Chapter 13-Splinters

Chapter 13-Splinters

A Chapter by .:Lu:.

Weeks went by.
Eventually, Kaylee faded to the backs of our minds. We would see other bodies on the ground, victims of Beats or DNAs or wild Runners. Some looked like they had just dropped dead. Those were the ones that scared me. Every time we found a corpse, though, Cody dragged it off and burned it quickly. He would take the ashes, and we would make an oath to settle their life.
"Come on," Cody nudged me. "Even with the cast off, you shouldn't be up at all hours." I hadn't noticed the sun set over the ocean. I clutched the pelt around me and got up. Cody put his arm around me and guided me to the fire. We sat down, and I rested my head on his shoulder. He pulled me closer.
"I want to get out of here," I whispered.
He kissed me. "I know. I want out, too" He stroked my hair next to my face. "We'll get out, someday. They can't keep us in here forever."
I curled against his chest. He had to be right. Nobody sane could keep us out here for long.
A few days later, we woke to a loud buzzing sound. Cody and Bailey looked around, confused. The sound registered just as I heard the cracking of wood.
"Chainsaw." I said. I shook my head and looked up at Cody. "Chainsaws! They're cutting down the woods!
We all got up and grabbed what we could. I had a pelt, with my bow, arrows, and quiver bundled inside. Cody grabbed another two pelts and the blanket, as well as his two swords. Bailey grabbed a third pelt and her assortment of daggers and sword.
There must have been a subconscious message for all of us to head to the beach. We all collapsed in the sand, breathing hard. Cody grabbed my hand, and I looked over at him. He smiled.
"You alright?"
I nodded. I crawled over to him and fell into his arms. He pulled me closer than ever. "Shh, it's alright. We're safe. Nobody's gonna hurt you." I threw my arms around his neck and cried. I felt Bailey join in on the hug.
"It's OK, Cammie. We're out of the woods."
An hour later, we were still huddled on the beach. I was calmed down, but Cody was still holding me. We could see the trees fall, and the progress across the island. It was scary. How many DNAs and Runners were still in the woods? What would they do if they got stuck? What about the people with the chainsaws?
A buzzing sound erupted behind a tree. We scrambled out of the way as a tree directly in front of us shuddered for a minute, then fell, right where we had been. The buzzing continued, and trees in the nearby area came crashing down. I watched, frozen to the spot. Why were they cutting the trees down?
The DNAs and Runners used them well. It would only dampen our hope of getting out. The Beasts used them, too. It provided shelter. It provided heat. And sometimes, food.
They wanted us to battle it out. The only time we ever saw each other was when we were gathering food, maybe. But now, we only got food from what supplies we had left, and if any of the boxes had them. We had to fight to live. This meant more room on the island for arriving DNAs and Runners, and maybe even Beasts. I started shaking.
"Cammie? What's wrong?"
I shook my head. "They're trying to kill us. They want us to murder each other. They won't let us off of here. they..." I buried my face in my hands and sobbed. Cody pulled me into his lap.
"Just because they want us to die doesn't mean we have to. Let's prove them wrong."
I looked up at him, my eyes red. "How?"
He grinned. "We survive."


© 2011 .:Lu:.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on June 11, 2011
Last Updated on June 12, 2011


Author

.:Lu:.
.:Lu:.

Galena, OH



About
Chocolate......bacon..............and cake. The joys of life. more..

Writing
Leaving Leaving

A Poem by .:Lu:.


My Voice My Voice

A Story by .:Lu:.