Chapter Three: In The Devil's Shoes

Chapter Three: In The Devil's Shoes

A Chapter by Short.Nerd

I popped into an apartment I've never before seen.  It was a nice apartment , the kitchen was painted a light tealish-blue.  There was a white refridgerator with a matching dishwasher and stove.  The floors were tiled and the color of an off white.

 

I heard a voice I would never forget.  Carter.  She was walking across the living room to the front door with a guy I've never before seen.  I knew it wasn't Jayden though.  They weren't even close to looking alike.

 

This guy had long dark brown hair that went to his shoulders.  His eyes were the color of storm clouds, a dark grey.  He was about 5 foot 9 inches, and muscular.  He was wearing a bright blue Hollister shirt and dark black jeans with holes.

 

When they got to the door she hugged him goodbye.  He smiled a slightly crooked smile, and left walking down the hall with his hands in his pockets.   Carter smiled at him  as she watched him leave.

 

When I knew the guy wasn't coming back, and Carter shut the door, I knew I couldn't be silent anymore.  I needed to speak to her, and know what was going on.  And I had to know who this guy was that just left where I assumed she lived.

 

"Who was that?"  I asked looking at Carter.  She had a little extra meat on her hips, but she looked stunning still.  Her black hair was a little shorter than it was than when she was a younger.  Carter's brown eye were bigger and just as beautiful as they were before.  She didn't have braces anymore either, and her smile was straight, white, and perfect.

 

Carter looked at me and smiled.  She ran and embraced me into a hug.  It had been so long since I've been hugged.  Since I've felt as if someone loved me.  Maybe coming to see Carter, and hopefully Jayden,  was exactly what I needed.

 

"That was Jamie's boyfriend, Ace."  Carter said in a more grown up voice instead of sounding like her natural teenage self.  "He wanted to know if I would help him buy Jamie a birthday present next week. But what are you doing here?  I haven't seen you in 8 years!"

 

I let out a sigh of relief.  So this guy wasn't her boyfriend.  I felt ashamed that I would doubt that Carter would move on from Jayden.  I knew from the day I saw them together in the tattoo parlor that they would be together forever.

 

I smiled at Carter next.  She acted as if I were still alive and an old friend instead of me being a Devil now.  It felt nice to have a happy reaction towards me instead of a frightened or worried one.

 

"I.. I have no idea.  I just really need to see my best friends."  I answered shaking my head which made my black hair flop around some.  My green-grey eyes probably looked pitiful  "How are things with you and Jayden?"

 

As I asked this I heard a crying sound come from the next room over.  I looked at Carter, who had released from her hug, and she was grinning ear to ear.  She had something up her sleeve.

 

"Hold on.  I'll be right back."  Carter said running to another room of her apartment.  I smiled feeling a little better about everything that was going on.  I noticed Carter was wearing gray sweatpants and a white t-shirt. 

 

After a minute in her arms I saw a little boy bundled up in a black shirt that said Lock Up Your Daughters.  Then I saw Jayden and felt a little sad.  From where his right arm should be, dangled an empty sleeve.  When I saw what was in his good arm I smiled and forgot about being sad.  In his arm he held a little girl with a pink shirt and a yellow flower on it.

 

The little boy Carter was holding had her black hair and a little button nose.  He had Jayden's ice-blue eyes.  It was the perfect mixture of the two of them.  The little boy was adorable.

 

The little girl had Jayden's dirty blond hair and Carter's big brown eyes.  She had little fingers, and little toes.  I could already tell that she was going to be a complete Daddy's girl and that Jayden would be wrapped around her little finger.

 

"Nice to be seeing you, Tad."  Jayden said smiling.  His voice was deeper than it was 8 years ago.  His dirty blond hair was cut shorter and looked more professional.  "There are two people we want you to meet."

 

"This is Emerson Reese," Jayden said balancing the little girl in his one good arm. Emerson looked at me with wide eyes. "But we call her Em or Emmie."

