Chaper 01 - I'll Be Fine

Chaper 01 - I'll Be Fine

A Chapter by *~* ReAdInG Mu5iC *~*

  

Has anyone just sat back and took a good look at life?  I mean, really look at it and figure out what life is about.  It is about relationships, is it about power, or is it about love and sex?  Who knows?  Another question you may ask is what is the main goal in life, how does it work, and why?  This is the story about me and my life and how I got through it.  Let me just say that it is a long story.

 

It starts out in the eighth grade at a basketball game. I was playing on the junior varsity team over many other players who were older than me, so I wasn’t the most popular person in school.  My school is small with only 175 students in grade seventh through twelfth.  But even though it was a small school, everyone played sports and we were good.

 

The game was close, 55 to 56, with us behind by one point with fifteen seconds left on the clock and I’m up for a free throw shot.  I take my time, take three dribbles, a deep breath, three more dribbles, hold my breath, and shoot.  I make it.  It’s tied, 56 to 56.  My teammates on the court come up and pat me on the back and I let go of my breath.  Why did I just do that?  I let go of my breath.  My whole routine is messed up now.  Nonetheless, I get the ball back and take my time; three dribbles, deep breath, three dribble, hold my breath, and shoot.  I miss.  The ball goes into play to my team.  The point guard takes it to the top of the key and dribbles down the lane.  Right at last second, the player shoot and makes that layup.  We win 58 to 56.  The feeling of victory and accomplishment overwhelms me, closely followed by defeat and anguish.

 

How could I have missed that shot?  Why did I let go of that breath?  But either way, we won.  We go through the line and shake hands with the other team and start celebrating.  Well, that is, everyone but me.  I was still mad at myself for messing up that free throw shot.  I go to change into my varsity jersey when the coach stops me.

 

“You played well out there, Lucy,” she said patting me on the back.  Coach was like another mom to me and treated me like her daughter.

 

“Thanks coach,” I said untying my shoes.

 

“You don’t have to change into your varsity jersey.  You really need a break.  Take a break and just watch,” she said.

 

“What, why?” I asked dropping my shoes.

 

“You’re too hard on yourself.  You need a break for little bit” she said sitting next to me on the bench.  “You remind me a lot of myself and I was really hard on myself when I was your age and I had a major breakdown.  Not that I’m say that you are going to try to kill yourself.  Just that you are a good player with lots of skill and every once in a while, you will need a break.  Take this game to just watch.”

 

“Really?  You don’t mind?” I asked.

 

“Not at all.  Just trust me that you will feel a lot better after just watching this game,” she said standing up.

 

“Thanks coach,” I said.

 

“You’re welcome.  Eat a pretzel for me,” she said smiling and walking out of the locker room.

 

After taking a long shower in steaming water, I dressed into a neon orange sports bra, neon green spaghetti strap tank top, baggy black sweatpants that said my school’s name down the side, and my worn out Osiris skating shoes.  It had been one of my comfy days at school today.  After getting my jersey into my bag, I walked out to the gym where I set my bag down next to the bleachers then went to the concessions stand.  We were at the opposing team’s school and everyone was giving me a funny look.  At the counter there were two identical boys sitting behind who looked bored out of their minds.

 

“Can I get a pretzel and a bottle of Sierra Mist, please?” I asked pulling out my money.

 

“Pretzel,” the boy on the right yelled to the back. “Three dollars and fifty cents.”

 

I handed him a five and he gave me the change.

 

“Are you guys twins?” I asked, already knowing the answer.

 

“Yeah.  I’m Mason,” said the one who gave me the change.

 

“I’m Jason,” said the one who handed me the pretzel.

 

“Lucy,” I said shaking each of their hands.

 

“Enjoy,” Mason said.  I go to turn away but Jason stops me.

 

“Wait, I want to talk to you more,” he said.

 

“About what?” I asked.

 

“Okay, so my first impressions aren’t that good,” he said jumping over the counter. “Cover me, bro.”

 

“As always,” Mason said sitting back in his chair.

