleeve shirt. "Honestly, that is something I am not ready to talk about yet," I replied. I wanted to tell him about the cyber implants, but I didn't want to open that box yet.

"I did not mean to pry."

I dodged his question, but once again, he didn't seem to mind. I was not sure how long he would be satisfied without an answer. We sat staring into the fire for what seemed like an eternity.

"You looked beautiful tonight. Well, you're always beautiful," he stammered.

My face flushed. I squeezed his clammy hand.

"You are the most beautiful woman... I am sorry... I am so nervous," he said.

I placed my other hand over his. "Thank you."

I slid closer to him; my arms fell across his legs. He turned my head toward his. My body ached in anticipation.

THUMP, THUMP, THUD.

We both leaped to our feet. At the bottom of the stairs, we caught a glimpse of Dean and Drew, the twin five-year-old boys. I deduced they tried to sneak downstairs and slipped.

"Let's bring everything up before it gets too late. I doubt they'll try to sneak down again," I said.

Ari nodded in agreement. Quietly and quickly, we brought everything from the basement and arranged the gifts around the tree.

"I'll go up and make sure they stay down for the night," Ari said.

"Good idea." I had hoped we could be alone a little longer.

He pulled me in and kissed my forehead. "Well, good night."

"Good night, see you in the morning."

My eyes followed him up then I plopped back down on the couch to enjoy the warmth of the fire a little longer. Noises rang out in the kitchen. The light came on and shone under the door. I raced to the door and pushed it open. Fran stood next to the desk by the basement door, rubbing her left knee. I assumed some kids slipped downstairs again.

"Oh, good, you're still up," Fran said.

"What are you doing? It's late."

"I'm sorry, I overheard you say something about the factory. I wasn't trying to be nosy." She turned back to the desk and resumed removing the items out of the lowest drawer.

I tiptoed to her. "Do you know something about it?"

With the drawer empty, she reached in. I watched her pop up the bottom and pluck a book out.

"You could say that. I've never told anyone about this. But I was a pharmaceutical researcher."

I gasped.

"Yes, researching the drug you've learned about." She held out the notebook. "This is my research journal. I created a counter-drug. After Uncle Charles caught wind of the testing on myself, I was fired and this is the only job I could land. Sometimes I wonder why I'm still alive, but I guess my grandmother being Charles Payne's sister is worth something."

I clasped the notebook and stared at the cracked black cover. Discombobulated thoughts swam through my head. "Why are you telling me this?" My voice was dry and cracked.

"I have never known what to do with this information. Maybe you can use put it to good use." She placed a hand on my arm, snapping me out of my daze. I looked at her round face.

"You're smart. You're strong. Things can't go on like this forever." She patted my arm and headed toward the stairs.

"Fran?"

"Yes, dear."

"I'm not actually an Andrews. I'm..."

"Yes, I know," she interrupted. "I was acquainted with quite a few of them in my time. Your name is not what is important."

The lights went out and I listened to her shuffle up the stairs. After a few minutes, I pulled myself together and went into the other room and began deciphering her notes. Around midnight, with the book tucked in my bag, I tried to sleep, but it was difficult with images of Fran's journal and secret factories dancing in my head.



© 2016 SybilMelton


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on June 6, 2016
Last Updated on November 1, 2016


Author

SybilMelton
SybilMelton

Chesapeake, VA



About
I have just started writing, but I have loved reading since I learned how. I hope to find and connect with people with similar interests and need similar help. I am looking for constructive criticis.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by SybilMelton


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by SybilMelton