Chapter 4 Wildflowers

Chapter 4 Wildflowers

A Chapter by Lonnie Paul Johnson
"

Abigail walk through a field of wildflowers and finds a surprise.

"

WILDFLOWERS

 

One day leaving the well her water pouches full Abigail decided to take a difference route home, the weather is warm and a cool breeze felt refreshing that she wanted to view the wild flowers on her way back home.  Her spirit high with happiness she humming viewing the brilliance colors of the flowers, spying the bees hopping from blossom to blossom.  She saw off the trial in the field of tall grass a form of a body laying face down.  She approaches the figure cautiously wondering if he dead or asleep, he appear dusty and his skin parch by the sun.  Reaching to touch his hand, she grabs hold of her knife, but that was not necessary the man did not move when she felt his dry skin.  Abigail roll the strange man over on his back placing her ear at his chest hearing his heart still beating faint and rapidly.  The man lips seem to be seal together, taking the water pouring into her hand she drizzle a few drop into his mouth.  Wetting her hand she wipe his entire face and continue to pour drops of water in his mouth until his body reflex responded by swallowing. 

 

Abigail knows in her spirit that she need to get this man home, pulling his arms around her neck she lift his limp body off the ground, thanking God that she has strong broad shoulders.  Hiking and dragging him home she would stop to give the man few more drops of water, he opens his weak eyes realizing that someone is carrying him, but not knowing it a woman.  The house in sight Abigail yelled for help David and Nahum running taking hold of the lifeless man placing him on her bed.

 

She fills the basin of water, taking wet a cloth, placing it on the young stranger forehead, and having him drink more water.  His eyes open hazily viewing the face of what he perceive is an angel attending to him, trying to speak Abigail fingers touch his lips softly.  “Shhhhh, rest my lord,” he could not rest in his mind because he did not know where he is, who is this beauty taking care to him and what home he in.  She positions at his feet and proceeded to clean and apply oils using her hand to massage them.

 

“I must thank your husband for allow you to take care of me,” said the man in a groggy voice

 

“I have not a husband, you are in my father house, I am the only daughter of Jesse,” answered Abigail still rubbing his feet, the man like her deep voice, it like a meadow horn singing a lullaby.

 

“Who was the man who carries me?”

 

Abigail smile, “I am the woman that carry to my father house.”

 

“Oh,” the man is surprise, “I see you are strong and beautiful, my name is Malachi, may I know my savior name.”

 

“I’m Abigail your maid-servant,” she stood to her feet to retrieve a bowl of portage, he realize that she tall and slender like a cedar tree.  He like everything about her from the skin color to her clear brown eyes, his heart now is beating fast not because he sick, but he fall heads of heals in love with an angel who rescue him.  He wanted to not impose himself wanting to leave so he can find his father men that he know are looking for him.  Abigail insisted that he eat first and completely recover, “I will have my brother to go with you and find your father men.”  Malachi complies letting Abigail feed him her food and he can continue gazing at her gorgeous face.

 

“I was separated from my father servants lost in a dust storm-“a spoon with food went into his mouth; he chewing, “I am lost looking for my companions when my horse came across a snake scaring him-“another spoon full enter into his mouth, he pause from talking to chew and swallow.  “Oh that’s good, I remember falling, when I awake no horse and it had all my water and rations…”  Abigail listening rapidly kept feeding her guest until his place his hand over his month showing that he still chewing; Abigail smile embarrass.  Malachi finishes all that was in the bowl, Abigail about to stand he reach over taking her hand, “Please stay, don’t leave me,” when he touch her heart skip a beat with affection toward him, but she kept compose setting his hand on his stomach.

 

“You need to rest so you can have the strength to find your friends.”

 

“Please stay with me till I sleep,” she agree which wasn’t long his belly full, laying in a soft bed and viewing an angel his exhausted eyes closed into a deep sleep.  Abigail swiftly up on her feet turning away from the man covering her head with a shawl holding her shoulders.

