Episode 1

Episode 1

A Chapter by HopelessRomantic

Episode 1

 

Scene 1

(We open in an office. At the desk is Sarai Esperanza, the CEO and President of Esperanza Enterprises. She is going over a report given to her by her financial offices, by her face she doesn't look impressed. At that moment the door opens and in walks Juan Esperanza, her oldest son. He is Vice-President of the company.)

 

Juan

Did you get the report for this past quarter?

 

Sarai

Looking over them right now.

 

Juan

Figures are looking same as last time and the time before that.

 

Sarai

Deadlock isn't good for us at all.

 

Juan

Why not? We're one of the heavyhitters in Houston, we don't have much competition.

 

Sarai

(She hands him a magazine on her desk) Think again

 

Juan

(He looks on the cover of the magazine and sees a young, beautiful woman on the cover with a triumphant smile in front of a new building. The headline reads:

Zahar Rodriguez

Rising Business Star) When did this happen?

 

Sarai

She's been is business for a while now. She takes the companies that are on the brink of going under and revamps them, but she doesn't just help them get back on their feet she maintains ownership and then it belongs to her.

 

Juan

Is she a plausable threat?

 

Sarai

I wouldn't put anything past this woman, first she tried to steal your father away from me, then she wanted the company, and now she's trying to compete.

 

(Then the door to her office opens and her secretary walks in)

 

Secretary

Mrs. Esperanza, your meeting with the associates from Austin is in 10 minutes.

 

 

Sarai

Thank you Vanessa

 

Juan

I highly doubt that Zahar even has a chance getting anywhere close to us. We've been in business since before me or her were born. She may be grabbing the tabloids, but business isn't flashing lights and pretty faces.

 

Sarai

Juan Zahar isn't any of those things. She can play hardball, but we will just play right back with her.

 

(Cut to Zahar's office, she is standing in front of her desk reading the article on her)

 

Zahar

“Sinai Industries has grown from a few small business ventures into a large conglomerate among the business world and is quickly growning in Houston and making its way up.” Oh my this press just gets me flustered. (She laughs as she walks around and takes a seat at her desk) Look out Sarai, I will find a way into that company of yours and your career will be destroyed, not me this time, (her face changes from triumph to anger) not me.

 

(Fade out)

Scene 2

(We're outside of a building, we see the name of the company Valenova Designs in big letters, and a limo pulls up. Out of the limo steps Malory Valenova, the new owner and President of the company. She is dressed very fashionably and walks into the building, then cut to hallway with doors and a desk with a receptionist Malory comes around the corner and the receptionist jumps up)

 

Receptionist

Good morning Ms. Valenova, is there anything I can get for you this morning?

 

Malory

I need you to call Issac down in advertising and tell him that I need the layout for the new line and then I need you to go to Sharpstown and I need these fabrics (hands receptionist a list)

 

Receptionist

Anything else ma'am?

 

Malory

No that's all thank you.

 

 (Malory walks into her office and sets her bag down on the table by the door. She sees a picture of an older woman on her desk and lays it face down on the desk. She then walks to a tray behind her desk and pours herself a small glass of scotch.

 

Malory

Por tu ama

 

(She drinks the glass swiftly, then grabs the entire bottle and starts drinking, she pulls it away and the flavor lingers and she shudders. She then puts the bottle down and takes her seat at her desk, at that moment her door opens and in walks Maria Elizabeth de la Paz, Malory's Vice President and right hand girl)

 

Maria

Ok, I pulled our designs from last year's Venice Rememberance collection and I think that we could go with this again, but revamp it to be a more edgy kinda feel to it.

 

Malory

(takes the sketches) You wanna keep the same colors and patterns?

 

Maria

Probably the patterns but I'm thinking of a more darker, harsh colors for the new line.

 

Malory

I like the idea, I have Issac giving me the ad layouts so I can try to see what our style is going for.

 

Maria

Ok, and are you doing ok?

 

Malory

Ama's death was inevitable, I'm just happy she's with God.

 

Maria

Yes, let me know if you need anything you or Santino.

