New Beginnings

New Beginnings

A Chapter by Talia
"

After this everyone wants a fresh start!

"

New Beginnings

It was a month until Talia’s graduation. But it came before they knew it. As planned Gracie and her parents arrived early so she could help Talia get ready.

Talia was always more of a tomboy than a girly girl but she wore girls clothes that were semi cute, Gracie would allow no less, and would consent to being dressed up for special occasions. So she had a few outfit choices picked out to go under her robe. If she had had her way she would have worn jeans and a tank top sneakers too as much as that would have freaked Gracie out. Gracie was a stylist in training literally she was going to an arts school that had a interior design concentration, though she also took some classes in fashion design as well.

“Now this is suitable for your big day,” Gracie crowed proudly having put together some crazy match from her closet that Talia would have never seen a cute shorter flippy jean skirt and this bright pink and blue sweater shirt combo with pointed silver kitten heals. Talia rolled her eyes and took the clothes from Gracie. “So what is going to happen with my hair? And don’t make me wear too much jewelry or make up please, I’d like Brian to be able to recognize me when he sees me.”

Gracie laughed, “I wont go too crazy, I

promise. I was thinking putting it all up with curls and pins, not as bad as prom but around that style.” Talia made a face and stuck out her tongue at Gracie. “As for your make up its gonna stay simple but a little darker than usual for all the pictures and the party later,” She winked and giggled. “Jewelry I was thinking simple silver hoops. The hope necklace AV gave you this,” She pulled out a small jewelry box, “we got you a little something too.” Talia shook her head, “It’s too much.” Talia protested opening the small box her curiosity getting the best of her. She pulled out a delicate white gold tennis bracelet with oval rubies and small diamonds between them much too expensive “I love it but it’s too much sister. I’ll break it.” Gracie laughed “You’ll hurt their feelings mom heard you talking about your mom’s necklace and when we saw it couldn’t help it I know its not exactly like the necklace but we thought it would go with if she ever gave it to you.”

Talia shook her head and reached out with a sudden hug, “Thank you sister I love it!”

Gracie smiled smugly and reached for the pins and curling iron, “Now sit still so I can do your hair.” Talia sat as still as she could and the girls chatted through the rest of the afternoon as they got ready for the big night.

Finally it was time. The hair was practically lacquered into place with the mortar board on top pinned securely into place, make up immaculate, and the perfect outfit on as the girls come out of Talia’s room Gracie was dressed up too but all eyes were definitely on Talia. They walked down the stairs giggling about the night to come. Her Mom, Dad, Papa (Grandpa), AV, Uncle Mark and their kids, Talia’s niece and Grace’s parents were all there waiting for them eating snacks and chatting. They all wanted to get pictures of her no one wanted to believe that she was all grown up now.

After about 10 more flashes than was necessary it was time to leave for the ceremony. Talia and Gracie rode with Talia’s parents over to the gym and then she said bye as they left her to go get seats in the cold outdoor stadium.

it’s a good thing I sprayed her hair so much this wind would have ruined it. Gracie thought truth was she was bored out of her mind. She couldn’t hear the ceremony, what with the wind blowing and the trains kept coming through and blowing their horns, why THS ever thought having a graduation ceremony out on the football field right next to the train tracks was a good idea she would never know. Then it was Talia’s turn and they blew the illegal air horns that she promised Tali she’d bring and the whole family screamed and clapped for her. Then the ceremony was over pretty quickly and it was time to rush the field. I’m glad we agreed to meet at a certain spot... We never would have found her.

John Talia’s dad was carrying her sleeping niece Jenny and the group somehow made it through the throng of people to their agreed upon meeting spot. For the next 10 minutes it was flash bulbs and hugs and a couple of tears. Gracie held Jenny as all the adults were hugging, kissing and congratulating Talia. Finally it was Gracie’s turn to do the same and after they hugged and got a picture taken Jenny started to wake so Talia unzipped her robe and slid Jenny inside and carried her around the rest of the time.

Then it was time for the party. Gracie was stoked! This was supposed to be so off the chain. It was a sober party so no alcohol of course but they had some big DJ coming in and it was supposed to be like an all night rave. The girls quickly went back to Talia’s house and changed clothes. Donning a sweet but sexy club look touched up make up and then were back in Talia’s Jeep saying their goodbyes to the final guests.

They left about 9 which we all know is early for a party but Talia couldn’t wait any longer so they went over to her friend Becca’s house.

“Knock Knock” Talia called out as they walked in to Becca’s place.

“Up here” called Becca’s sing song voice over the music already bumping in her room. The girls said hi to her parents and climbed up the staircase to Becca’s room.

