Cross: For The Best (13) | Onnie

Cross: For The Best (13) | Onnie

A Chapter by Stasis

In an instant, I feel my soul jump back through the stone behind me, and the immediate danger feels distant.


Too distant.


I feel the release of binds of my own and become an observer of my actions.


Bug bashes the ground and roars into my eyes before revealing a bejewelled sickle in his grip.


In a swift movement, he blunts the blade across the ground before his swing lunges into me.


Somehow, I managed to defend myself as his attack is halted by a claw.


A claw?


I stare bewildered for a moment before I turn back to him and grab his neck with my arm. My arm turns to a dark shade of blue with dark claws forming at my fingertips.


With my other fist, I punch him across the room.


I can't feel a thing.


My body feels limp.


I watch myself crawl toward him with utmost speed, and stand over him while he looked back and pleaded.


I pull him by the foot and swing him around.


I begin growling and let off a deafening scream that leaves my ears ringing.


I release him overhead and he flies to the entrance. His energy dies as his head impacts a cornerstone.


I crawl to him once more and pull him by his head while he remains lifeless on his stomach.


My wings from behind my back wrap around his body and I dig my claws into his chest.


With both hands, I snap the hobgoblin's neck while ripping his chest open with my claws.


I desecrate the fiend for a while too long, bashing its body around and making a total mess.


I feel sick.


Was this the will of my deity? Or my own?


It's only when I begin to devour his body that I feel my consciousness return.


I freeze for a moment.


I fall onto my side and vomit a puddle onto the ground. It splashes on my sleeve and pools against my pants.


I roll onto my back and allow my limbs to spread out for a little.


With a foul drool down my cheek, my eyes drift about. I notice my shirt is torn.


The stone is cold against my bare back.








"I-I should... get home."


"Of course," I tell Quaua as the lot of us sit in a ring around the sprinkles of fire. "Yours is probably a lot better than mine."


Quaua looks to be about twice my age. She reminds me of Marianna.


"Lucky," Ogio forces a smile. "Nobody would miss me."


Ogio looks about as old as her too. He reminds me of Lars.


I draw fingers from a flame and gnaw on what little meat is available.


The lot of us are cannibals now.


Kind of a scary thought.


And we're eating another cannibal.


It's almost funny.


Almost.


But not quite.


There was nothing else we could've done.


The four others are separated and shivering on the opposite side of the fires.


This stone cabin is too open and freezing to stay much longer. Fortunately, this fire will last long enough.


The rain pours harshly outside, and water creeps through cracks in the rocks.


I'd prefer it if I was still alone. But, these people need help. Sadly, I'll have to be the one to offer.


I have to keep moving anyway.


"You all want to go when this rain gives up?" I ask the class. "Find someplace a little more comfortable than... a cave?"


The kids don't answer. They're still shaken up.


Quaua sighs and hums.


Ogio leans forward. "Yeah."


The goosebumps across their skin and the red in their noses.


Bug only had so many pelts around, and his fur isn't doing me much good.


All of our clothes are placeholders for something better. Anything better.








The rain dies.






| Author’s Notes |


~ Happenings ~

Onnie has wings?

The survivors are all considered cannibals since they had still eaten a person. A person does not necessarily have to be of the same race for them to be considered cannibals.


~ Characters ~

Quaua: abc.

Ogio: abc.

(Kid): abc.

(Kid): abc.

(Kid): abc.

(Kid): abc.



© 2023 Stasis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on June 20, 2023
Last Updated on July 8, 2023