 

Malory

I think we'll be fine Maria but I'll let you know if I need anything

 

Maria

Ok

 

(We see Malory's face and she seems distressed but hiding it, then cut to an apartment. We see Emilio Esperanza at a table in the living room with files and pictures all over the surface. He takes a picture and puts it into a box behind him, the front door opens and in walks his daughter Alexandria Esperanza. She goes by Allye and she puts down her bag and walks over to her dad)

 

Emilio

Hey sweetheart, how was school?

 

Allye

Boring, everyone kept coming up to me telling me they were sorry and that it was sad that mom died, but they don't know anything.

 

Emilio

Well baby they're just trying to show you they care, you and I both know how you feel but they don't. Don't hold it against them they don't know what else to do.

 

Allye

It gets kinda irritating after awhile.

 

Emilio

Don't worry about it.

 

(Allye suddenly starts tearing up and starts crying and Emilio holds her tearing up too)

 

Allye

(muffled) I miss mom!

 

Emilio

(stiffling) I know sweetheart, me too.

 

(Fade out)

Scene 3

(We're back in Esperanza Enterprises, we see Sarai and a few executives come out of a room smiling and shaking hands)

 

Sarai

Well gentlemen, I am more than happy that you came to me with this great opportunity and I see a great future with our companies.

 

Executive 1

Thank you Mrs. Esperanza, oh and I just read the article on that Ms. Rodriguez and how her business is quickly growing, what do you think of that?

 

Sarai

I think its great to have more companies here in Houston, and I look forward to perhaps working with Ms.Rodriguez.

 

(The executives say their goodbyes and then leave the building, Sarai then rolls her eyes remembering what they said about Zahar and goes into her office and she sees her son Jose in her seat with his feet up on the desk)

 

Jose

Hello mother, how are we doing today?

 

Sarai

I was doing great, what's your need today?

 

Jose

Can't I come and see my mother and see what's happening with my future company?

 

Sarai

No you can't because you never do.

 

 

Jose

Right now lets cut through the crap, I lost the money from last week in a poker game and I need to head out to Barbados for a party, so I need about $500,000

 

Sarai

Son have you even been to your office?

 

Jose

Of course and I still see that large stack of papers and I run right out (laughing)

 

Sarai

Well unfortunately I don't have the checkbook for your funds.

 

Jose

Well who does because I need to get my ticket, new clothes, and find a couple of girls to take with.

 

Juan

(walks in) What do you need now Jose?

 

Jose

I need some money but Sarai gave away my checkbook

 

Juan

No she didn't I have it.

 

Jose

(frustrated) Then may I please have $500,000 for my trip?

 

Juan

No.

 

Jose

Well last I checked the money wasn't yours so just write the check.

 

Juan

No, until you starting actually doing something with your life instead of sleeping around and wasting your trust, I put a hold on all the funds in your account.

 

(Jose gets mad and walks out of the room)

 

Sarai

That was utterly dissapointing

 

Juan

He needed to hear it, I'm tired of him just living off his trust

 

Sarai

Well if this doesn't wake him up then I hope he doesn't do something stupid.

 

(Cut to a nurse's station. We're in St. Thomas Memorial Hospital and in walks Santino Valenova walk in with a nurse right next to him)

 

Santino

Mrs. Johnson in 3a said that she was having some chest pains so I need you to give her a nitroglycerin tablet and then keep an eye on her vitals and see if they change.

 

Nurse

Yes doctor.

 

(The nurse walks away and Santino walks into his office. He walks over to a desk and opens a drawer and pulls out file. He opens it and observes it when the door opens and Maria walks in)

 

Maria

I'm sorry is this a bad time?

 

Santino

No no Maria your ok come on in.

 

(Maria closes the door and walks into his office. She takes a seat in front of Santino's desk)

 

Santino

And to what do I owe this pleasure?

 

Maria

I wanted to check up on you and see how you were doing with everything.

 

Santino

Well I'm going. Malory was a bit shaken up this morning but she got over it. She went to work didn't she?

 

Maria

Yes, she was acting normal.

