Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

A Chapter by SybilMelton
"

orphanage

"

Twenty minutes later, we came upon the orphanage. The property backed up to a mountain with a fence around three sides. The gate to the property was hard to open and generated ear-piercing squeaks. An illegible sign swung wildly as if to fall any second.

"How did you start volunteering here?" Ari asked as we walked up to the door.

"When I first started with the Police Force, I did a short tour on the beats to learn about the city and responded to a shoplifting call. I accompanied him home and realized how much help Fran needed. She is alone with 12 children to take care of. Church volunteers come once a month, but it is not enough. They are a handful." I opened the door. As if on cue, two boys rushed down the stairs to the right and past the door, almost knocking me back into the faded yellow wallpaper.

A double doorway to the left revealed a large room with couches on every wall. Two little boys and a girl were jumping on the cushions. When they saw me walk in, they plopped down without saying a word. The two boys who had been running stopped and almost ran into me a second time.

I put my hands on my hips. "Why are you running in the house?"

They did not answer. The shock was not because of me. Their eyes were fixated on Ari.

Fran waddled down the stairs. Her gray hair was a ragged bird's nest. A stained apron hung lazily around her neck, covering her flowery blue dress. "Thank goodness you made it! They have all been a bundle of energy knowing you were coming."

"Apparently, that is why you two are running in the house, Maddox and Ralph," I said.

"Sorry," they said in unison and tiptoed backward.

"Fran, this is Ari Bennett. He just graduated recruit training today. Ari, Fran, the caretaker of this...institution."

"Oh, hello! I am happy to meet you," Fran said excitedly. She turned to me. "The older ones are working on homework until dinner. I can keep an eye on the little ones until you're done."

"Thanks. The kitchen is this way," I motioned to Ari as I started down the hall.

"I don't know how to cook," Ari said.

"You don't need to know how. But I can still use your help."

His eyes brightened. "OK."

The beautiful kitchen was a sight to behold. It did not belong in the run down house, with granite counters, a large cooktop with a grill in the center, and a fancy stainless steel hood. Large windows on either side provided a view of the backyard. A large table with benches on either side was in the middle. I put the bag on the table and walked to the sink. We both washed our hands. I brushed up against him when I reached for a towel. Our eyes met for a moment and I smiled. Then I walked over to the cornucopia of food that waited next to the stove. I picked out a bunch of vegetables, carried them to a cutting board, and showed Ari how to cut them up.

"Who taught you how to cook this? I've never heard of stir-fry," Ari asked.

I stiffened a little. "Um, Alex's brother. They do not talk to each other, which is why he was so excited."

"He was someone you traveled with?"

"Yes, we don't need to talk about that, though." I did not want any more difficult explanations. Nor did I want to lash out at him again.

"I don't want you to think that I don't believe you. Honestly, I cannot think of why you would lie to me."

I glanced at him. He looked sincere but obviously nervous as he fidgeted with his hands.

"What made you come to this city?"

I took two large sauté pans and a Dutch oven from above the table and placed them on the cook top. A quiet whoosh sounded as the gas ignited. "The group disbanded suddenly with no explanation. I could not think of where else to go. I definitely could not go back to my family. I thought maybe I would find the good life here as a Peacekeeper." I added oil to the sauté pans and filled the Dutch oven with water. "But like I told you before, things aren't what I expected. I just don't think the good life I pictured actually exists."

"Do you regret coming here?"

"No, I enjoy my time here with these kids. They make it worthwhile."

He brought the cutting board of vegetables over to me. "Are these OK?"

"Wonderful. Thank you. You can put it down there for now. Can you find the grater in the drawer in front of you?" He pulled the drawer open with a puzzled look on his face. "It is stainless steel with little holes all over."

He picked up what he thought I described.

I smiled. "Yes. I guess I need to get you in here more often."

The smell of the food cooking brought in stragglers. Everyone ran over and hugged me before sitting down.

"Hey there, tough guy," I said to Blake when I spotted him walk down the stairs.

"Who is that?" Blake demanded.

"Blake, be polite. This is Ari. He's a friend of mine."

"Just a friend?" Blake eyed him cautiously.

I ignored his question. "I think you'll like him. Starting tomorrow he will play soccer for SIS."

Blake's face lit up for a moment. "That's cool," he said as he slid onto the bench surrounding the table. "What position do you play?"

Ari sat down across from him and they chatted.

I was nervous talking about my past. There was no going back since I started telling him the truth. However, I needed to tell him much more and did not want to scare him off. Behind me, the kitchen door opened and Fran's voice sang out.

