Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

A Chapter by SybilMelton
"

The meeting

"

The Charlestown Capital building was across the street from headquarters. The building loomed like a monster waiting with its jaws open, ready to swallow anyone daring to go inside. It was a brilliant white marble building, built the year after the Virus with materials scavenged from the abandoned cities. Columns stretched up two stories with a balcony on top. The mayor used it to address the city on occasion. I squinted in the sunlight reflected off the stairs.

The city leaders compromised of Children of God church members, with a few exceptions made for the Peacekeeper agencies.  It wasn't like the Chief to throw me into anything without some background. I didn't like that I didn't know what to expect. 

The tinted automatic sliding doors opened as I approached. A blast of heat hit my body. A light prickling rippled over my arms and legs. Once inside, I stopped for a moment and brushed some dirt off my freshly polished shoes with a napkin from my pocket. I straightened up and turned around to look at my reflection in the glass door. Not a hair out of place. I straightened my immaculate uniform.

After a deep breath, I turned around and surveyed the dark gray marble lobby. In the middle of the floor was a seven-pointed star of light gray marble. The same star decorated the far wall, but with an inscription. "For with God, nothing shall be impossible. Luke 1:37." I walked around the semi-circle receptionist desk, manned by a single bespectacled woman chatting on the phone, to follow the crowd heading down the hall to the right.

Paintings depicting Bible scenes lined the hall. I stopped for a moment at Noah's ark and marveled at the level of detail for the animals. Whispers emanated from a group six feet to my left. My ears burned. Ignore it, I told myself. I stared straight ahead when I continued walking. Several other groups stopped talking as I walked by. I should have been accustomed to it over the past couple years, being only 21 years old, the youngest and only female command staff member.

The assembly hall seated 300 people in amphitheater style seating. The door opened at the top of the room. The seats were the same color as the dark wood trim, cushioned with dark brown leather. A dark red carpet covered the floor from wall to wall. A long table stretched across the bottom of the room, with twelve seats. The same star I saw in the lobby decorated the back wall behind the table. A large podium stood in the center, facing the panel table.

A couple of groups congregated together inside. I spotted Chief Smith and Deputy Chief Donavan down the stairs to my right. To my left were SIS agents, including Brent. To my chagrin, he instantly saw me and walked, almost skipped, over to me.

"Hello there beautiful," Brent said.

I rolled my eyes then faked a smile. "Why do you do that in public?" It is bad enough I have to deal with it in the office. "It's not professional."

He put his hands up. "Just trying to be cordial. It is nice to see you again."

I scanned the room. No one seemed to be watching. "I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea."

His fingers rubbed across my neck as his arm slid around my shoulders. My body stiffened.

He spoke into my ear in a soft voice. "But maybe I do. I still want to take you out. I guarantee your life would take a turn for a better."

My skin crawled. I tried to step away from him. "How many times do I need to repeat myself? Not interested."

"Have it your way," he said in a flat voice.

Brent turned his head and then exhaled noisily. His arm loosened. I looked in that direction and let out a breath of relief. The Deputy Chief walked toward us.

"Well, talk to you later." He put his hand on my shoulder and squeezed as he walked by. A shudder moved down my spine.

"I wish he would leave me alone," I muttered under my breath.

Donavan slapped me on the arm. "Good luck with that. Let's sit down, our section is over there."

A gray-haired man came in from the door in the far corner of the assembly room as they arrived at their designated seats. He walked to the center of the panel table and spoke into the microphone.

"If you would all please take your seats."

The chatter ceased and everyone filed into the assigned sections. I sat between the Chief and Donavan. More men filed in from the far door. I recognized the mayor, but none of the others.

"Who is that in the wheelchair?" I whispered to Donavan.

"You don't know? He's the city founder, Dr. Charles Payne."

"I thought he was only the university dean."

"He is always here, making sure the decisions made are a part of God's plan."

I opened my mouth to say something else but decided against it. I wanted to say that was ridiculous, but I knew better than to speak ill of the Church or of him. The University dean and prominent Church member Charles Payne foretold the calamity. After the outbreak, he instructed the remaining people to construct borders, north of Philadelphia to the Appalachians and south of Charleston, South Carolina running northwest to the mountains just below Knoxville, Tennessee. The railways and roads destroyed to protect the remaining citizens in what Charles called, God's Territory. Charlestown, formerly Roanoke, became the territory's capital. At least half of the city's citizens belong to the Church and certainly had a better quality of life, from housing and jobs to food and clothing. The sparse population could not sustain life in most of the cities.

