Odds: Succession (8) | Epherum

Odds: Succession (8) | Epherum

A Chapter by Stasis

"Ala," I call from the mat near our empty fireplace.


No response.


I let out a heavy sigh.


I have no idea what to say after all of that.


There’s nothing to say.


“Ala,” I repeat. “We’re going to get our thrones back. Soon,” I tell her. “Soon, we’ll head back with an army and save our parents.”


The walls rebound a lonely echo.


No sound from my sister.


I can’t bear to tell her the truth about the situation.


I’m having a hard time myself.


Lying, staring, breathing, cold. This isn’t the truth for us.


If I could turn back time…


How could I have known?


There was not an inkling of warning in that assassination.


Assassination…


Usually, there are measures to prevent this from happening.


Usually…


There must be a bug. A worm. A snake among our troops.


A snake…


I pull myself up from the cold and empty floorspace. I sit in a quiet rage


I’m pissed.


I stealth over to my sister and pull my coat from the foot of the couch.


She’s conked.


Hm.


Of course, she deserves that rest.


I bet it’s comfy.


More comfortable than straight stone.


But that must suck.


An almost comfortable rest is even worse than an uncomfortable one.


I rest my hand on her shoulder and look upon her troubled expression.


Even through sleep.


If anything, I have to reclaim the throne for her.


Her alone is enough.


I look across the room from my sister to the boy we rescued.


More importantly, I look at his bed.


The bed Ala and I used to share in better times.


Better times.


Lucky b*****d…


I carefully slip on my coat and inch toward the back door.


The hinges aren’t the best and provide me the longest minute of my life trying to open it.


I should ask Khali to fix these…


I head outside and spend an even longer minute closing the door.


I should ask Nen over, instead. Another issue for another day.


I head to a hill nearby and sit on the branch of a wild-looking tree.


The view overlooks the water, near the barrier of De’Lores.


Calm.

It’s calm inside the barrier.


Outside of it, I can see the ocean’s rage.


I drop from the branch and lean back against the trunk.


Finally, a little treat.


I pull a bottle of pomegranate juice from the inside pocket of my coat.


I chew the cork from it, spit it out, and take a swig.


At least the water is good here.


Very good.


Our water is decent but the rest of the world has to deal with alcohol.


Gross.


I feel bad for those who can’t manage a bottle of this.


The juice is so powerful that it refreshes my mind.


It keeps me in the present while presenting memories I’d rather forget.


No.


Memories I’d rather overcome.


I will overcome.



“Eph,” Aquata calls from the door. “Seems to be a storm! Come inside, my Prince.”


I suppose I’ve done enough physical training for today. 24 hours seems to be enough but I have to get better with my schedule.


I ponder the suggestion as I assist my sparring partners from the floor.


“How long until construction is complete on our room indoors,” I ask Ghaer as I pull her up.


“A week more, my friend,” she grabs my shoulder.


“Ah.” I think to myself. “Indoors! The lot of you,” I call.


“Don’t have to tell me thrice,” Ghaer punches the leather at my shoulder and leads the others back to the castle.


She’s cool. It’s impressive she can keep up with the physical strain during the days we train for swordplay. I’d suppose I should expect no less from the daughter of a tyrant.


I begin undressing the armour as our session comes to an end. I hand them over to Aquata and Wylt at the doors. “Thank you,” I pat them on their arms and welcome myself to the warm atmosphere inside. I look back to the two, uncomfortable with the weather - cold and shifting around on the spot to keep warm. ”Get in,” I tell them. “You’ll have nothing more to watch over.”


“Epherum, my son.”


I turn and notice my father honing closer.


“And how was your study today?”


He holds my shoulder and pats my back. “Getting sturdy?”


“Uh…” I don’t understand what he’s telling me sometimes. I don’t even think he does.


“Yeah,” I agree. “I’ll try my hand at polearms tomorrow.”


“Ah,” Dad nods his head. “You’re excelling rather quickly. I believe I was 18 when I trained with a staff fashioned with my own two hands. Hm,” he giggles. “Back when I had two hands.”


I’m glad to keep ahead of him with weapon study and techniques.


“I imagine you’re just as well with your readings, then?”


I suppose I should be glad that Ala is ahead of him with that.


“Oh, leave him,” my mother calls from her throne to my right. “Our Epherum will take his time, and so will our dearest Ala.”


