Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Scott Kelly
"

www.FrightenedBoy.com

"

Prologue"Three Worlds

2056. Banlo Bay (formerly Houston)

 

The plaque in front of me was engraved with the words "Survival is triumph enough."

I ran my hand over the side of the wall, feeling the ridge where brick met mortar.  I hadnt planned on coming"shouldnt have, but it was on my way, and the Banlo Bay Historical Sites Committee sent a nice letter inviting the survivors to their memorial. It was a single salvaged wall of the orphanage, each brick inscribed with the name of a kid who died here.  The grand opening of a gravesite.

The sentiment was stupid. The telltale signs of decay creep in only a few blocks down; this monument shouldve been real wall and not some bauble. Still, bystanders gathered to admire the carnage that occurred here years ago, as though it was some long-forgotten history.

Sorry, a woman mumbled as she stepped on my toe. 

Sorry, I counter-apologized.

The misstep pressed her shoulder against my chest, her head below my chin. Hadnt been this close to another person in years. Her scent struck me: fresh-cut petals of lavender or lilac or something.  The nearness, the sensation was dizzying"rusted departments of my brain cranked into shambling frenzy. 

I moved away, then turned to watch her.  Big brown eyes perplexed with gloom, a chocolate brown ponytail and tanned skin. She looked confused about being sad. Survivor guilt was baffling.

She must have ran, like me. She must have felt the danger in the air and snuck past the caretakers who thought corralling us inside the building would be safer. She must have sprinted across the grounds only to turn and see swarms of thirsty, terrified people force their way into the only building with running water and electricity for miles. Then she must have seen it burn.

Bang.

The start of a twenty-one gun salute.  I flinched so hard I nearly inverted. 

Policemen in black coats shot their weapons into the sky as a sign of respect and surrender.  The way things were going, though, Im guessing the ritual had new meaning to the firing squad.  They were taking shots at God for all this s**t luck.

The crowd grew, people stepped out the small shops that lined the street. Downtown Banlo Bay filled the horizon, a gleaming glass city. When you could see that skyline, it meant you were safe. Relatively, anyway.

Enough of this. Id die someday too, and I wouldnt even get a brick to show for it.

Was it wrong to be jealous of a burnt orphan corpse? 

At last, the policemen lowered their rifles, loads blown and chambers empty.  The fireworks were over. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something suspicious: a Stranger. Someone who didnt belong; someone wrapped in a trench coat, towering over those around him. Gloves, scarf. Not an inch of flesh revealed. Conspicuously inconspicuous.  He wore a tall hat with a wide brim, some kind of black Victorian thing, mottled with moth bites and burn marks.  Everyone was politely avoiding him.  You never talked to Strangers, and this guy was definitely strange. 

But I was aware of the danger.  A Stranger was the worst thing in the world to be standing in the middle of a crowded bunch of upright citizens. 

I made my way to the back of the crowd, slipping through the crowd as it closed in on the memorial.

The sound of shooting returned suddenly in stereo and was a chaotic, arrhythmic mess.  People started screaming.

I turned in time to see the Stranger in the trench coat and hat firing an assault rifle into the air. Throughout the crowd, three more men in similar clothes began firing upwards, just mocking the salute, spinning in place and peppering the sky with ammunition.

Strangers, f*****g with people again, pushing the world past the brink.

Someone bumped into me, then another, pushing me onward.  In the crowd in front of me, people were trying to turn and run.  Tension rose.  More gunshots. Havoc was cried, and the dogs were loosed.  The wall of flesh in front of me expanded like a lung, forcing me into the mass of squirming bodies trying to escape.

Not my first mob. The only way to survive was to be the fastest rat in the swarm. I turned and ran. Some of the people I pushed passed were standing up on their toes, trying to see what was going on, trying to see if it was anything serious.

Gunfire was always serious.  I looked at their faces and I saw cadavers.  Curiosity was a luxury; these were sparse times. The smart ones were running with me.  We collided like atoms; the crowd reached critical mass, and I was at the crest of a great upset.