“Hey girls” Becca greeted each of them with a hug she was Talia’s closest friend at THS cause she was always so welcoming of everyone. “Ready to party?” The girls all giggled and finished getting ready for the party. Gracie changed into her party outfit, just a bit to risky for her parents taste and then they all put on the finishing touches on their make up fighting playfully for mirror space in Becca’s massive bathroom.

“Is Brian supposed to be there?” Becca teased Talia.

“Should be.” Talia shrugged. She couldn’t wait to see her boyfriend but didn’t want to seem over eager. “Did you see the pic he posed for, for me?” Becca shook her head and Talia pulled it out giggling “My Big Hunk.” In the picture Brian had pulled a silly overly masculine pose while holding a Big Hunk candy bar (her favorite). Becca giggled “That’s sooo him! Awesome!”

Talia smiled but inwardly she was worried. Most couples don’t make the college transition very well and she wasn’t sure that they would be any different. They were such a new couple! She wanted to be but he was her first serious boyfriend and didn’t know what would happen. Things had been so good but she felt like he was pulling back from her lately. It couldn’t be all in her imagination could it? But tonight was a night of celebrations not depressions! So she shook the thought from her head as she pretended to fuss with her hair just as Becca was saying “You’re so lucky girl, he’s a keeper!”

Talia beamed and noticed Gracie studying her. “I think so.” she said slyly

Gracie winked at her. It was good to have her friend around for times like this, it was better than having a sister, they never really fought and they knew each other so well, and could always tell each other anything even bad stuff.

Gracie looked at the clock, “Oh wow its already 10:30, almost time to go right?”

The girls grabbed their purses and jammed down to Becca’s car a Mercedes, well a 1985 model that had a heater that didn’t always like to work, but it was still an awesome car!

A few minutes later they were pulling up to the party. It was at a friend’s house out near Stallion Springs and already was jumping. Talia texted Brian and soon the gang was all there. Gracie was friends with all of Talia’s friends and so when Talia and Brian went to dance she didn’t feel weird. She danced with Scott and a couple of the other guys and all in all it was a good party. Soon Talia was back and they were all dancing and having a good time. The music was loud, fast and fun. The only thing different about this party than the ones that Gracie usually attended was there was no alcohol, but it wasn’t missed. This was more like an under-aged club rather than a house party.

The night flew by so quickly and soon it was almost dawn. Gracie and Becca were ready to go crash but Talia was off with Brian again. After looking for her for 10 minutes they decided to text her.

What’s up we wanna go…

BEEP

came the reply she looked and I’m not ready we r talking… B will take me 2 Becca’s….is k? we were gonna crash there ne ways…

Gracie looked at the text and bit her lip, Becca was not gonna like this, and handed Becca the phone. Becca looked worried, “Do you think it’s ok?” She asked Gracie. Gracie took a deep breath, “Talia wouldn’t do anything bad, and Brain seems ok… I think it will be fine.” Becca nodded absently as she gathered her things.

Gracie sighed as she did the same and texted her friend back. k…have ur purse…we out… call if 911 u no… be safe! love u sis!

Beep came Talia’s text Thanks! Love u 2 sis! Will b give Becca a hug 4 me! C U soon promise!

Gracie shook her head and got in the car with Becca. The air was tense with things unsaid and worry for their friend. “She’ll be fine…. She’ll be fine” Gracie said quietly reassuring, but she wasn’t sure who she was reassuring more herself or Becca. Becca started the car and they drove back to her house and went upstairs. Both more tired than ever and unable to sleep, they changed into jammies and went down stairs to wait for Talia. Gracie needed to do something. “Want coffee?” She asked Becca. “Sure” Becca nodded. So they went through the motions of making the coffee and they talked absently about the party.

They didn’t have to wait long for her, about an hour after they left the party there was the sound of a car. They migrated to the living room and from outside the front door they heard Brian saying “Please don’t take it like this, I like you I really do and I want us to be friends still…” Becca and Gracie both looked at each other with knowing looks and pity for their friend. “Friends?” came Talia’s bitter reply. “God was I stupid… I thought I could be really falling for you. And all you want to be is friends now after the last month? I…” “Don’t be like that, you’re an awesome girl T it’s just…” “Don’t you dare pull the it’s not you it’s me s**t. I thought you were better than this Brian. Stupid me.” Brian tried to hug her and Talia shrugged him off “Really a hug your trying to hug me“ she said indignantly “Baby I just hate to see you cry.” She glared at him “You don’t have the right to call me Baby anymore.” She said coldly. “I need to go now before I say anything that I might really regret.”

The girls hurried into the kitchen quietly, as Talia opened the door. She came into the kitchen, her makeup streaked from crying and shoes in her hand. She curled up in one of the coffee house style chairs that Becca’s mother had in the corner of her kitchen and looked at both of the girls. “I know it was fast, but I really think I loved him.” She whispered and with that she put her head on her knees and started crying. “I was so stupid, why did I let myself fall? Why? High school couples rarely work anyways…” She fell in to sobs again as the girls brought her a blanket and a cup of coffee. “God I’m stupid, why did I think he loved me?” She stayed quiet and drank her coffee that was too sweet compared to how black she felt at the moment. She couldn’t look at her friends, didn’t want to see the pity in their eyes.

