Discoveries

Discoveries

A Chapter by Talia
"

the start of the big adventure

"

Discoveries

 

 

The next few days were a blur and then it was time to move up to Riverdale for the summer. Gracie had stayed because Talia was gonna take her home. The two packed Talia’s Jeep and after they said their goodbye to her folks they were off.

Two weeks after that they were both sick of working already. Both girls wanted a break. It was a blast working with your best friend especially since they both were hard workers and pushed each other to finish each handy man job faster and better than the other girl. The advantage to that was that they would have more time to go screw around later.

Then Talia came up with the idea that they should take the week after her birthday off. Gracie’s parents had a house down in San Clemente and the girls could take advantage of it. Gracie loved the idea but was nervous because working for Uncle Mark had been part of her punishment for the whole almost dying thing. Talia was sure that they would let them go so Gracie brought it up to her mom. And, surprisingly, Talia was right Lee said that it was fine and that they just had to check in often. So the girls started planning out their vacation. They got everything together and all of a sudden it was the 7th and time to go.

Talia looked at Gracie nervously. It seemed like the Marquez’s always knew when they had lied about something. And the huge manila envelope that was hidden in her bag was making her nervous. She could swear that her skin was tingling she was so excited. She was bouncing she was such a bundle of nerves and excitement. She looked at Gracie. It seemed like every time they accidentally bumped or touched Gracie would get the same feelings she was having.

I wish she would just tell me. Yes definitely an empath. That buzz she keeps hitting me with has to be the transfer power. Crap I cant avoid her. What could it be. Well its probably big that’s why she cant tell me. Parents cant know. Ugh. And so on Gracie’s thoughts kept running.

Talia looked over nervously at Gracie as they finished packing. “I’ll go put these in the car” She said. She hadn’t told her what she had found out about her family. She almost couldn’t hold it together. She wanted to get her purse to the car so that Lee wouldn’t accidentally see the envelope. As she placed everything in the Prius. Gracie hated the car but her mom insisted because of the mileage. And she made sure that all their road trip music was in place behind the seat next to the small ice chest that they always took full of drinks and of course they had some snacks. Neither one of them really liked to stop till they got where they were going.

Before she knew it they were on the freeway speeding away from Gracie’s place. As soon as the wheels hit the freeway she dug out the envelope and threw it on to Gracie’s lap with a mischievous smile.

“So I take it we aren’t going to San Clemente?” Gracie said.

“Nope”

“A new lead?” Gracie gasped as she started to go through the documents and pictures. She stopped at a picture mouth agape in disbelief. “It’s them.” She whispered. She was looking at what could be a picture of herself in 70’s era clothes she turned the picture over it said Mai age 16 ‘77. It was her mother. How did the investigator get it? She sat numbly as Talia filled her in with the details that reaffirmed the story her biological dad, Benjamin, had left her with. She had 4 older brothers there were pictures of them with their families and kids. Her older sister was still alive too she still looked sickly in her picture like her dad had described her. And in the full family picture that was included there was an old lady her grandmother maybe? She seemed familiar.

“Are you ok?” Talia shook her, they were almost to Bakersfield where their first turn off was.

How had they already gotten to Bakersfield?

“Oh Gracie I’m sorry. Maybe this was a mistake. I would have told you sooner. I did plan to go to the beach first but.. Well I thought we couldn’t pass up this opportunity to see.. I mean she just looks so much like you… I thought the guy was trying to fool me at first.. Oh My God please talk to me… I didn’t think you would be mad… I thought you would be stoked… oh s**t… sister talk to me” Talia babbled on nervously. Gracie hadn’t hardly moved since she saw those pictures of her siblings and her mother. What have I done? Talia thought bleakly. She had pulled off at Weedpatch at one of the gas stations. “Should we just go to the beach sister? I didn’t mean to upset you.” She said quietly panicking she couldn’t read Gracie. There was too much going on in her head to understand what she was feeling. “Be right back” She mumbled to Gracie and went in the gas station to use the restroom. While she was washing her hands and touching up her gloss she just decided that this was a bad idea and that she would turn around and head straight to the beach house. That must be what Gracie wanted. She sighed a little and set her shoulders walking confidently out of the bathroom. The first thing she sees is Gracie at the counter with a load of snacks and drinks.

“What are you doing?” Talia said feeling a bit confused.

“Well it’s 9 more hours so I’m getting more goodies for the trip and some cash out. Can’t use the card if we want to even try to hide this from the ‘rents. Maybe we should stop at the bank. They know I like cash so it wouldn’t be that weird. Um did we bring enough clothes? Or the right stuff? Shoes? Crap I don’t think I brought the right ones. I just have heels packed… what if I cant wear them there? S**t” Gracie babbled on.

Talia shook her head in disbelief “No I made sure to bring your kangaroo shoes and your pumas plus I threw in several jeans and a couple of sweaters. You should be covered for all occasions with how you pack otherwise.” She laughed Gracie packed all but the kitchen sink in that duffle bag they lovingly called the body bag (cause it was big enough to fit Gracie’s whole body in, they knew because they had tried to do it) though she couldn’t say much she was just as thorough she just had more than one bag.

She added a couple of her favorite snacks to the pile and then after they paid they lugged it all out to the car. When they got there Gracie nearly tackled her with a huge hug tears streaming down her face. “You found them sister” she whispered. “I cant believe it how did you… it doesn’t matter thank you so much. I didn’t realize how much this meant to me.” Gracie swallowed back more tears. The only thing better than this would be to be able to meet my parents but that can never happen. Gracie thought.

“Good” Talia sighed so relieved. The buzzing feeling to her skin was back as they both got excited for the trip they were just really starting now. The feeling passed through the hug the shared. Gracie looked at her friend. The only thing that would make this better is if she knew everything about me She thought wistfully.

 

Time didn’t seem to apply in her world anymore. It had been at least 2 hours so far. How crazy Gracie thought. They had like 9 more hours left in the car but only a couple more until it would be time to call the ‘rents. Only 9 more hours until she would see her brothers and sister, maybe even her nieces and nephews. Gracie switched CDs and started to really process all of what she had just learned.



© 2009 Talia


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on November 19, 2009


Author

Talia
Talia

Bakersfield , CA



About
I'm a new writer, but I have always loved stories and imagination. From the time I was a little girl I have been working them out with my Daddy! Yet only recently have succumbed to the nudges from hi.. more..

Writing
Ch 2 Suprises Ch 2 Suprises

A Chapter by Talia