 

I looked at the little girl who was smiling up at Jayden.  I knew that Jayden would have his hands full with her.  She was going to have all the boys chasing her down one day.

 

"And this is her twin brother, Tyler Alexander Demetrius."  Carter said smiling at me and looked up at her startled.  "But we've been calling him Ty, or Tad."  My crazy friends actually named a kid after me.

 

"Well it looks like you two got busy while I was gone."  I joked backing away and seeing what I pictured 8 years ago when we were baby sitting Carter's young siblings.  Her and Jayden had both been holding one of Carter's twin brothers and sitting on the couch.  I told them they looked like a little family.  And now they had one of their own.

 

Carter reached over and slapped me on the head playfully.  I noticed on her left hand ring finger that there was a small gold ring with a little diamond on it.  So they had gotten married too.

 

"So you two tied the knot too!"  I said pointing to her finger and grinned.  "Carter Rae Silver.  I think I like the sound of that."

 

Jayden started walking over towards the couch and sat down, Carter and I did the same.  The couch was an golden-yellow and was very comfortable.  The cushions were soft, and it was perfect to sleep on.

 

"I tried calling you like I did with The Devil, but it never worked."  Carter said pouting a little.  "I called right after you left that one day after I was home from the hospital, I called when Jayden and I were getting married, and I called when I found we were pregnant.  You never answered."

 

I felt really guilty.  I had heard Carter trying to call out to me, but I never answered them.  I thought if I went to her and Jayden I wouldn't be able to leave again.  I was afraid that they would be ashamed of what I turned into.

 

"I'm sorry, I just couldn't come back."  I answered looking down at my knees.  "The Devil told me I couldn't be a major part of your lives anymore.  He said that I had to stay away."

 

Carter fell silent and held on to her little boy tight.  He started to wiggle around and making little cooing sounds.  It was another little Tad that entered this world.  My father's name was Tyler Alexander Demetrius, and so was his father.  It was an old name that everyone expected to be passed on forever. 

 

"We understand, Tad."  Jayden said just like I iknew he would.  Jayden and I understood each other perfectly eve since our first day at baseball camp together.  Jayden was one of the youngest guys there, but also one of the best.  For a scrawny ten year old kid he could hit the ball.  He ended up being one of my room mates, and he slept above me on the top bump. It's a strange way to get to know someone, but you it really does work.  Knowing someone is above, or in Jayden's case, below helps you get to know them.

 

"So how old are Mini Tad and Emmie?"  I asked changing the subject.  I wanted to discuss something happy rather than how depressing it is that I'm a Devil and missed important moments in my best freind's lives.

 

"They are 3 months old today."  Carter answered like any proud mother would.  Just seeing how happy she was made me know that I did the right thing.  Even though I hated it. 

 

"And you two have been married 6 years?" I guessed figuring Carter was 24 at the time and Jayden was 26.  "Oh wait I forgot!  You two have been attatched at the hip since like age 5.  So maybe more like 20 years."

 

Carter stuck her tongue out at me.  She still had part of her teenage self living in her.  Jayden grinned ear to ear just like he would back in the good ol' days.  It felt as if we were back to that time.

 

"Your wrong there. We've been attatched by the hip since age 3!"  Jayden replied laughing like his oldself.  "And we've been married for four years, for your information."

 

"Well congratulations."  I said.

 

"Why are you really hear?"  Carter asked with her eyebrows raised in a very suspicouis way.  I knew that was coming.  When we were younger I always was the jokester, the one who never had issues.  Guess it was my turn to come to them for help with my problems.  "I'm glad you're hear and everything, but there has to be a reason Tad."

 

"Because I'm absolutely screwed."  I answered shaking my head.  "A god damn Cupid showed up as I was about to make a deal with a girl named Ashtyn.  She's trying to bring happiness back into her life, and wants me to butt out."