 

“Why is my heart betraying me, O Lord I can not look at him like that; I should have not brought to my father house; but he would have died if I did not; O God give me strength to let him go quickly so I wont bring further shame to my family.”  She said in puzzlement, in the ninth hour of the day Malachi is well enough to search for his companion.  Abigail prepares a meal of raisin cakes and cheese for him to take and she had Nahum to go along to watch over him until he found his people.  Malachi in his spirit did not want to leave but he knows he needs to find his father men that are searching for him.  A few miles down the trail, the search party spotted him and they cry for joy for finding their master son alive and well.

 

The two day journey home for  Malachi was too long he burst into his father home animated to load the camels with goods, he did not want to rest or eat he is determined to go back to the house of Jesse.  His father well in years calls his son to explain the eagerness to go back out when he just arrive home.  “I was lost in a strange place without hope to be found, at death the Lord sent an angel like an eagle she took me to her nest and with her hands-I’m alive, I must go and retrieve her, I have found my jewel.”

 

“You should rest and eat before you go after your wife so you won’t give out before you even start,” spoke his father.  Malachi agrees with him but for only one night, in the morning he will set ready for the journey back.  His father men work hard to gather all the delicate things like jewels, fabrics and spies hoping to overwhelm Abigail father to give her hand.  Then with fresh wine in hand he set out with his father men for the trek to Bethlehem, the camel fitted out with bright color material and bells

 

The small caravans enter into the town everyone stop to see and wonder who is this coming in, is it a king, or is it a prince, or maybe a wealth merchant from Asia?  Children ran after the colorful camels as they passed through toward the house of Jesse.  Malachi formally introduces him self to Jesse asking his permission to marry his daughter, he handed him the written agreement for marriage, money and gifts that he loaded on the camels.  Jesse is stun of the amount he receive having Nitzevet to go and fetch Abigail.

She steps into the room Malachi rose to his feet smiling at her, “Look!  Your ward has come for your hand in marriage and I agree please sit and drink the wine.”  Announce Jesse, Abigail gazing at the wineskins and cups cover her head sprinted out the room shocking everyone there.  Nitzevet taking charge of the situation gave out orders.

 

“David and Nahum block the door, you sit back down and father tells one of your boring stories till I get back.”

 

“Well, yes I will...” suddenly he stop cutting his eyes at his wife frowning as she left after Abigail find her in the back of the house head down trembling holding her self confuse,  Nitzevet coming up behind her putting arm around her shoulder.

 

“What wrong, are you well?”

 

“Mother I don’t know what going on, I’m confuse, I spend years preparing and dreaming for a husband to make a family of my own and I found myself in a desert.  when I thought it was coming a few months ago it dry up like a river in drought; I have buried my dream in the fields out there pledging to God my loyal service, now a man who I just met is with father seeking my hand.  I do not know if this is Lord or not.” Spoke Abigail gazing toward heaven.

 

“Daughter, I know there is a wonderful man in the house desiring for you to be next to him all you have to do is agree and your dream that is dead can come back from the grave alive.  God ways are strange to us, but he has blessed you now, He has giving you favor.”

 

“If this happen like I plan a few months ago,” looking at her mother, “I wouldn’t be scare, but now I’m not sure.”  Nitzevet grabbing her forehead pull it down to her lips kissing with approving smile at her.

 

“I believe a bride should be a little frighten of the future at her engagement night,” Nitzevet taken Abigail by the hand leading her back into the house she standing at the doorway of the room peeking at Malachi through her shawl.  With a worried look on his face rubbing, his hands listening to Jesse beside him tell his stories about days in the military.  Abigail clear her throat slightly getting Malachi attention, head raised up he see his bride grinning leap to feet take her hands to guide her set on pillow in front of him.  Jesse stops telling his tale glance at his daughter.

 

“Is my daughter well?” ask Jesse.

 

“Yes father I’m well,” she turn to Malachi remove the fabric exposing her face eyes cast down, “I am sorry to you, I was not prepared for this and I had to get some air before we continue with this agreement, I hope you forgive me for my rudeness…”

 

“No please It was my fault, I should have sent messages to come ahead to prepare for my visit, I need to beg for your forgiveness…”  Spoke Malachi.

