Chapter 4: White Horizon

Chapter 4: White Horizon

A Chapter by Maddison Boys
"

We hop back into the moment that you realize one night can ruin your whole life or at least change it.

"
Chapter 4: White Horizon
​As Dani lay in the hospital bed she thought about what was going to face her; her brother’s death, her mother’s fears, her father’s rules, and worse her guilt that could easily lead to depression. The one thing she couldn’t possibly think about was school. How much had she missed? How were her friends? Did they miss her? Was Kaden there? Or did he go home after he found out Matt was gone? Those are all the thoughts that floated through her head. She had no answers to any of the questions. The only way that she could get answers was by opening her eyes.
​Dani took a deep breath and opened her eyes. The brightness that lit up the room was too much for her eyes to handle. She quickly shut them and began to slowly open them again.
​“She’s awake, get the nurse!” Some one shouted Dani couldn’t quite place the voice with a name, or face. Once her eyes adjusted to the light she saw her mothers head perk up while her father, Dallas, squeezed Lillian’s shoulders as his face was torn with all that has just happened. She looked to her left and tears began to form in her eyes and she saw there was no longer any one next to her. It barely hit in that moment that she will never see Matt again in her entire life. She felt the tears threatening to fall but she held them back by biting her lower lip. Dani looked into her parents eyes for support and comfort but all she could see was fear, and pain.
​“Danielle Lewis, how are you doing? I’m Dr. Harris I’ve been taking care of you and I will continue to do so until you’re well enough to go home.” The man in the white lab-like coat said as he approached her. He extended his hand towards her. She slowly lifted hers up and gave it a small shake. Taking in his dark brown hair, and chestnut eyes. Dr. Harris was in his mid-twenties he looked like he had just graduated med school not too long ago. Dani didn’t feel too comfortable around him considering that the last time she’d ever met a doctor was because of Matt, and the first time she followed Matt and his path that tended to lead to destruction. Dani had never been back into a hospital since that moment.
​“He-he-l-l-o” Dani stuttered. She was unsure of her voice since the last time she remembered speaking was when she asked her brother what was wrong.
​“It’s okay Dani you don’t need to speak.” Dr. Harris said as he went to look at her vitals and do the usual check up.
​“Dani, you’re okay.” Kaden said standing in the door. He looked like he hadn’t slept for a few days. His hair was scuffed up more than normal while he was still wearing the same clothes that Dani had seen him in at the party.
​“Kaden, you can go home now. I bet your parents are worried about you not sleeping and all. Thank you for staying with us until she awoke.” Dallas said as he walked up to Kaden shaking his hand in a thankful way.
​“Uh, yeah of course sir. Thanks for letting me stay. Can I do one thing first though?” Kaden asked looking very serious and vulnerable at the same time.
​“What is it?” Dallas asked him standing his ground before he would say yes to what ever it is Kaden wanted.
​“Can I speak to your daughter alone?” He asked looking between Lillian and Dallas. Dallas tensed up a little, that’s when Lillian stood up out of her chair kissing Dani on the forehead before grabbing her husband and whispering, “let’s leave them. Maybe he can break the news better” into Dallas’ ear before pulling him away and nodding at Kaden giving him the go ahead. As the parents left the room so did Dr. Harris.
​Before Dr. Harris was completely out of the door way he cleared his throat to catch Kadens attention “She needs her rest. Don’t be too long.” Kaden nodded in agreement and shut the door behind them. He took a seat beside Dani’s bed.
​“Dani do you remember the week that we first met?” Kaden asked quickly before Dani could get a word out. She didn’t trust her voice so she shook her head no. She tried to remember but for some reason she didn’t quite remember that time.
​“You were about 11 or 12 and your brother and I were fooling around up in the tree house. We always were up there while you would always complain about being left out. Normally you would go complain to your mom about how it’s so unfair that Matt got to do whatever he wanted! Well your parents were right to protect you. I wish that kept a closer eye on you as you hit high school. He wanted to protect you. He just. He got mixed up in some stuff and couldn’t see right from wrong. He just wanted someone to share it with. I guess he thought you would be there…” Kaden began to tear up. When he started telling the story the memory flashed back to Dani.
​Matt and Kaden were sitting up in the tree house playing around. Dani wanted to go up but the boys made a stupid sign that said NO GIRLS ALLOWED. Obviously Dani could care less about the sign she just wanted to hangout with her big brother. She’d always looked up to him and he didn’t understand it. He thought she just wanted to be a pain in his a*s and bother him and his friends. Well once she tried to climb up there without using the ladder. It wasn’t the smartest idea but as she tried to be like her brother she fell about 15ft out of the tree and landed smack down on the ground. She was rushed to the hospital. Had a few broken bones and Matt had sat next to her while she was in the hospital bed he looked into her eyes and said, “I don’t want you to be exactly like me. Don’t do exactly what I do Dani. Because your gonna get hurt, and I don’t know what I’d do if I lost you. Especially if it was because you were following in my footsteps, I would feel like I would’ve failed you, and our parents.”
​“Kaden. I remember.” Dani said the tears forming again.
​“Dani, why?” Kaden said with tears falling down his face.
​“I don’t even remember what happened.” Dani admitted finally letting the tears go and fall down her face as well. Kaden laid his head down on her bed and just laid it there for a few minutes so that he could get the strength to say what he had to say.
​“Dani, I know your parents should be the one to tell you this but�"”
​“Matt’s dead.” Dani said finishing Kaden’s sentence. She sat there her face emotionless and unreadable. She didn’t really want to admit it aloud but knew it’d be easier to say it then here it.
​“How’d you know?” Was all Kaden could say.
​“I just had a feeling.” Dani kept her emotions in check. She patted the spot next to her and motioned Kaden to lie next to her. He got up slowly and began to lie down. She quickly adjusted herself by setting her head on his chest. “Stay here for awhile please. I’m not ready to face the rest of the world. I don’t want to know exactly what happened it can wait till tomorrow.” Dani whispered loudly.
“Of course.” Kaden kissed the top of her head and began to play with her hair as she drifted off to sleep.


© 2013 Maddison Boys


Author's Note

Maddison Boys
Let me know what you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on March 24, 2013
Last Updated on March 24, 2013
Tags: Death, hospital, brother, family, pain, sick, drugs, one night, mistakes


Author

Maddison Boys
Maddison Boys

About
I'm a Junior in Highschool. I'm not a very experienced writer but I'm looking for somewhere that will give me a better experience. Whether it forces me to have thicker skin because of the criticism or.. more..

Writing