 

"What's a Cupid?"  Jayden asked as Carter's eyes started darting around the room.  I knew this would be awkward for her, but I needed to hear an opinion from her.  "And why can't you just let this girl go?"

 

"It's someone who brings love to people's life.  They're almost like angels.  The one I'm dealing with is a red head teenager with an attitude.  She's a major pain."  If I would have known that Arabelle was going to pop up and make making deals even harder, I think I would have just tried shooting The Devil rather than replacing him.  Good thing I wasn't pyschic back then.  "And if I leave the girl alone I'm gonna risk the Head Devil coming after Carter and myself."

 

"I thought Rae was out of this mess."  Jayden said full of concern.  Yeah, I thought she was out of everything too.  But apparently not.  As soon as Carter's Devil was gone and I took his place, the Head Devil and I had a little chat.  Here's a little information for ya, he isn't the friendliest guy around.

 

"I don't care if I'm in this mess."  Carter interjected and I looked at her.  Jayden and I had been talking about her as if she wasn't even here.  I hated when people did that to me, and I bet she hated it too.  "Maybe you should just leave this girl alone."

 

"You should care.  You have two children that need you, and Jayden.  Plus you have your younger brothers and siblings still too."  I told her firmly.  I didn't want her getting any ideas.  Knowing her she would go and do something drastic that was selfless and good.   I knew neither Jayden nor I wanted her to do that at the moment.  "And I would leave the poor girl alone, but I can't.  You deserve the life you have with Jayden.

 

"I agree with Tad.  So don't go getting any ideas."  Jayden told her in a very serious voice.  Whenever it came to Carter and her wellbeing he was always serious.  If it were up to him she wouldn't have a hair on her head hurt.  "You're needed here.  There has to be another way.

 

"So what are you going to do, Tad?  Go around and be The Devil when you're clearly miserable?"  Carter asked me getting up from the couch with Mini Tad in her arms looking slightly drowsy.   I think she was ignoring Jayden at the moment. "Because I refuse to let you do that for any longer."  She looked down at the sleeping child in her arms and over to Emmie, who was also asleep.  "I'm going to put them in their cribs."

 

Somehow, when Carter managed both her children in her arms she stormed off to what I assumed was the nursery or their bedroom.  I wasn't too sure at the moment.  When she was out of hearing distance Jayden spoke.

 

"So what the hell are you going to do and how can I help?"  Jayden asked me as I cracked a smile.  How did I manage to stay away from him  and Carter Rae for so long?

 

"I don't know, man.  Like I said, part of me thinks I'm absolutely screwed."

 

 



© 2011 Short.Nerd


Author's Note

Short.Nerd
Ignore grammar mistakes please. I didn't have time to go through and double check it. THanks:)

So was it too soon to bring Carter and Jayden back in?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love the spin off of the original. Im so curious how Jayden lost his arm. Was it in the last book in the car crash and I just missed it?
anyways. Great chapter. good descriptions.

Posted 13 Years Ago


i thinnk it was bit early, maybe could have had him observe ashytn bit more, have him run into a problem and then visit carter rae. Aw, they got married! ^^ Reading on!

Posted 13 Years Ago


AWWW THEIR MARRIED AND HAVE KIDS :D it wasnt to early i loved this chapter i still feel bad that Jayden doesnt have an arm but i cant wait for more let me know when you go more up :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


No good timing. I cried a little when they revealed the twins. Good job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


No, good time. But...The grammar mistakes, hear is a homonym. I think you need here? Anyways, good chapter.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

397 Views
5 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 11, 2011
Last Updated on April 12, 2011


Author

Short.Nerd
Short.Nerd

About
www.facebookblast.com THIS PAGE IS UNDER CONTRUCTION DON"T JUDGE IT! Thanks, :) -------------------Girls----------------------- --------------are like apples---------------- ---------on trees... more..

Writing