Shadows of Change

Shadows of Change

A Story by Poetic Beauty
"

short story for world of 500. Could be a longer piece later on.

"

Charcoal gray clouds filled the sky; leaving the soul feeling ominous.  Streaks of bluish electricity bolted horizontally across the horizon; as thunder boomed shaking the windows of the porch.  One by one, the streetlights that lined the street popped on singling the darkness that surrounding this part of the world.  It was closing in faster than you could you could think a thought, creating a foreboding feeling deep within ones being, while overly engorged clouds leaked their sorrow on the humans below, trying to drown them in misery.

 

It was only moments ago that sunshine beamed its bright heated rays on the earth below letting the joy spill over.  There was not even one cotton ball to clutter up the atmosphere.  It had been a wondrous scene of golden rays sparkling through broad emerald green leaves on the trees.  A slight breeze that rustled the foliage cooled the skin.  The sea of vegetation smiled for the plants could feel the heated touch of their lovers embrace.  The brilliant green grass sprung to life reaching towards the sky.

 

All that changed, as the eerie darkness encompassed all of its surroundings.  The harsh blustery winds ripped delicate leaves from the trees littering them up and down the road.  Giant balls of white ice pounded lime colored gladiolus to the ground with an unrelenting force of destruction and hatred.  A vivid scene of green energy had transformed into an ugly shadow land of loss and misery.  It was closing in at a monstrous pace breathing its sulfuric breath of desolation on everything it touched.  The branches hung down weeping with the heavy burden of holding the mournful tears that had been placed on their shoulders.  The world was altered into a place of loneliness and torrential destruction.

 

The planet was changing, but not from the storm, that was brewing it poisonous concoction outside.  It went much deeper.  The raging anger signified a permanent twist of fate that was to come; a predicator of life in this world transforming for all preconceptions that people had.  The new beginning could be felt in every minute cell that lived.  There was a new breed of chaos and destruction getting ready to march down the once quiet neighborhood streets.  The days of peace and serenity were dissolved like salt in hot water.  In the distance, the stomping of boots could be heard as an army of darkness gathered its members to suck out every ounce of goodness that was left on this earth.   The thunder rolled sounding its alarm to the inhabitants, in hopes of warning the creatures to take cover.  Oblivious to nature’s cries of pain; people went about their daily life not heeding the warning that was shrieking in terror of the doom that was rumbling underground. The metamorphosis was coming quickly, and if no one paid attention it would be a life altering event that would change the face of the universe for eons to come.

© 2011 Poetic Beauty


Author's Note

Poetic Beauty
Help is always welcomed. Let me know if you see mistakes. I am not perfect. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think the way you set it up and portrayed it was perfectly done. Very intriging story makes one think about the reality of the way the world is changing around more and more everyday. How we are all so wrapped up in our own lifes that we cannot see what is right in front of us. When you first started describing it I was thinking about all the tornados that keep striking out us.
I think you have a very strong voice and should elborate on this story. xo

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

What a piece of prose! This flows from the eyes to the mind like a cool trepid river hiding the destructive rapids which lay ahead. The scenery throughout makes this piece pop! I wonder if we will ever pay attention to the language of the earth as she calls for change…

Great Write!
RLG,
Tommy



Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very dark piece...I love it! My own imagery was flashing back and forth from a very literal storm and a much deeper rooted personal anger. Thanks for taking us down this stormy road. Keep up the good work, dear!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

just amazing :) lols wish u could add more..but its still really good.
Its a strong story and scientific(to me) but also with darkness.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very Descriptive and Dark. One comment is you need to work on the Grammar and there are some Non-grammatical mistakes. Your work is really good, so these minor glitches shouldnt affect the overall effect you are trying to produce here, which by the way, i completely felt to the core.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a amazing very well written.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nice indeed.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Short, sharp and to the point. Very descriptive writing which was a joy to read; the oppresive atmosphere was quite pervasive and reinforces the theme nicely. Well written.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wonderfully descriptive and suggestive.... i love the progress towards the metamorphosis, the unheeded changes brought by the terrifying "army of darkness". A prophetic story. Fantastic writing!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This piece is so great! I loved the read immensely and reminds me of the tornado that passed over my home a mere couple of weeks ago. I love the way you took it a step deeper when you made the storm symbolic of something more than a mere storm, "The raging anger signified a permanent twist of fate that was to come; a predicator of life in this world transforming for all preconceptions that people had. Very vivid imagry.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

689 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 5, 2011
Last Updated on June 6, 2011

Author

Poetic Beauty
Poetic Beauty

corn country, IL



About
First off I'm on here to post my writing to have an outlet for my emotions. You will find a variety of poems. If you like take a moment and stroll through this poets mind. Secondly be kind to each .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Pieces Of String Pieces Of String

A Poem by OT


Curious Alice Curious Alice

A Poem by OT