watch that baby purr

watch that baby purr

A Chapter by Emily Dickinson Jr.

    “ Mrs. Linden, may I talk to Hollie about the .... repercussions of gun admiration in private?"

 

    Thinking he would set Hollie straight about what and wasn't appropriate for little girls to like, she practically shoved them both into the back room. Hollie stumbled a bit and scuffed her shiny black shoes. The teacher stalked back to the other kids slamming and locking the door behind her.

 

    She grumbled," Weird, freaky child, blood is horrifying, gruesome, never beautiful! I hope that man sets the girl straight. He looks the practical type after-all."



     After recovering from her near fall Hollie looked up in embarrassment. She expected to see the creepy smile. Inwardly she cringed at the memory. He was smiling, but not the least bit creepily. His smile was warm, almost proud, as it lit up his face. It was making his already fair blond hair seem lighter and somehow angelic on the older man.



    " Hollie, not many little girls like guns, like you do. Did you know that?"

 

She seemed affronted.


    " No, i didn't know. They're nice and pretty and I love them! I'm not in trouble, am I?" she had started to look nervous toward the end.

 

     “ Hollie, I work for the government and, I get to use guns every day."

 

     "Really? That's super cool mister!"

       

     " Hollie, would you like to use my gun?"

 

     "Can, I? you're not joshing me are ya?" 

 

     " No, Hollie, never." 

 

He walked away from the little girl and dug into his leather suit case. He pulled out five targets. He spread each out evenly across the wall opposite the door. He tacked each one up and seemed satisfied with his work. He had quite a smug look on his face while admiring his handiwork.

 

"Hollie do you have a hair-tie? You need a tie if your going to shoot."



    "Yuppie!" shouted Hollie as she scrounged around her pocket until she found a fuzzy pink scrunchie.

 

    She scooped up her brown locks and bound them quickly. She did this so quickly it looked like watching a video on fast-forward from Mr. Johnson’s point of view.

 

   "Done!"

 

She really did look quite different. This was despite the fact she was still a cute, small girl, and despite the fact she had done it with a pink scrunchie. With her hair out of her face her eyes were brighter and sharp like that of a hawk. Her features seemed sharper somehow and more regal. Suddenly, despite her age she seemed many years older and somehow not as childish as before. He took out a shiny silver pistol and whispered to her, " This is a new silent edition pistol. It was made specially for my division. This way, we won't upset your class, understand? I want you to have it Hollie. Even if you're not a good shot. Just promise me, you'll cherish her.”

 

"Kay, I promise Mr. Johnson!"

 

    She didn't understand but she was just happy to be touching a gun for the first time ever and would have said anything to make it happen. He explained to her how to aim and a few safety tip and carefully handed her the pistol. She held it reverently in her baby-soft hands and stroked it like a long-lost friend. She aimed the pistol to the center as the wind was blowing the target and her eyes flashed from soft, hazel to a dreamy acidic shade of green. Something happened.

 

    Instead of shooting the far edge then walking over to each and repeating, as Mr. Johnson had honestly expected, she did something astonishing. She shot the first straight through the center, and in the time it took for the wind to stop fluttering the paper, she had aimed and banged the other four bulls-eyes consecutively; in no particular order. Each was hit in exactly the same place. she just stood placidly and content in front of the first center target, her pistol smoking

 

" By god, she's a sniper!"he gasped.

 

The only response he got was Hollie nuzzling the pistol like a cat would a leg. He could have bet he heard a purr. He would have won that bet.



© 2012 Emily Dickinson Jr.


Author's Note

Emily Dickinson Jr.
I bet you didnt expect this twist after reading the first chapter!!! mwahahaha

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The plot thickens, and I like it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Emily Dickinson Jr.

11 Years Ago

thanx!! Im glad you liked it!! stay tuned! :-)
Well written but as yet still unbelievable!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Emily Dickinson Jr.

11 Years Ago

lol you will seee! mwahahaha
Emily Dickinson Jr.

