luci’s birthday

luci’s birthday

A Chapter by Mes
"

“is it your birthday?”

"
Luci drifted throughout the market, an umbrella that shielded herself from the scorching sun held above her head. When tourists glanced in her direction with curiosity in their eyes, she merely nodded and twirled the umbrella until they shifted their gaze. It was almost as if the umbrella’s harmless movements made them uneasy.

After half an hour of strolling around the area, she abruptly paused in front of a booth that showcased various charms. She seized one of the charms and flipped it over in her palm a few times before setting it back down.

The owner of the booth noticed Luci’s unusual behavior and glanced at the amulet that she had been analyzing. “Miss?”

“Hm? Am I being a bother, dear?” answered Luci, her voice muffled from her mask.

“No, no!” responded the owner, frantically waving her hands around. “I saw you looking at that charm. Would you like to know about it?”

Luci ignored the charm that the owner was now pointing toward. “You seem rather familiar. May I ask where I have seen you before?”

“Oh, um,” the owner hesitated and retracted her hand from the charm, “I live in the castle. You might have seen me outside before.”

“Might you happen to be a servant to Baxter?” questioned Luci, scooping another charm into her hands without looking at the owner.

The owner blinked, taken aback by Luci’s coolness to the conversation. “Yes,” she confirmed, “but not many people call him by his given name.”

“Ahah, very true.” Luci plucked another charm off the table and held it up to the sun before placing it back in its previous spot. “May I also ask your name?”

“Tranquil,” offered the owner.

Luci giggled unnervingly underneath her mask. “Ah, a unique name, wouldn’t you agree?”

“Perhaps.” Tranquil scratched the back of her neck. “I don’t have your name.”

“Are you in dire need of it?” Luci countered immediately, giving off the impression that she had been expecting such an inquiry.

Tranquil widened her eyes slightly. “Well, no.”

Luci hummed in response and continued to browse the various charms, noticing Tranquil sneak glances at her every minute.

“Might you have any charms,” said Luci, “that are specific to this day?”

Tranquil jumped, startled by Luci’s voice ringing abruptly in her ear. She pondered for a moment before disappearing underneath the table, shuffling through a hidden box of jewelry. She grabbed a pendant in the shape of a heart and forced herself to her feet again, offering the pendant to Luci.

Luci accepted the pendant. “A heart is awfully predictable.”

“W-Well, it’s not specific to today, actually,” Tranquil admitted, shying away from Luci’s unreadable expression. “It’s to give the wearer good luck on their birthday. It’s the closest thing I have to your request.”

“I suppose it was a rather difficult request,” Luci laughed, a peculiar grin concealed beneath her mask. She attached the pendant to a necklace around her neck in a matter of seconds.

Tranquil stared at the necklace that hung around Luci’s neck. “Would you like the pendant?”

“Indeed.” Luci reached into a bag that was slung over her shoulder.

“A-Actually!” interrupted Tranquil. “That pendant wasn’t for sale, really. Consider it a gift.”

“Oh?” Luci closed the bag, placing both hands on her umbrella. “Are you certain? I would imagine that a charm such as this should be paid for.”

“It’s no trouble to give it to you for free.” Tranquil grinned and clasped her hands together. “Consider it a gift from a new friend.”

“‘A new friend’?” Luci repeated. “How troubling. I have nothing to give in response to your kindness.”

Tranquil frowned slightly. “Well, that’s the thing about a gift. You don’t need to.”

Luci ran a finger along the pendant. “I believe this charm fulfills its intended purpose.”

“Eh?” murmured Tranquil, wonder filling her eyes upon realizing what Luci was implying. “Is it your birthday?”

Luci’s expression softened, though Tranquil only saw her eyes. “Perhaps so.”

Tranquil smiled widely. “Happy birthday, then.”

Luci ignored her words and shuffled through the contents of her bag before revealing a pen and a piece of paper. She scribbled a few words onto the paper before shoving it toward Tranquil.

Tranquil read the words upon the paper and tilted her head to the side. “What’s this?”

“You did say that we’re friends now, hm?” Luci returned the pen to her bag. “This is where to find me if curiosity ever overtakes you.”

Tranquil blinked and folded the paper, stuffing it into her sleeve for safekeeping. When she looked up again, Luci had disappeared, leaving no trace of her existence.


© 2021 Mes


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
Added on February 17, 2021
Last Updated on February 17, 2021
Tags: ocs, oc birthday, birthday


Author

Mes
Mes

About
“that’s a lonely statement, monsieur.” more..

Writing
saber’s bread saber’s bread

A Chapter by Mes


nethlyvia’s sunset nethlyvia’s sunset

A Chapter by Mes