Drafted

Drafted

A Chapter by M Garcia
"

loosely based on a dream

"

Drafted

 

Description " based on a dream I had while listening to the NBA draft.

 

     I looked around the area and cringed. It was going to be a nightmare to get of here once the show let out. I was gonna have to start making my way to the door now.

     As I left, I ran into my ex, literally.

     “Sorry,” I said. I was surprised that he was here. He hated this sort of thing. “Markus, I just wanted to say, I’m sorry.”

     He looked a little stricken. “Kyla, please don’t start,” he said.

     I smiled gently. “I’m not trying to start anything; I just wanted you to know that I’m sorry. I never meant for you or our daughter to get hurt. I hope you’ll let me see her soon.”

     He nodded and I left. I saw a co-worker and waved. “Can I borrow your truck? Mine is all the way in the back and I’m headed out now.”

     She tossed me the keys and I handed her mine. “Here’s mine. I’ll trade you back at work.”

     Mylie smiled and I left. I was gonna have to haul a*s so that I could make the thirty minute drive home. I wasn’t sure what the hell I was gonna do if I was late. I couldn’t be late again. My boss said if I was late again I would be looking for another job. I couldn’t afford that, not if I wanted to get my daughter back.

     I couldn’t wait until I could see her again.

     I heard a horn beep and beeped back. Things were already a madhouse and there were still hundreds of people inside the venue. It was big deal. They didn’t usually hold these things on this coast.

     It was a very proud moment for us indeed.

* * *

     When I pulled into the driveway with a few minutes to spare, my ex’s wife was in the driveway.

     “What are you doing here Jennifer?” I said. “You aren’t supposed to come around without calling, just like you wanted me to do.”

     She waved it off. “I need to leave Cera with you for a couple days,” she said.

     I looked at her. “Why?” It wasn’t that I didn’t want o spend time with my little girl, but Jennifer did everything she could to keep her away from me, even lie.

     “I’m going to be working for the next few days out of town, finishing up a movie. I can’t take her with me and Markus has to work.”

     “So do I. My husband isn’t home and I’m not leaving her with my mother. She’s already taking care of my nephew, Horus.”

     Jennifer leered at me. That’s why I knew it was a trap. “I can take her to work with me. There are cribs at work.”

     She looked at me and just shook her head. “Follow me.”

     I followed her around the car and took the baby out of the car seat; at least, I had one of those already. Kept one for these rare occasions, plus I tended to tote my nephew around.

     I held out my hand for Cera’s things and then took them to my co-worker’s car. Jennifer said goodbye and I carried Cera into the house. I put her in the playpen and quickly dressed for work.

     “Hi baby,” I said. “You are so beautiful.”

     I grabbed the car seat and called my mom and husband, who had walked in as I was getting dressed. “What is she doing here?” my mother demanded. “I can’t watch two babies!”

     “Honey, what’s going on?” my husband, Carl, asked. “I thought Markus and Jennifer didn’t want you around her.”

     “That’s what I thought. Apparently, Jennifer has to go finish a movie and Markus is working.” I glared at my mother, even though I knew what her response would be. “Don’t worry. I wouldn’t expect you to be to take care of both your grandchildren. I’m taking her to work.”

     My husband looked at me. “Is that going to be okay? I don’t want you to get fired.”

     I shook my head. “I’ll put her in the office and call my boss and let her know I had no choice. Cera should sleep most of the night once I get her there anyway.”

     “I would watch her if I could.”

     I kissed him. “I know. Do you think you could watch her for a minute while I go put the car seat in?”
     Carl nodded and I walked outside.

     Once at work, all she did was stare at me. The poor girl didn’t know that I was her mom and I killed me.

     I couldn’t believe that Jennifer would stoop so low as to take my child from me. Although after she took my husband, I shouldn’t have been surprised.

     Don’t get me wrong, I love my new husband, but Jennifer had been my friend and I didn’t think she would take him. She got really pissed when she found out I was pregnant. Jennifer had tried every trick she could think of to get her taken from me.

     Finally it worked. All she had to say was that I was abusive and managed to get tapes of my labor. Then she had someone who sounded like my ex scream at the appropriate moments and that was it. They took my baby away and I was allowed supervised visits.

     Eventually I managed to get her to admit that she’d faked the whole thing. It hadn’t gotten me custody back, because I knew that my ex didn’t want children in the first place. Or at least he hadn’t with me.

     I did my work and looked at the little girl who looked like me. I wondered again, not for the first time, how I’d gotten drafted to be her mother.



© 2011 M Garcia


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
Added on June 24, 2011
Last Updated on September 25, 2011


Author

M Garcia
M Garcia

PA



About
more..

Writing
A Death... A Death...

A Poem by M Garcia


Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by M Garcia