You’re Welcome: Back (14) | Jun

You’re Welcome: Back (14) | Jun

A Chapter by Stasis

In my dreams is where I find the only time to think over what's transpired. The situation plays through my head - start to finish.


In this time of conscious absence, I'm consulted by Athen. The deity assists in my settling, following comfort with the requests he tried to bring up before.


"No doubt there are other people like you now. People that are now able to call upon our power. There's no telling their intentions. And we can't rely on others to fix the world."


"So, we'll need to find others?" I ask.


The deity continues, "Even I know this is one we cannot win alone. Fortunately for us, as soon as our souls release, we don't have a choice on our next host. It's likely surviving deities were expelled to the closest host around."


"So," I think over his words, "your opposition will find us?"


"Mm," Athen follows. "Concealing ourselves like this costs us control of our new bodies. There's no telling where they'd be."


"Who is your opposition?" I voice.


"I don't know," Athen strokes his beard. "Any god could cause harm at the moment. And I can't help you much without sending a signal."


"Deities have caused enough harm, don't you think." I stick my chest out as he hovers above on his shield. As long as we're in my head, I doubt he could hurt m-.


"Kid, it breaks our laws," Athen retaliates quickly, acknowledging the start of my argument. "However you feel about us is no fault of our own... most of the time."


I settle. Arguing religious beliefs will do us no good. Especially right now.


"I, a god of war," he continues. "Am at the mercy of an 11-year-old who knows nothing of what the world holds."








Memories of the storm gloss my mind as the crowd's screams of fear fade into the calling of children outside.


My eyes shoot open to a spotless ceiling.


I take into account the amount of comfort I'm getting from his mattress - not at all like home.


I think.


I prop myself up to scan the room when I suddenly come face to face with one of the three wanderers.


The quick and unpredictable movement takes me by surprise which pushes me to the wall behind.


"You're awake!" she exclaims while staring me down.


A kid with a crescent of hair constantly dropped between her eyes, with a larger crescent wrapping from shoulder to shoulder - loose enough to avoid her neck. A kid younger than me.


She walks to the wall opposite me and sits near the door. "I was beginning to worry when you wouldn't last night. Yesterday the boys came to the conclusion you were dead."


"Dead?" he interrupts.


"Well, you were breathing and all, you just weren't showing any other signs of life."


I think.


How long has it been?


Her expression fades. "A little later would have made for a three day of slumber."


Hiding my shock, I repeat, "...Three days..."


My eyes are drawn to my satchel hanging from a chair nearby. It's been torn to bits and looks as if it would pull apart at any moment. It was opened to show the gift from my brother.


I assess my clothes and notice a new shirt that covers my torso, and find mine bundled at the foot of the bed under my satchel.


"Mhm," the spark in her face returns, "That's why I'm happy you woke today. Much longer we were going to leave without you."


I shoot her a concerned look.


"I mean, we would have had someone watching over you in our place," she frantically attempts an appropriate explanation, overusing hand gestures to assist the matter.


The mood of the atmosphere shifts, reminding me of whenever the inhabitants of the lake caught me staring.


"Why are you so grateful I woke?" I ask. "We've never met."


Her posture returns, she stands and waddles back over to me. "I'm Ala," she offers a hand.


"Jun," I stammer while accepting her gesture.


"We've met now."


Silence fills the room for a few seconds too long. I fix myself.


"Thanks," I utter.


She rewards me with another smile, "You're welcome."








Finally assessing the room that's kept me comfortable for the... three and a half days... I notice immediately that it's a lot cleaner than any building I've seen before.


As my eyes wander, Ala provides some explanation.


"We're in a village hidden from all who don't know," she chimes. "It was a struggle inviting you in. Not any stranger is allowed to even know about this place."


"So why was I?" I question.


"Because you got lucky," she replies with a cheek. "I'm not allowed to say why so that's all you-."


"Ah, you've awoken," squawks an elderly man as he welcomes himself inside. "The prince and princess have been so worried about you."


Ala's eyes widen and her expression fades, he's just let the secret out.


Defeated, she fills with embarrassment and falls to the floor.


"...Please stop talking..."


"Hehh hehh hehh," he chuckles heartily. "I take it you haven't met Prince Epherum."


I shake my head with my eyebrows remaining up.


"He may not seem it but I believe he's as soft as this one. Hehh hehh hehh," he continues.


Amused by his antics, I respond. "Anything else I should know?"


"Hehh hehh hehh. Yes, boy. The reason our village may seem strange to you when you take notice is that our population is guarded by the element of Water itself."


Ala lies in shock at what he's revealed. With another secret dispelled, she imagines that laugh echoing within her head.


"Solomon, you may call me," he offers me his walking cane to which I shake. He pivots and points it directly toward the draft from outside. Through the opened door, stood a very unique construction.


"I live in that roughed-up building on the corner, and boy, you come to me if you need anything. Already I sense good in you," his cane returns to me and presses against my left shoulder.


"Hehh hehh hehh," the old man turns and limps toward the exit. "But... If you choose to turn against us..." The room dulls and a disturbing aura falls upon me. A more serious voice escapes from Solomon. "...I'll be the first to stand in your way."


And with that, he returns from whence he came. The door comes to a gentle close behind him.


We hear laughing up the street.


Moments of quiet pass by.


"Don't mind him," Ala interjects. "He's our prophet, and sort of a second layer of protection here. He just wants us safe."


"That's fine," I respond. "We had someone like him." I remember the vine that reached around my ankle.


"Hm," she frowns.


I sit myself up and swing my legs off the ledge of the bed.


The world drops silent as I return to my thoughts.


"The boys are outside if you'd like to go introduce yourself," Ala pops.


"Meanwhile, I've got quite the menu to sort out. I'm sure you're starved."


I shuffle to my feet, stumbling slightly. "Thanks," I whine as I head toward the light outside. I could even chew the wings of a Pegasus.


"And before I forget."


Oh.


She hands me a vial of water.


"I took it from your lake but I promise it's safe to drink," she chuckles.


"Thanks," I repeat once again, bowing my head a little.






| Author’s Notes |


~ Happenings ~

The premise of all of this is that Jun is to find more people like him? But that might get kinda boring. I have been influenced by Devilman Crybaby (as if that isn’t obvious from my temporary book cover), so hopefully I can pull something off as different or interesting.

“three full days”. Maybe this is a red herring. Maybe three full days will refer to something else.

It has been three days since the Storm. A lot has happened that our eyes have not witnessed.



© 2023 Stasis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on June 21, 2023
Last Updated on July 8, 2023