Then I was caught, so suddenly my arms whipped out in front of me. My leg was trapped between two bodies trying to smash through the same space"I jerked at, trapped animal, losing my shoe in the process.  Anything not to get trampled.

My struggles were successful; I broke free. Not too far ahead was a break in the road where the crowd could thin out.  I focused on it, ignoring everything around me. 

The nice-smelling woman, the one who stepped on my foot, screamed.  I watched her go down hard as an older lady behind her used the young brunette for balance.

The pretty girls hand shot out and grabbed my ankle; her fingers clenched my foot.  My shoe was gone, and I could feel her cold skin. My first female contact in years. 

She was already on the ground, lost.  I jerked my leg out of her grip with manic strength; she was beyond saving.  Lilacs and lavender had no place on the streets of Banlo Bay.  Her face was twisted with terror; another cadaver.  I just turned and ran.  Heroics were a luxury. 

 




© 2012 Scott Kelly


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

“Survival is triumph enough.” That’s what I’d want my brick to say, but I’m ineligible.

that is a wicked opening line, new friend. and it continues onto a very gripping start to the novel. it explains just enough so the reader isn't too confused to want to continue, but not so much that it summarises the novel before we even get to it. that is a pandemic on this site.. i prefer to have the story enfold before me, not to read the cliff notes first. lol

anyways, you have some incredibly tight images in the body of this that are incredible.. the clouds of fear etc.

for some reason tho (probably just a matter of personal aesthetics) i'd like to see the last two lines switched. maybe it's just my poet self in action, but it seems to flow better. "Heroics are a luxury" is a far better ending point than the bus ride..

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The wall of flesh in front of me is expanding like a lung.

Such a beautifully simple image. It's going to take me a while, but I'm definitely reading all of this. Let me know when it's available to buy. So worth it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Yep. I'm officially jealous. This is amazing. I'm reading this whole thing.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow so full of action andgreat detail! i can tell this is going to be a good book! Loved it! :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice polished chapter. I loved the line "Is it wrong to be jealous of a burnt orphan corpse?" This was definitely a good first chapter.  


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


The prologue does a fantastic job of displaying everything that is going to happen in the book. Erika is introduced, Strangers attacking, Clark runs, and everyone seems to have the fear of Little Brother in them.
It does it jobs of introducing the dystopia society the main character lives in. A great example is how Clark leaves a pretty girl -- Ericka -- to be trampled to death by the horde without a second thought.
"Is it wrong to be jealous of a burnt orphan corpse? " is probably one of the most gruesome lines I've ever read. You have all kinds of unique lines like this through out the book, which is astounding.


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


this is a great begininng you make the reader ask what next. Which is the writers only job.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great beginning... subtly descriptive, great character development, and very interesting plot unfolding already. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


"The fragrance invades my nostrils like the breath of life from a freshly smashed orange"

Ah, something different and intriguing. Most novels I read would just describe scents as 'Sweet'. But you really brought something different and I liked it.

"She looks like someone who hasn’t been sad in a while and is confused about what to do with the feeling."

Raw description rather than using metaphors or similes (Quite contrary from the one quoted above). You really are great in arranging the words in the best order.

I must say I expected some disaster to happen, and it did.. :) A nice prologue.. :) I'll read the rest gradually.. :)



This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great hook, almost obligates me to finish the novel

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I wanted to go against everyone else and give you a helpful review with constructive criticism, but now I see why there hasn't been one. It's pretty much perfect.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

940 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 16, 2010
Last Updated on January 5, 2012
Previous Versions


Author

Scott Kelly
Scott Kelly

Austin, TX



About
I've written novels most of my life - I finished my first one when I was fifteen. It sucked; so did the next two or three. Then I went to college and got a degree in English and slowly my novels got b.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Just Wright Just Wright

A Poem by Crowley


Get Lost! Get Lost!

A Poem by Lightfalls


Paralyzed Paralyzed

A Poem by Rose Tyler


Muse Muse

A Poem by Robin