Chapter 12-Clawed Skin

Chapter 12-Clawed Skin

A Chapter by .:Lu:.

As soon as we got back to the camp, I knew something was wrong. Cody knew it, too. He set me down, but I got up, keeping my weight on my good leg. He let me lean against him.

                “What’s up?” Bailey came up behind us.

                That’s when I saw it. Kaylee was lying on the other side of the fire, which was still going strong. Her neck was ripped apart. Her dagger was still in her hand, and her face was in a state of fear. Cody and I stared at her body for the longest time. Bailey went up to it and put her hand to Kaylee’s face.

                I fell into Cody, sobbing. He hugged me and cried, too. I didn’t want Kaylee to be gone! I was shaking. Cody put his arms around me and held me closer.

                “Why her? Why the happy one? The one who could laugh about anything?” I put my arms around his neck. He shook his head. “Why?”

                Eventually, we calmed down. Cody let go of me, but I held his hand. He looked into my eyes. “Are you gonna be alright?”

                “I don’t know. After this, I hope so.”

                He kissed me. “We’ll get through it. I promise.” He hugged me. “Alright?” I nodded, and he smiled. “Let’s take care of her.”

                He helped me over to where her body was lying. I sat next to Bailey. She looked down on Kaylee sadly. “She was the one who tried to help my brother, when the Bearmutt attacked him.” She shook her head. “What killed her?”

                Cody leaned down and looked at her neck. “I’m guessing something inhuman. The wound looks like it was clawed.”

                I pointed to her face. “That, and you wouldn’t be that afraid of someone who was attacking you, unless they have inhuman features. Like claws, or extra teeth.” The other two looked and nodded. Cody brushed my hand.

                “Where do we bury here?” Bailey looked around.

                Cody shook his head. “We can’t bury her. Beasts will dig it up. I can cremate her.” I leaned against Cody. He put his arm around me and kissed my head. “You should lie down. I don’t want you to hurt yourself.” I nodded. He looked at Bailey. “I’ll take care of Kaylee in the woods. Can you make sure Cammie gets to sleep safely?”

                She smiled and nodded. Cody gave me one last kiss, then carried Kaylee away. Bailey helped me over to the tent. She tucked me in, just like Cody did every night. She smiled at me. “You love him. I can tell.”

                I smiled and nodded. “I wouldn’t trade him for anything. Even a ticket home.” Bailey smiled. She went back to the fire. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and let myself sleep.



© 2011 .:Lu:.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on June 10, 2011
Last Updated on June 10, 2011


Author

.:Lu:.
.:Lu:.

Galena, OH



About
Chocolate......bacon..............and cake. The joys of life. more..

Writing
Leaving Leaving

A Poem by .:Lu:.


My Voice My Voice

A Story by .:Lu:.