11 Years Ago

and thanx so much!!
Wow, strikingly-written...the irony is almost overwhelming, which is good lol :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


kublakhan27

11 Years Ago

My pleasure :) Oh yes lol Irony for a writer is like a pet...if you devote enough attention and und.. read more
Emily Dickinson Jr.

11 Years Ago

oh it is it truly is! its my precious lol
kublakhan27

11 Years Ago

lol :)
Such an interesting twisted tale.There are some grammatical errors, but nothing major. Keep penning becuase I will keep reading.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Emily Dickinson Jr.

11 Years Ago

thanx so much. im always glad to hear about ppl enjoying my work! :-)
Again, this could use a second look for proofreading. Like here: 'Even if your not a good shot,' your should be 'you're'. You keep switching Mr. Johnson to Mister Johnson. Try to pick one and keep it consistent.

I feel like they're making what she said in the last chapter into too big of a deal. Kids say things and people usually just brush it off because they don't know any better. It would make sense for them to become worried, but it feels like they're overdoing it. " Weird, freaky child, blood is horrifying, gruesome, never beautiful!" is a but over the top, especially for a woman that works with children nearly everyday.

"He would have won that bet." I actually love this line.

Overall, it just seems so hard to believe that a man who went to their class to talk about gun safety would take a young girl to the back room and let her shoot a gun. I have a hard time believing it.

Just one more thing - this chapter and the previous chapter could easily be put together. There's really no need to separate the two.
I hope this was helpful!



Posted 11 Years Ago


A very good chapter. Little girl have great skill with guns. I like the storyline. You have my complete attention. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


Emily Dickinson Jr.

11 Years Ago

im glad I have your attention coyote!!!
I love Hollie! This type of girls is just so like the type I Love! I feel myself falling in love with her, hahaxd! I want to read more, please continue writing it! I love the way you describe Hollie's change in appearance, and then how amazing she did. Simply wonderful!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Emily Dickinson Jr.

11 Years Ago

I am going to keep writing I plan on writing a new chapter every week. Im rly glad you like hollie .. read more
This is fantastically amazing! I really cannot wait to read more! The way you write this, you make the reader wear Hollie's shoes, though you kind of switch between Mr. Johnson's and Hollie's third-person POV. I'm finding that I can associate with Hollie, which is what makes this really interesting. I especially like the special attention you give to Hollie's eyes and the way they changed color. You drag the reader's attention to a small detail before throwing us into something amazing, which just makes that something amazing that much more, well, amazing.
Keep up the great work,
C. d'Argent

Posted 11 Years Ago


Emily Dickinson Jr.

11 Years Ago

it is mainly about Holly but Mr.johnson's staying as a close second as her mentor-figure
Nina St. Moritz

11 Years Ago

To me, it seems that switching perspectives leaves a sort of immature respect in relation to Hollie,.. read more
Emily Dickinson Jr.

11 Years Ago

great advice!!!
THIS IS SO COOL!! I like Hollie. :) Lol, the last sentence cracked me up, XD

Posted 11 Years Ago


Melody

11 Years Ago

Lol. She also reminds me of myself. The acting innocent but also openly morbid, totally me. Lol. I'm.. read more
Emily Dickinson Jr.

11 Years Ago

Im all original hahaha!
Melody

11 Years Ago

You are. :)
Whoa..this guy hands a four-year-old a pistol?
:O
hehe...something tells me he's a bit on the crazy side.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Emily Dickinson Jr.

11 Years Ago

ooh we'r all a little crazy on the inside! :-D

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

779 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 21, 2012
Last Updated on September 29, 2012


Author

Emily Dickinson Jr.
Emily Dickinson Jr.

FL



About
Im just a highschool girl. Writing is my hobby and I think Im fairly good at it but I leave you to be the judge of that. :-) my best short stories are: http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/poisinros.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Somnolent Moon Somnolent Moon

A Poem by OT