Gracie took the cup from her and touched the top of her head. Talia looked up at her friend… no that was the wrong word sister that’s what Gracie was to her. Talia searched her eyes and saw no pity there only understanding and love. Though Gracie said nothing she knew she would understand whatever happened. Talia sighed and started to gather the courage to tell her girls what had happened.

“I know you guys wanna know, thank you for not asking.” She paused as she thought back on not just the night but the past few weeks and accepted a second cup of coffee from Gracie. “But before I tell you can I go change? And get this crap off my face I don’t really want to worry your mom Becca.” She smiled, a real smile and they girls all breathed a sigh of relief as they all went up stairs to Becca’s room and Talia washed her face and changed.

Finally they all sat in Becca’s room Talia in the window seat and Becca and Gracie in the beanbag chairs Becca had in her room. Becca couldn’t stand it any longer, she had been very patient and wasn’t patient by nature. “So, what happened?”

Talia smiled at her. “Ok, Ok! So everything seemed great all night until we took off that last time. We were all cuddled up and just relaxed. Talking about random things. One of us mentioned summer plans. I reminded him that I was going to be up near Fresno working with my uncle until school started in the fall. Then I asked when he was moving up, he frowned. He said that he needed to tell me something. He just found out that he didn’t get that scholarship for Fresno State he was counting on and so he wasn’t going to be moving to Fresno after all. He was going to move to Bakersfield and go to BC for at least a year. So I said well that happens sometimes it sucks but it’s ok. I guess we’ll just have to make sure we visit a lot and gave him a big hug. Then he said I’m gonna have to get a job too. He stood up and walked a couple of steps away. I walked up and hugged him from behind. That’s fine I told him I’ll work with whatever your schedule is. He threw up his hands and said don’t you get it? I don’t think this is really gonna work your gonna move up there…” Talia’s voice broke a little, and she took a sip of her coffee. Becca and Gracie both shook their heads. “And then I couldn’t really talk, I mean I thought he was taking me out there to tell me something sweet maybe even tell me “I love you” you know?” The girls nodded. “God was I stupid all I said was then take me home. He did… tried to talk to me all the way here but I didn’t trust my voice. And then you know what was said on the front porch I’m sure.” The girls looked guilty as she half heartedly stuck her tongue out at them. “Well that’s all girls… I guess I’m single again…sucks.” She finished as she took a sip of her coffee. The girls sipped their drinks. When all of a sudden Talia jumped up and started getting dressed. “Well what are you waiting for? Get dressed you two. I need to get out and do something…” The girls looked at her like she was nuts. “Come on you guys its summer and oh F**k it! It’s a time for new beginnings! Let’s hit the LA shopping district and spend some of our grad money Becca! I know you got some spending money Gracie. You both love to shop. Let’s go!” Talia was in the bathroom turning on the radio quietly and rocking out as she put her makeup on.

“What do we do?” Becca whispered to Gracie.

“We get ready too. If she makes it through the make up then she’ll be ok and we’ll go. If not then we sleep and go out to breakfast as planned.” Gracie shrugged and started to get dressed too turning on the flat iron and dancing along side Talia.

Becca shrugged and followed suit. Soon all three girls were bouncing around the bathroom like they had just got home from the club and were still on the adrenaline high.

Talia was looking at herself with an appreciative look when she stopped short. She looked at the rose quartz heart shaped necklace she had on. He had given it to her. Gracie saw her stop and turned off the flat iron, she whispered to Becca nodding to Talia. “It’s not gonna happen today. We need chick flicks and ice cream.” “And sleep” Becca added secretly relieved.

Talia reached up and took off the necklace and held it out to better look at it. Then she dropped it on the counter softly. She looked at the other two girls and said “I’m sorry I just can’t…” and started crying again. They lead her to the bed and helped her get in. Gracie and Becca both got in on either side all of them hugging. Gracie was playing with her hair and in a soothing voice said “It’s ok sister, relax it’s time to heal and renew now, no rush.” Gracie muttered a few healing words over Talia and soon she was out. Becca and Gracie fell asleep quickly after that.

Gracie texted



© 2009 Talia


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on November 19, 2009


Author

Talia
Talia

Bakersfield , CA



About
I'm a new writer, but I have always loved stories and imagination. From the time I was a little girl I have been working them out with my Daddy! Yet only recently have succumbed to the nudges from hi.. more..

Writing
Ch 2 Suprises Ch 2 Suprises

A Chapter by Talia