 

Santino

She doesn't want people to know that she's hurting. Ama always told her No mostrar nunca sus emociones, te hace débil.”

 

Maria

(translating) Never show your emotions, it makes you weak. But she should know that we're here for her.

 

Santino

I doubt that she would let us.

 

Maria

Well if there is anything that I can do to help just let me know.

 

 

Santino

Yo se Maria. And thank you for coming by, I feel a lot better.

 

(Santino and Maria both get up as he walks her to the door. They both reach for the doorknob and their hands touch. They stay still for a moment then Maria slowly pulls away and Santino opens the door for her and she walks out. Then cut to Juan's office in Esperanza Enterprises. His door suddenly bursts open and Jose walks in)

 

Jose

Ok now listen to me. My trust is my trust it doesn't matter how I use it, but you will not hold my money back from me.

 

Juan

Don't think that you can come into my office and talk to me like I'm one of your deadbeat friends! Your trust fund is now under my control, if you even want to see a dollar of it again you will straighten up and start making something of your life.

 

Jose

What do you want me to do? Work here at this god awful place and be bossed around by you and Sarai? No thank you, and if I remember correctly Sarai is the only person who can execute my trust, not you!

 

Juan

Mother gave me the trust because she's tired of you just wasting all of it, and unlike mother I don't just give in.

 

Jose

You are gonna regret this. I will be back later and if I don't have a check for me, you won't be happy with me.

 

Juan

Don't try to threaten me Jose (he stands up and looks him dead in the eye) if you think that you can convince me to give you money by throwing a fit think again. I control your trust now and until you straighten up you will not see anything from it.

 

Jose

(walks towards the door then turns around) This ain't over

 

(Jose walks out and Juan sits down)

 

(Fade out)

Scene 4

(We see Zahar enter a little coffee shop, she goes to the front desk and orders a cappucino. On the other side we see Sarai walk in and she takes a seat at the bar, looking through her phone. Zahar turns and sees her and walks over to her with her head high)

 

 

Zahar

So did you happen to read the article about me in Houston Business Monthly?

 

Sarai

(not looking at her) Yes and as usual by anything you do I was nauseous.

 

Zahar

You know you think that everyone in this town thinks so highly of you, but the truth is that there are people out there that think of you the way I do: A cold, useless person that would be doing the world a favor if she went away.

 

Sarai

(turns towards Zahar) I know the people who think of me that way. Each one of them are the lowlifes like you that tried to mess with me and got destroyed. You however went one step higher than them and tried to hit me where it hurt. You slept with John and tried to get him to divorce me, but you didn't succeed because I made it not happen. You tried to claim you were pregnant with John's child and wanted a piece of the company and we found you out. So, try to take up as many companies as you can and sleep around with anyone you want and try to look good, but you won't work. You were never a threat to me and now you think you can stand up to me well I have news for you. (she stands up facing Zahar)

 

Zahar

Sarai I am not your assistant anymore. You don't scare me.

 

Sarai

Well you should be, and congratulations on your new company, lets see if it fails like your love life.

 

(A waiter comes to Sarai and gives her a to go bag, she takes it and thanks him. Then leaves without looking at Zahar. Zahar takes her cappuccino and storms out. Cut to Malory's office, she is looking at various drawings and holding cloths up on a mannequin. Maria walks in and brings more designs with her)

 

Maria

I found the sketches you asked for.

 

Malory

Oh thank you, come here and look at this.

 

Maria

(walks over to her) Your thinking the steel and black together?

 

Malory

Yes, and then we could try to make the accessories the only color in the collection.

 

Maria

I think it could work.

 

Malory

Send the idea downstairs and have the sewers put it together so we can see a physical view.

 

Maria

Ok, and you want me to stop by advertising for the name?

 

Malory

No I have it already

 

Maria

What did we get.

 

Malory

Steel Uprising

 

Maria

Sounds good

 

(Malory nods and sits down at her desk. Maria walks out and Malory turns around and grabs the scotch bottle and starts drinking, but finishes it. She gets mad and throws it across the office shattering it against the wall. She then pulls out her phone and dials a number)

 

Malory

Chloe, its Malory, is Corrs still throwing that party tonight? Ok good tell him to expect me and I'm ready to have fun.

