The Expectant Mother: Part 1

The Expectant Mother: Part 1

A Chapter by M Garcia
"

A young mother finds love.

"

 

The Expectant Mother

Part 1

 

Before we begin my story, I thought I'd tell you a little about myself. My name is Matilda Mason and I'm 5 foot 5 inches tall, weigh 120 pounds. I have long, curly jet black hair that falls to the middle of my back. I have silver-blue eyes on a good day, but they change with my mood. I have a petite build. I'm twenty-five years old and I used to live with my parents. Sad, I know. I have a great job, that rises and falls with the economy and its on a low note right now. I'm a realtor by day and an interior decorator the rest of the time. Oh and before I forget: I'm pregnant. About two months along and I'm doing it all by myself. The baby's father left me the second I told him and my parents kicked me out. I do; however, have my friend for whom I will be eternally grateful for. I will never be able to pay back the debt I owe him. Maybe I'm not totally alone after all.

* * *

I looked at my room and wanted to cry. Everything was all packed up because I was being kicked out. I was being kicked out because my parents found out that I was unmarried and going to have a baby. They begged me to say I was kidding, but the look on my face was not they would have expected on someone pulling a trick on them. My parents didn't seem to care that I was carrying their first grandchild or that the baby's father had left me. Not that surprised me, they worshipped him. Everyone did. Well almost everyone. They were furious and told me I had a month to get the f**k out of their house, saying that it wasn't like I didn't have money anyway.

That was true enough. Fortunately, I'd saved my money after I got a job right out of college. I was an interior designer and I even a real estate license in case that fell through. Of course, then the idea came to me to combine the two loves of my life: interior design and helping someone find their dream house. I could help them find their house and then I could help them decorate it. I liked to point out that I provided discounts on home decorating, provided they had purchased a house from me.

I waited in the room for my friend to come and get me. I'd procured a place to store my stuff while I looked for a place to live. I'd had the foresight to get my own insurance, but I was more worried about not having a place to stay. Something had to give. Something had to my way soon. Something had to go right for me.

I heard my friend honking the horn and hoped that my parents were gone. That was all I needed to complete my day, a trip to the police station to bail my friend out. James was pissed that my parents would turn their backs on me. I wasn't overjoyed either, but his family had agreed to take me in while I was looking for a house. Maybe James would want to be roommates. I think it'd be nice to have him around more often. He was great fun.

I carried what I could, what I dared, and exited my bedroom. I heard James' car door open and close. I was really praying that my parents were gone. I walked into the living room, glad that I seemed to be getting my way.

"Come on, Tilly," he said, from outside the front door. "I want to get this done before your folks get back."

I sighed and put down the boxes. I opened the door. "I don't have a lot," I said. "Could you please get the rest? I think I can get this to the car."

James nodded and headed to my room. My bed was the only thing I was leaving; I would go to the Goodwill to get one. That or I would through ads and whatnot. There was so much I had to get anyway.

We quickly gathered the rest of my things and pulled out just as my parents showed up. I took the key off my set and tossed it to the sidewalk, never looking back.

* * *

When we arrived at the storage place, James and I just sat in the car.

"I'm really pissed at your Mom and Dad," he said, breaking the silence. "Why would they kick you out?"

"I don't know James," I said. "I was thinking, would you like to be roommates? You'll be house hunting with me anyway."

James seemed pained at the idea, but he carefully thought it over. "Sure. I need to fly the roost anyway."
I stared at him. "I don't want you to do anything you don't want to do."

James sighed. "I want to."

I thought I heard him whisper More than you'll ever know, but I couldn't be sure. So I just shrugged and got out of the car. With the two large dollies it only took one trip to get everything that was going into storage into storage.

"So do you want to do some house shopping before we go to home?" he asked, a few hours later.

"Sure," I replied.

He smiled at me as we got into the car. James had decided that we would just drive around until we saw an open house sign or something that struck us.

* * *

A few days passed and I was content with James and his family. "Tilly?" his mother, Saundra, called. "Phone, dear."

"Thanks!" I called back, as I slowly left my room. Well, I was sharing with James. "Hello?"

     "Hi, Tilly. This is Bella, your real estate agent," the woman said.

"Hello, Bella. What's up?"

    "I have great news. You got the house and for less than asking."

I smiled and thanked her. "I'll be over later with the last of the paperwork. Should close in a month. Maybe less."

"Excellent. Thank you so much for your help."

"You're most welcome. I hope you and your husband will be very happy with the house."

"Err, thanks."

I hung up and went in search of James. We'd got the house we wanted. It had three bedrooms, a spacious living room, large kitchen and dining room. Three bathrooms and walk in closets. Fortunately it was in our price range as well. I don't think I'd have found another house I wanted more.

* * *

"Hey, girlie. How's it going?" James asked, as I entered the garage. It hadn't been so hard to find him. There was only really one place he'd be.

"We got the house," I said, smiling.

He looked up from the car and smiled. "Really?"

"The realtor is on her way with the papers."

"Awesome. Let me know when she gets here."

I nodded and went to sit down. My back was really hurting me.

James went back work on the car and I stared at his profile. He was a great looking guy. Tall, built yet not overly muscular. His hair was such a dark brown it probably should have been black. It fell in soft waves to his shoulders. Because he was usually working on a car, he tended to keep it in a ponytail. His eyes were a piercing ice-blue that sparkled when he laughed.

"Was there something else you needed?" he asked.

"No. I just had to sit, my back was starting to hurt," I replied.

He smiled and came to sit beside me.



© 2011 M Garcia


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it. I didn't feel like the beginning was the greatest "hook," so to speak; it would be more compelling if you introduced us to Tilly in bits and pieces, rather than throwing her entire physical appearance at us at once, right at the beginning. But you've done a pretty good job of developing James and Tilly, and their dialogue is realistic.

"Before we beging my story," --> should be "begin"

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

501 Views
1 Review
Added on November 5, 2010
Last Updated on September 27, 2011


Author

M Garcia
M Garcia

PA



About
more..

Writing
A Death... A Death...

A Poem by M Garcia


Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by M Garcia