One by one, men walked up to the podium and provided boring reports about production projections and performance. During the technology division report, I touched the scars on my elbows. Their technology was light years behind the people out west. The scars were from my cyber-enhancement surgery, something unheard of in God's territory. Sometimes I wished I could activate them, to show them how far behind they all were. However, it would require my cyber-band, which I did not have anymore.

The Peacekeepers reported last. Chief Smith detailed the crime rates in every city. Charlestown was the lowest, as expected from God's city. The General reported nothing unusual at the borders. Finally, Brent Williams went to the microphone for SIS. Strange, it was not the Director. The mayor asked about the status of the rebellion.

What rebellion? I glanced at Donavan, who watched with a furrowed brow.

"Several witnesses swear to Knoxville mayor Wyatt Campbell's dealings with rebels. Rumors of secret meetings with groups of people in the mountains are running rampant and he has been speaking out against the Church in the factory union meetings. We suspect they may be working on a plot to start demanding more money in exchange for their products."

"Blasphemy," Charles Payne said.

I remembered Wyatt Campbell from growing up in Knoxville; he definitely would not have done those things. It could not have changed so drastically in past couple years. What was going on?

Brent continued. "Fights break out in the streets as a result. Soon, my agents catch him red-handed for conspiring against Charlestown. Once we do, we will depose him immediately and send the Charlestown representative to Knoxville."

"What about the other cities?" Charles asked.

"At this time, it is still speculation that they are all working together, but we are working non-stop to get the concrete facts. We theorize they will unify and force our hand."

I shifted in my seat and pressed my lips together.

Donavan leaned over and whispered, "What's wrong?"

"This is ridiculous. Wyatt Campbell loves this city even though he cannot live here. He would be a member of the Church if they let him. Why are they making up lies about him?"

"Watch it. SIS reports their findings and the council decides what is best."

"No, they're wrong."

A thunderous voice boomed from the speakers. "Is there a problem back there?"

We snapped our heads toward the front of the room. Everyone in the hall stared at us, just as Chief Smith arrived back at his seat.

"You are embarrassing the Police Force. Keep your mouth shut," he said.

Donavan rose to his feet. "No sir, no problem. I apologize if the meeting was disrupted."

No one else dared to say anything. Why are they all taking everything he saying without question?

"Lieutenant Andrews, would you like to add to the discussion?" Brent asked.

Something inside me snapped. He wanted to know what I thought. I shot to my feet. "Captain Williams, the citizens of Knoxville are NOT going to be OK with their elected representative replaced by someone here. If you want the fighting to stop, perhaps you should listen to them. Unless having disgruntled cities throughout the territory is what you are looking for."

"Why would we do that? We are trying to prevent a conflict and protect Charlestown's interests. Are you implying that my agents provide false reports?"

"Everything I've heard about Wyatt Campbell is that he is a pious man and would not do what you are accusing him of," I replied.

Charles Payne spoke up. "My dear, you must be new to the meetings. We are simply gathering evidence to build the case."

A maniacal grin formed on his face. My pulse quickened and I broke out in a cold sweat. Brent had turned away and stared forward. Since I changed my identity, no one knew I grew up in Knoxville. For some reason, they wanted me to speak out and I walked right into their trap. Why didn’t I keep my mouth shut until after the meeting? Chief Smith jumped up and grabbed my arm.

"Let's go. Now," he said.

He pulled me into the hallway.

"We will discuss the repercussions of your actions tomorrow. Don't go back to the office, just... go home for the day."

May I should start the arrangements to leave the city, after a career-ending outburst like that. I did not argue and went home. How could I let Brent goad me into lashing out like that? I should have known better. I had time to think about what to do. At least I had something to look forward to that night. 



© 2016 SybilMelton


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on June 6, 2016
Last Updated on November 1, 2016


Author

SybilMelton
SybilMelton

Chesapeake, VA



About
I have just started writing, but I have loved reading since I learned how. I hope to find and connect with people with similar interests and need similar help. I am looking for constructive criticis.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by SybilMelton


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by SybilMelton