 

(Fade out)

Scene 5

(We are in Emilio's apartment and he is in the kitchen cooking dinner and Allye comes down and sits down at the table)

 

Emilio

You feeling better mija?

 

Allye

Yeah, just needed to let some of my sadness out.

 

Emilio

Well to help you I made your favorite.

 

Allye

(smiling) Not fishsticks and mac and cheese?

 

Emilio

(puts down a plate in front of her with everything she listed) Only the best

 

Allye

(laughs and starts eating) Mmmmmm, I miss this.

 

Emilio

(coming out of the kitchen) Yeah, we've been on the takeout train haven't we?

 

 

Allye

Yeah, but luckily I have Jason.

 

Emilio

(suddenly catches her attention) Jason?

 

Allye

Yeah, my new boyfriend

 

Emilio

Oh....you have a boyfriend

 

Allye

Yes dad, you know I'm 16 now not 6.

 

Emilio

Well as long as he's nice

 

Allye

I've known him since middle school

 

Emilio

Well he'll have to come by so I can meet him

 

(Allye smiles but Emilio has a worried look on his face, cut to Zahar's office and she is going through her files and her Vice President Rachel Martinez walks in)

 

Raquel

We are getting a lot of press from that article

 

Zahar

It seems to be doing the job I thought it would

 

Raquel

I have a list of potential stockholders and the price they're willing to give for a piece

(hands Zahar the list)

 

Zahar

(looking) And from what I see then we are gonna be in good shape for this coming fiscal year

 

Raquel

Yes we are, oh and I am currently talking with the LA houses to see what we would need to open up here

 

Zahar

Good

 

(At that moment Jose walks in, he sees Zahar and walks over to her desk)

 

Zahar

Who the hell are you?

 

Jose

It would seem that you wouldn't remember the only Esperanza child who was nice to you while your affair with my father

 

Zahar

Oh yes your Jose, well what the hell do you want?

 

Raquel

I'll just talk to you later

 

(Rachel leaves and Jose sits down in front of the desk)

 

Zahar

Now what exactly are you doing here?

 

Jose

Money

 

Zahar

In case you haven't noticed this isn't a bank

 

Jose

I have something of great value to you

 

Zahar

No I don't take well to men who can't gamble

 

Jose

(is shocked by her comment, then gets over it) No I have something that you could use to your advantage

 

Zahar

What would that be?

 

Jose

I have 25% ownership over Esperanza Enterprises, and it's one of the only things I have complete control over. I have no use for it and I am in need of money, so my proposition to you is that I will give you my shares of Esperanza Enterprises, for $5 million dollars

 

(Zahar doesn't show her expression but her eyes light up at the thought of owning a quarter of the company)

 

Zahar

Why would you do this? This company could be yours, but you are actually willing to give me your share?

 

Jose

On two conditions

 

Zahar

Name them

 

Jose

I want $5 million dollars and a wife

 

Zahar

Wife?

 

Jose

Yes..........you.

 

(Zahar's jaw drops and we fade out)

 



© 2012 HopelessRomantic


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very well written script, a good begining to the story and a nice introduction to your characters and there attitudes. I like the unexpected twist at the end, the vengence in the son's idea's and the possiblitys. I am excited to read more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ahahaha the end was perfect! I liked this... but did I miss something? May want to write a quick synopsis if you haven't already... is a little confusing at first. :) Good job though!

Posted 11 Years Ago


awww i love the last part ....cant wait to read more ..=)

Posted 11 Years Ago


HopelessRomantic

11 Years Ago

I'm posting all the ones I have

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

394 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 12, 2012
Last Updated on July 12, 2012


Author

HopelessRomantic
HopelessRomantic

Houston, TX



About
I am currently a college student in Houston, Texas. I attend Houston Baptist University receiving a Bachelor of Arts in History with a minor in English. I have always enjoyed reading and writing and a.. more..

Writing