Lesson of the Shells

Lesson of the Shells

A Chapter by Trée
"

Kyra reflects on her shell collection.

"

In every group a leader eventually emerges. Aggressiveness, initiative and a bit of charisma often marked those who took control from those who followed. Often, however, did not mean always. Kyra possessed initiative in spades, but no one would have ever labeled her aggressive nor would the word charisma ever been mentioned with her name. Yet still, the other seven members of Bravo-Four-Zero had unanimously elected Kyra to lead them to a new world, a new life. In essence, they were placing their lives in her hands and doing so without hesitation.

The launch from Metaluna had gone without a hitch. Bravo-Four-Zero quietly proceeded on the coordinates suggested by their magnanimous guests, and for the first time since prior to the massive wolf-like hurricanes devoured their homeworld, everyone onboard appeared somewhat relaxed if not eternally grateful for their good fortune.

Kyra, not one to socialize, spent a lot of time in her cabin. Her mind unable to rest with the burden of seven other souls entrusted to her care, she paced back and forth. She tried to convince herself that what she was doing was walking meditation, but she had long since learned the folly of fooling oneself. Gazing for a book to occupy her mind, her eyes instead came to rest on the one indulgence she allowed herself to bring—her childhood shell collection from the secluded beaches off Valla cove where an old family retreat had stood just off the beach for ages. Generation after generation enjoyed the solitude Valla cove offered. Valla was perhaps Kyra’s favorite place, a place of reflection, a place of peace, a place of and for renewal.

Part of every Hynerian’s childhood involved building a shell collection. In part, because nearly everyone lived near the beach and partly because all primary schooling taught the lesson of the shells. Hynerians prided themselves on cultivating a culture of acceptance based on love from within. Because of the planet’s elliptical orbit, twice a year the sun’s radiation became intense to the point of causing birth defects. One of every seven Hynerian children suffered from some sort of physical deformity. Most were very minor, yet still there.

The sun also caused the same ratio of deformities in shells. Walk any beach and one was sure to find the most beautiful shells and also some quite deformed. In school, each child had to build a shell collection that included some of these deformed shells. Shells were used since even the ones that were deformed were still stunningly gorgeous and in most cases considered more valuable than the perfectly formed one. The lesson was clear. Difference was not to be shunned, but to be embraced. The sight of hundreds of young school children running around with their shell collections, proudly showing off one against the other, remains in every Hynerian’s memory like it was yesterday. Nor was the lesson lost. To be different was to be embraced, cherished and loved.

Kyra stood still, her shell collection in her hands, staring intently, absorbing the peace of the beach while letting the lesson of the shells wash over and cleanse her doubts.



© 2008 Trée


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm in love with the story already, and I, too, was drawn right in. It truly flows, so that content and form mesh to create this other world.

I'm extremely intruiged, and my favorite favorite line is, "Difference was not to be shunned, but to be embraced."

I know already that I'm going to love this book :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really really love this chapter...embracing difference-- seeing it as something to love! I like the heaviness that is weighing on her heart...the responsibility of seven other members! She's not your average kind o bear-- no question about it! Kyra is very special indeed, and I look forward to see how things devlelop as the chapters read on...you have certainly instilled some solidness to this character. I'm loving her.
~L

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Wow, beautifully written. It flows together so smoothly, it makes me jealous :) This is the kind of writing that I strive for and hope to succeed one day. I'll keep reading as long as my laptop will allow.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I'm in love with the story already, and I, too, was drawn right in. It truly flows, so that content and form mesh to create this other world.

I'm extremely intruiged, and my favorite favorite line is, "Difference was not to be shunned, but to be embraced."

I know already that I'm going to love this book :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Im excited so far.....I'll keep reading.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

This is quite beautifully written, and i'm wanting more!

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

An excellent wordsmith with natural flow, and a wonderful lesson recounted with vision and originality. Full of heart. Beautiful.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Beautifully written, you pull the reader in from the first line!

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

312 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 20, 2008

Decadent Tranquility

Ripe

By Trée

Need

By Trée

Coin

By Trée


Author

Trée
Trée

Franklin, TN



About
When I was in college I was told I should not consider a career in writing. For the next 20 years I wrote nothing. About three years ago, I discovered blogging and fractals. I started posting fractals.. more..

Writing
657. Quotes: 8 657. Quotes: 8

A Poem by Trée



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Yellow Yellow

A Chapter by Trée


You Hung the Moon You Hung the Moon

A Chapter by Trée


The Eighth Glass The Eighth Glass

A Chapter by Trée


I'll Stand By You I'll Stand By You

A Chapter by Trée