 

“Good, Good you’re both sorry,” Jesse interrupting the couple wanting to complete the betrothal by drinking the wine together.  After they all sip the wine at the same time Jesse stood to his feet and laid a hand on Abigail and Malachi heads.  “May the Lord grant my daughter and son-in-law a long life, many strong and healthy children, your crops will always produce, your barns are never go empty, and the flame of your love will never be put out.”  Jesse finishes his blessing over them Abigail rose to her feet hugging and kisses her father on the cheek, he holding her hand very proud.

 

“Father, I believe the whole village is out in front of our home,” said Nahum, with a concern facial expression.

 

“I’m sorry, that because me; my arrival has stir up the town people,” respond Malachi, grabbing Abigail hand, “maybe we should let the world know our joy, may I sir.”  Glancing at Jesse, he focuses his attention on all of the fine things laid at his feet wave his hand up.

 

“She yours now do what ever you want with her,” the statement made Abigail gasp, Jesse immediately look up and corrected his self, “O, within reason.” The couple squint each other grinning ran up to the front door as David opening letting the crowd observe the lovely couple.  All the people clamoring curious about the strange man, ‘who is he and where did he come from,’ Surveillancing the towns people Malachi step forward with his arm up silencing them so he can speak.

 

“Men and Women of Bethlehem my name is Malachi…your daughter save me from death with her loving hands,” lifting up her fingers to his lips turning look up into her brown eyes she taller than he is. “My heart belong to her celebrate with me that I found my bride,” she bend her knee slightly to eyes level with him, then he kiss Abigail on her lips; her legs gave way but Malachi arm held her in place beside him and her hand fasten tightly around him as they continue kissing.   The women swoon and scream for joy and the men cheered.  The young couple finishing the kiss longed to kiss again totally zoning out the world.  Both lovers in a heart stumping passion slowly approach to touch lips again, but a mob rush swarming around Abigail girls and the young women grabbing and hugging pushing away Malachi as their eyes trying to stay in contact with each other, question firing at her, ‘how did you meet him?  Did you meet his family, was that your first kiss, and is it true that you carry him home on your back?  Abigail is humble by all the attention she is receiving from all of her girlfriends. 

 

The day is over and all of the town’s people went home David decided bed down with his flock instead in his own bed a few yards away, plan to leave at daybreak.  David playing his harp a somber song, hearing a trig crack turn to see Abigail, he quick stood.

 

“Hello Abby, I thought you would be sleep by now,” Said David.

 

“I can not sleep so I heard your music, but your song is so sad, why?”

 

“I am happy for you that your dreams came true, but I know soon you will be leaving, I’m missing you already.”

 

Abigail holding David hands, “My joy is overflowing now, but I do have some regret leaving the family and especially you, I was the first to lay hand on you at birth.  I consider you my first child watching you grow into a man; I pray that all my sons are like you.  I know that the Lord have great plans for you David it may look like nothing now but when he ready it will come, I understand that about my life.  I was in preparation for this marriage all my life and now it here, I wish I knew what God’s plans for you David but what you are learning now will be what you need to fulfill His will.  So David keeps learning, have an ear to God and be ready.”  She kisses him on the cheek, David nod accepting her words in his heart.



© 2012 Lonnie Paul Johnson


Author's Note

Lonnie Paul Johnson
I hope you the reader like this chapter of the story, I wanted to show through Abigail that blessing come in ways we lease expect them to come. Abigail goes through a range of emotions and when your dreams come true its sometimes fast taking your breath away.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

this was a great chapter, very readable. You have a lot of talent. Enjoyed.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
1 Review
Added on April 23, 2012
Last Updated on April 23, 2012
Tags: short novel, religion, christian fiction


Author

Lonnie Paul Johnson
Lonnie Paul Johnson

fort Worth, TX



About
I loved writing stories, when I was young I wrote very simple and crude stories base off of TV shows and movies I seen at the time. An event happen when during that time I believe influence my writin.. more..

Writing