 

“SO I saw you playing out there.  You are really good.  Better than any girl I’ve ever seen before,” he said as we walked into the gym.

 

“Thanks. I’ve played with my brothers since I was a little girl.”

 

“How many brothers do you have?”

 

“Seven.”

 

“Ouch.  And I thought that I had it bad.  I have four older brothers and one younger.”

 

“I haven’t really been close to them, other than basketball.  The closet on in age is five years older than me.  It gradually goes up by a year from there on out.”

 

“Mine are three years older than me and Mason is younger than me by three minutes.”

 

“Nice,” I said.  We were sitting in the middle of the bleachers along with other people from his school.  Coach saw me sitting on the bleachers and smiled at me.  I hald the pretzel up to her and she started laughing.

 

“Inside joke?” Jason asked.

 

“Kind of.”

 

“Fill me in.”

 

~

 

Jason turned out to be really nice and was my age, actually only a day older.  We talked and laughed so much that my stomach hurt from laughing so hard.  It was like we had been best friends for many years.  We were a lot alike in many different ways.

 

After the horrible loss for the varsity, Jason walked me outside, carrying my bag.  The rest of the team was loading the bus and I walked past it.

 

“Don’t you have to ride the bus?” Jason asked stopping and pointing at the bus.

 

“My mom’s driver is picking me up and bringing me to the Christmas party in California.”

 

“Your mom’s driver?  California?  Is your mom famous or something?” Jason asked as a limo pulled up in front of me.

 

“Did you watch the VMAs?”

 

“Yes.  My mom is a huge fan.”

 

“You know the hosts?” he nodded.  “That’s my parents.”

 

“Really?  Aren’t they famous for singing?”

 

“Yeah.  They didn’t want the same life for my brothers and I so they hired someone to take care of us until I turned twelve.  Then I was taken care of by my brothers, but there are some perks like going to the VMAs, Emmy awards, you name it.  Oh, plus, many movie premieres.”

 

“You are a very lucky girl.”

 

“Do you need a ride home?”

 

“I can’t go home right now,” he said letting his head drop.

 

“Why?” I asked, concerned.

 

“My dad is home from a business trip and my brothers and I aren’t allowed home when he’s there.”

 

“Why, if I may ask?”

 

“He’s an abusive drunk and my mom doesn’t want us around him.  I usually stay at my aunt’s house but she’s gone for this whole week.  I’ll end up staying at a hotel or something.”

 

“How about you come with me to California with me?  Have you ever been to a celebrity Christmas party?”

 

“California?  You want me to go to California with you?” he asked, his mouth hanging open.

 

“Yeah.  I know a place where I can get clothes that would fit you and would fit in with the California style; it very cheap and I’ll pay for it.  My parents aren’t going to notice anything.  Would your brothers want to come?”

 

“They are all staying at their friends or girlfriends house.  You seriously wouldn’t mind me coming to California with you?”

 

“It’s just going to be me and the driver all the way there.  Plus there’s wireless internet and cable in the limo so we’re all set. I’ll start ordering your stuff oline as soon as we leave.”

 

“Oh my gosh, you are the best, Lucy,” Jason said giving me a hug.

 

“You can thank me later,” I said climbing into the limo and Jason following me.  Soon after, I was on the phone with the party planner explaining that I would need one extra invite.  She was excited that I was bringing a friend so I started by ordering Jason some extra clothes for over Christmas break and his outfit for the party.  I decided on a light yellow floor length maxi dress and a matching flower for my hair.  For Jason, I got a long sleeve light yellow button down shirt and a pair of white shorts.  We both got yellow flip flops and matched perfectly.

 

We made it to California in four days and Jason was more than amazed.  We got to my cabin where there was four boxes of clothing sitting on the porch.  When we pulled into the driveway my dogs, Fi Fi and Snowball, come running up to us, running alongside the limo.

 

The cabin is a beautiful set up, its right by the ocean with a wooden cabin that was covered in blue and yellow flowers with a long walkway and a driveway lined with purple flowers.  When the limo pulled up, I got out and I gave the driver a twenty as a tip.  Jason grabbed my gym bag, throwing it over his shoulder, and waited for me to walk up the path with me.

