Thalassic Evenings

Thalassic Evenings

A Chapter by Trée
"

A Rashomon view of Trev and Em on the deck overlooking the ocean at the cottage.

"

ed note: a Rashomon beginning, sorta.

T
rev leaned on the railing, the ocean before glittering as a field of diamonds as the stars above gave yield to the rising moon.

"Beautiful moonrise," said Em.

Trev turned. "Not nearly as beautiful as your smile."

-----

Trev stood before the ocean, chest out like the figurehead on the bow of a ship, rail holding his waist in tow. Em floated from the cottage, wrapping her arms around his shoulders, her hair falling on his chest, cheek on cheek, smiles felt rather than seen.

"I love you baby."

"Like a fish loves the sea."

"Come back inside then, and swim up my stream."

-----

Upon the shimmering ocean, a thousand tiny waves winked silent salutations. Trev smiled, drew breath, chest expanding, arms braced on the rail. Em approached, her sheer gown fluttering in soft night breeze.

"Boo."

"Hey."

-----

The wooden deck looked gray under the pale moon light, shadows extending like fingers into the cottage from his angular frame. Em smiled. Trev looked angelic in the cool light of night, his hair spiked from nocturnal activities, waving like long grass in the evening breeze. With nary a cloud on the horizon, the moon loomed above the horizon, his chiseled jaw silhouetted within the circumference of light.

"Beautiful."

"Yes."

"I didn't mean the moon."

-----

The cottage stood in the night as it had stood ten thousand nights before, almost. They say the light from a home changes in tone to the love within. From a distance, they said, the little cottage on the hill, that night, shone with a warmth no one in the village could ever remember seeing before. The light was not brighter; in fact, it was not anything anyone could put their finger on. Yet, undeniably, something was different and they all agreed, that difference made the labor of the day worth the warmth of the pillow.

 

-----

 

Soundtrack: Brooke Fraser's Hymn

 



© 2008 Trée


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I followed you into the sea with the music having entered through my ears but clutching my heart, but I'll be darned if I don't always end up back on the shore struggling for breath. If I could just float and talk at the same time, I'd have found the knack of commenting properly. :-)
My reading heart shall always remain true for "nary" alone, bless you for your use of such an utterly wonderful, too forgotten word. Each of these has something special, a home that shines with love, sheer and fluttering on the breeze, glitter and yielding, railing that holds in tow, am thankful none were lost. A showcase of your limitlessness. And the song, the song consumes.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I followed you into the sea with the music having entered through my ears but clutching my heart, but I'll be darned if I don't always end up back on the shore struggling for breath. If I could just float and talk at the same time, I'd have found the knack of commenting properly. :-)
My reading heart shall always remain true for "nary" alone, bless you for your use of such an utterly wonderful, too forgotten word. Each of these has something special, a home that shines with love, sheer and fluttering on the breeze, glitter and yielding, railing that holds in tow, am thankful none were lost. A showcase of your limitlessness. And the song, the song consumes.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

261 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 6, 2008
Last Updated on July 6, 2008

Decadent Tranquility

Ripe

By Trée

Need

By Trée

Coin

By Trée


Author

Trée
Trée

Franklin, TN



About
When I was in college I was told I should not consider a career in writing. For the next 20 years I wrote nothing. About three years ago, I discovered blogging and fractals. I started posting fractals.. more..

Writing
657. Quotes: 8 657. Quotes: 8

A Poem by Trée