“Ah. You’re completely correct,” Dad pats me on the back and moves to join her. “You’re both doing well enough - there’s no reason for me to be checking in so much. It’s rather exciting, is all.”


I step forward as Aquata and Wylt pull the doors closed. My parents turn over to me with raised eyebrows.


“Don’t you think this storm’s picking up rather quickly?” I ask them. “I feel we should provide shelter for those without.”


Dad nods while Mother readies her voice. “Quite right. Caram,” Mother calls as she wraps around from my sister’s direction. “Please, call in our sentries posted outside for a moment. Until the storm passes, everybody should find somewhere to be.”


“Yes,” Dad adds. “Perhaps, we can use this moment to enjoy a banquet. Our “thanks” to those dedicated to protecting our family.”


“Thank you, Caram,” I thank her as I pass by in the direction of my quarters.


“Yes, thank you, Caram,” I hear my parents join.


“I will pass the message to Innie,” I hear Caram negotiate. “I was to relieve her minutes ago.”


The castle is filled with flashes before the thunder begins.


Loud.


Damn loud.


I turn and the flashes continue. But, this “flash” lasts a second.


An entire second.


A second too long.


Ala will hate this, she’s always scared of the thunder. She used to be.


A deafening thunder hits the castle with a blast that knocks many of us off our feet.


Loud.


Too loud.


From my knee, I throw myself forward and rush toward Ala’s room.


I’m pushed to the ground again as the thunder hits another crescendo. I fall against Caram.


“You’re all right, my Prince. I gotcha,” I barely hear her shout.


“Everyone,” Mother stands from her throne.


She falls through the floor.


We’re perplexed.


There’s too much to think about.


A warrior falls from the roof and lands in front of my father before driving a blade through the throne. His Throne. His Heart.


There’s too much to think about.


I feel the world stop.


Unfortunately, it doesn’t.


I stare on as the intruder turns to present himself while Caram tries to get my attention.


I don’t know how much time is passing.


I don’t know if time is passing.


I don’t know.


Somebody pulls me by the hood and I feel myself being dragged backwards.


I’m lifted and carried down toward Ala’s room.


I watch on as a woman lowers herself from drapes. She lowers herself from the roof, with my mother in her arms.


She places my mother's lifeless body on her throne.


What’s going on?


“Ala!”


I’m rushed inside her room - empty, dark. I notice her at her desk as I’m put beside her.


I fail to understand much as Caram speaks down to us but, looking across to my sister, it’s time for me to step up.


Even if I fail to understand anything…


We’re escorted to her closet and Caram pulls the key from her necklace. With haste, she throws open the drawer and unlocks a hidden passage through the back.


Caram places the key in Ala’s palm and closes her fingers. She pushes us in and down some stairs.


I help my sister as she trips down the last few.


I fall to my knee.


We look back to Caram. She holds her fist to her heart and see’s us off. She clicks her fingers to light the candles on the walls and slams the closet tight.


Quiet.


Even if I fail to understand anything.


Quiet.


It’s time for me to step up.


My ears settle to my sister worried sick about what’s happening.


“... What is this key for? Why did Caram throw us in here? It’s just a storm, right? Right?”


Quiet.


I place my hands on either side of her closed fist.


“I got you.”


I force a smile.


“I got you.”






| Author’s Notes |


~ Happenings ~

Epherum believes there’s a snake among the troops.

De’Lores isn’t popular for its pomegranate juice, but maybe that’s for the best. A loved beverage worldwide with an addictive flavour and fizz.

The King has one arm. I wonder if there’s a story behind that… Actually, nevermind all that.

“Heart” is capitalised because any good ruler knows their thrones are tied to their hearts. A Kingdom is as sacred as a King’s body. A Queendom is as sacred as a Queen’s body.

As rulership goes in our World, a King outranks a Queen. In this World, both are equally matched.

“Everyone” was to be followed up with “I have an announcement to make.” Yes, I did think that was still funny, even years later.

The King and Queen are killed rather swiftly. For the Kingdom of Kingdoms, that was kinda easy.

Khali was meant to be down in the dungeon to fight off the royals. I recycled the scene.


~ Characters ~

Epherum: Prince of Nyrin.

Ghaer: Epherum’s sparring partner. His "spartner".

Aquata: Defender of Nyrin.

Wylt: Defender of Nyrin.

King: King of Nyrin.

Queen: Queen of Nyrin.



© 2023 Stasis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

18 Views
Added on June 15, 2023
Last Updated on July 8, 2023