 

“Did you need to tell anyone that you are six states away?” I asked as the limo drove away.

 

“My mom doesn’t care where we are, just as long as we are safe.  But I will tell Mason.  I should probably do that now,” he said pulling out an iPhone out of his pocket.

 

“I’ll just get the work crew to bring your clothes up to my room for now.  Now that I think about it, I’m sure that Cody would have clothes that you could borrow.  But now you have a memento for this trip,” I said smiling and trying to take my bag away from him but he wouldn’t let me.  I just shrugged it off and walked into the cabin to get the work crew.  After I got them working on the boxes, I went to my room and started my shower.  A few minutes later Jason came in and his eyes grew wide.  I guess my room is impressive.  It has yellow walls with pink flowers across the wall, a big pink and yellow bed in the middle with a glitter yellow canopy over the top, a yellow couch and chair set, a TV set along with as many DVDs that any teenage girl could watch, and two doors; one leading to my bathroom and the other leading to my walk in closet filled with clothes.  I told Jason that he could get ready in my brother’s, Darren, room across the hall and he went to the other side.  I glanced at the clock and saw that it was around two o’clock and the party started at five.  I went to the bathroom and got in the shower, and took a deep breath.  It felt so soothing.


Picture is of actress Ashley Rickards, who I based Lucy off of. :) Thanks for reading!



© 2011 *~* ReAdInG Mu5iC *~*


Author's Note

*~* ReAdInG Mu5iC *~*
First time writer! I've also been told that there is a lot of stuff in one chapter so I'm just warning you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

With any new story there will always be places within it that need a tweak here and there. The overall premise seems genuine and I like the descriptive quality you've got going. I think that it does seem unlikely that a girl would just up and invite a boy to California after knowing him for just an hour or two... but hey... stranger things have happened in the real world, so I'll say it can work that way.
Perhaps a little bit more description in the area where they first start talking. Let the reader be shown what it is that the other sees in the other so to speak.

I hope you continue!
Wolfie

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You should use YOUR pic Lucy......

;0)

Posted 12 Years Ago


uhh-MAZING!!! Only if this counted for homework...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nice! I love the spacing too. Too many writers here cram too much crap into too little available space. Do they think they are saving the planet by making us read stuff that is too crammed together? lol

I like the flow of the story. You are good at this. I was also impressed that the story moves along really well. It doesnt get stuck within itself!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You did very well with the chapter. I like the characters and the storyline. I like how you used detailed description making each situation come alive with your words. A very good story so far.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

With any new story there will always be places within it that need a tweak here and there. The overall premise seems genuine and I like the descriptive quality you've got going. I think that it does seem unlikely that a girl would just up and invite a boy to California after knowing him for just an hour or two... but hey... stranger things have happened in the real world, so I'll say it can work that way.
Perhaps a little bit more description in the area where they first start talking. Let the reader be shown what it is that the other sees in the other so to speak.

I hope you continue!
Wolfie

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this, but the biggest problem I saw is that it really struck me that Jason and Lucy had just met, and then they know each other for however long a basketball game lasts (I don't do sports) and then she invites him to go to California with her... Do you kind of see where I'm coming from? What I would do is I would put some more in, like, make them know each other for a while before she invites him to California. That will also strengthen the bond between the reader and Jason. Make the reader really like him, where now I kind of feel like I don't know him. You could also give us information about the characters, like, what they look like and how they act. Other than that I completely love it. It seems like it's going to become a romance. Good job! Well written!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

551 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 20, 2011
Last Updated on October 20, 2011


Author

*~* ReAdInG Mu5iC *~*
*~* ReAdInG Mu5iC *~*

Oxford, England, United Kingdom



About
I'm seventeen. I have two daughters, twins, Arianna and Abrianna, who will be two in December. Their father died in a car accident soon after they were born. I live with my aunt who is twenty-four,.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Questions Questions

A Poem by ~LeeAnn~