"Whose turn to set the table?"

I turned around to observe what transpired. Katelyn, the oldest at age 13, jumped up. She stopped when she got to Blake and grabbed his ear.

"Hey, I am talking!" he squealed.

"You can keep talking while you help me," she replied.

One by one, Fran and I went around filling the plates. Excited chatter permeated the kitchen throughout the meal. I conversed with the children about school and made sure they behaved for Fran for the last few months. When they were finished, the younger ones went upstairs. Blake and Katelyn stayed back to help clean up.

Fran offered Ari and me some coffee. "Don't worry, my water is safe," she said under her breath.

My body stiffened and stared at Fran wide-eyed. Did she really just say that?

"Oh, I am sorry, you haven't talked about that yet," she said and walked over to the coffee maker.

Ari looked at me. I had to explain now.

"I have a sensitive stomach. I got sick drinking the water in the mess hall and the city's dark ale. Both times, I vomited all over the floor."

Ari raised his eyebrows. "Wow."

That was the reception I expected. I hoped to let Ari know that information bits at a time after he witnessed some of it firsthand.

Thankfully, Fran came back and changed the subject, asking Ari about himself.

The kids finished cleaning up. Blake stopped in front of Ari. "You want to come see our room? We have a soccer simulator so you can show us what you got."

Ari's eyes flitted to me. "Sure."

"This way."

"Hang on a minute, Blake," I said. He froze. "Come here."

He froze momentarily and then turned to face me. "It wasn't me. I mean, it wasn't my fault. I didn't do it."

My mouth dropped. I strolled up to him. "What are you talking about? You are the only one who didn't give me hug yet. You think you're going to get off that easy?" I put him in a headlock and roughed up his hair.

"Hey, stop!" he shrieked, pushing on my arms to get loose.

I stopped but didn't let go yet. "OK, calm down before you hurt yourself."

He stopped squirming and I let go. Immediately, he tried to fix his hair. "Not cool."

Blake hopped to the stairs, two at a time. I smiled as I watched Ari follow him up. Blake did not always like people.

I turned to Fran. "So what's on the agenda?"

"I'm a little behind on laundry."

I wanted to groan. Something told me she fell behind knowing I would be there. But I didn't complain. I followed her down to the laundry room and started folding.

"So how's work?" Fran inquired.

"Fine."

"You're not happy."

"I cannot complain. It pays well."

"You're working in a man's world, dear. I was a researcher at the University when I was younger. Don't think I don't know what you're going through."

My jaw dropped. "You never told me that."

"There are a lot of things we have yet to discuss."

What did that mean? I shrugged. "Without it, I wouldn't be able to afford the Christmas gifts. Next year they will probably ask for a helicopter."

"It is OK for you to do something for yourself. We'll get by. We always do. Now, what about Ari?"

I felt the blood rush to my face. "What about him?"

"He seems like a nice young man. He's not from here, is he?"

"No. I knew him when we were kids."

Footsteps thundered and shook the house, followed by yelling and crying.

"Oh, I had better go find out what that was." She raced up the stairs.

She was right. I didn't like my job. But I couldn't just quit. I still wanted to improve city life for everyone. It was better than I when I first arrived, but far from good.

At eight o'clock, I filled up the basket for the final time and headed upstairs to the girls' room. Katelyn and Melody sat side by side at the desk, hunched over, working diligently. Melody gave me a little wave when I walked in, but Katelyn zoned into her notebook. I put the clothes away and peeked over her shoulder. She was doodling, not studying.

"Who's Duke?" I questioned.

Her chair crashed into my legs when she jumped to her feet. I cried out in pain. Quickly, she closed the notebook and hugged it to her chest.

"Duke Donavan. He's so hot," Melody said melodramatically. "Or at least that is what Katelyn says."

Red rose from her neck. "Shut up, Melody."

"You don't need to be embarrassed. I think I know his father."

"You do? Oh my God, don't say anything. To Blake either."

"Blake?"

"He's one of Blake's best friends," Melody said.

"The 'friends' who are always getting him into trouble?"

"No. Not Duke. It's Andy that is the trouble maker.”

"Well, don't worry. I wouldn't do that to you."

"It doesn't matter anyway. He likes that air-head Amy Payne."

I grimaced. Poor girl probably didn't stand a chance against a Payne. I gave her an open-ended hug.

"If he's smart, he'll figure out how wonderful you are. Don't give up hope."

"Yeah, thanks."

I walked over to Melody. "What are you working on?"

"Long division." She huffed as her eyes flitted to Katelyn. "If I had a calculator, they'd let me use it."

Katelyn sat on her bed, still clutching the notebook. "I told you I'm sorry. I forgot it at school."

"I'll try to remember to pick one up for the next time I come over."

Her eyes lit up. "Really?"

"Of course. You need your own."

The other two girls came in the room. Ava carried a storybook.

"What do you have there?"

"Cinderella. Can you read it to me?"

I glanced at my watch. "I wish I could. I need to leave soon so I don't miss curfew. Next time, for sure."

"Okay..."

"Come on, Ava. I'll read it to you," Katelyn said.

Ava squealed in delight and rushed over to Katelyn's bed.

I brought the basket downstairs and saw Ari and Fran talking in the front room. Now, what was she saying?

"What are you doing for Christmas then?" Fran asked.

My heart leaped to my throat.

"Nothing. I'm not welcome in Knoxville anymore."

"You should come here. We all dress up for dinner Christmas Eve." She noticed me walk in the room. "Lily stays the night so she can watch the kids open their gifts."

"Sounds like fun," Ari said. "Can I stay too?"

"Of course, dear."

I smiled at him. "We'd better go, so we don't miss the last bus."

"Yes. Hurry up. Don't dawdle because of me. I'll see you soon. And thank you so much for the help."

"My pleasure."

We donned our coats and boots and headed out. A lot of information bombarded Ari in one day. I wondered what he was thinking about. The streetlights flickered and went out. His head snapped up at the lamps.

"Blackouts conserve energy, happens frequently on the Northside."

"Even in the winter?"

"Yeah. That is why everyone uses a fireplace."

The bus stop was empty. The wind ripped my hair out of my hair tie. I tried to put it behind my ears, but to no avail. The bus stopped and we boarded. There was only standing room and the temperature was not much warmer than outside.

"So where do you live?" he asked.

"On the west side of town. Salisbury Hill. Same stop as the barracks." I paused for a moment, the decisive moment. "I hope you don't think I am crazy."

"No, no. I do not think you're crazy. Paranoid maybe?"

My heart sunk. "That is not much better. Are you going to keep visiting the orphanage?"

"Yes, I planned to, if it is OK."

I couldn't stop smiling. "She always needs help with those kids. Blake seemed to take to you pretty well. That does not usually happen. He gives the Churchwomen the hardest time. No matter how many times I talk to him."

"Seems he has a crush on you."

"I don't think so; I am more like a big sister. I shouldn't have a favorite, but he is the little brother I should have had. He was the one caught shoplifting the day I met them. The youngest of three boys but his whole family died in a house fire."

"Oh my God, that is horrible."

I nodded. "He is the big brother now, for all the other orphans. The other kids at school pick them on terrible. And sometimes by adults. I don't think it has been as bad since Fran let me teach him to defend himself."

It seemed like such a long time ago. I had made large strides since then. At our stop, I looked at him and caught him looking at me again. He smiled. I couldn't tell if his cheeks were red from the cold or if he was blushing. His eyes seemed to peer right into my soul. A wave of heat washed over me from head to toe. I smiled back at him and bumped into him. He returned the bump.

We arrived at the intersection where we had to split up. I did not want to say good-bye.

"I don't go out a lot, but I am going to a dance club tomorrow night. Would you like to come?" A tingling sensation started in my chest and moved down my left arm.

"A dance club? I cannot say I have ever been to one. I'm sure it isn't like the high school dances."

I chuckled. "I am sorry, and no, nothing like that. It would be an experience, unlike anything you've ever had."

"Well, it sounds interesting enough."

"Is that a yes?"

He nodded. "Yeah, it's a yes."

"Meet me at 1500 North Main Street, around seven."

"I think I can remember that."

"The barracks are straight down that road," I said, pointing south. "Thanks for hanging out with me today. And good luck with practice."

"I am glad I got to come. Will you be OK walking home?"

I smirked. "You don't need to worry about me.” Then I jogged off to the west. Should I have said more? Should I have hugged him goodbye? I felt like a blundering novice. Life was so much easier when I was not interested in someone. I glanced back. He stood there watching me. After a quick wave, he turned and went on his way. 



© 2016 SybilMelton


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

101 Views
Added on June 6, 2016
Last Updated on November 1, 2016


Author

SybilMelton
SybilMelton

Chesapeake, VA



About
I have just started writing, but I have loved reading since I learned how. I hope to find and connect with people with similar interests and need similar help. I am looking for constructive criticis.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by SybilMelton


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by SybilMelton